Wrestling Forum banner

Backstage News On WWE's Plans For The Maria Kanellis Pregnancy Storyline; Maury Povich Possibly Involved

7566 93
Update:

Could we see longtime TV host Maury Povich on WWE RAW soon?

As Kellie noted before, WWE posted a graphic for the Maria Kanellis pregnancy storyline yesterday and asked who the father is of the son that she is expecting - Rusev or Mike Kanellis. They tagged The Maury Show and the show responded.

"I've got two words for you...Paternity Test. @WWE @RusevBUL @MariaLKanellis @RealMikeBennett #Raw #Maury22," wrote the official account for the show. You can see the exchange below.

It's interesting to note that there has been a pitch within WWE this week to have Maury participate in a RAW segment to push the storyline, according to PWInsider. Maury's show, which films near WWE HQ in Stamford, Connecticut, is most known for bringing people on to do paternity tests. There's no word yet on if WWE has reached an agreement to bring Maury in for a segment, but we will keep you updated.

As noted, Maria first named Ricochet as the father of her child on this week's RAW but that just led to Ricochet squashing Mike after he insisted Maria was lying. Maria then brought back Rusev to WWE TV and named him as the father. Rusev also squashed Mike in a quick match. It was reported this week, via the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, that WWE plans to keep building the storyline to another reveal, and that Rusev won't be the father in the end.

Maria is just over 20 weeks pregnant with her son, which will be her second child with Mike. Stay tuned for updates on the storyline.

Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...o-film-wwe-raw-paternity-test-segment-659856/

-----

Rusev will not be the final reveal in the Maria Kanellis pregnancy angle, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

As noted, this week's RAW saw Maria, who is 20 weeks along in her pregnancy, reveal that she and Mike Kanellis were expecting a baby boy. She then named Ricochet as the father, which led to Ricochet squashing Mike in a singles match. Ricochet insisted she was lying, and that led to Rusev making his return after Maria named him the father. Rusev squashed Mike in another singles match, but was dodged questions about getting Maria pregnant during a post-RAW interview.

The new report from the Observer notes that the eventual plan is to reveal who the father is, and build to that as a mystery angle for a ratings boost.

There's no word yet on who they have planned to be the father, but it will not be Rusev. It was noted that this will be more of a running joke instead of an angle that builds to a major reveal, despite the hope for a ratings boost.
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...ilding-to-another-reveal-in-the-maria-659810/
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
LOL. a mystery angle for a ratings boost. Who the fuck cares about this storyline?

I've been calling it from the beginning, though, the baby is going to be black. They're gonna make it crystal clear that Mike cannot possibly be the father as part of his humiliation.

· Banned
12,486 Posts
They seriously think this is going to boost ratings? The fuck thinks that we want to watch such silliness
I want it.

LOL. a mystery angle for a ratings boost. Who the fuck cares about this storyline?

I've been calling it from the beginning, though, the baby is going to be black. They're gonna make it crystal clear that Mike cannot possibly be the father as part of his humiliation.
I care.

The Fiend as the father can help his character to connect :vince
Now you're talking my language.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Why? Because it's funny? It's not even funny because it's funny, it's funny in a cringeworthy, badly acted, spiteful way where the humor is all about Vinces distaste for Mike Kanellis and trying to figure out why Vince hates him so much.

There is no reason to care about who Marias baby daddy is. It's not gonna lead to a push for that guy, it's not an accomplishment, it's not anything, it's just some dumb angle like Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

· Banned
12,486 Posts
Why? Because it's funny? It's not even funny because it's funny, it's funny in a cringeworthy, badly acted, spiteful way where the humor is all about Vinces distaste for Mike Kanellis and trying to figure out why Vince hates him so much.

There is no reason to care about who Marias baby daddy is. It's not gonna lead to a push for that guy, it's not an accomplishment, it's not anything, it's just some dumb angle like Mae Young giving birth to a hand.
It is trashy outrageous segments like this that keep the show from being geek match after geek match. Of course it isn't funny because it is funny. It is so bad, so poorly acted, such a terrible storyline...that makes it funny. That describes 90% of WWE humor. I don't give a shit who Maria's baby daddy is, but I'd rather watch a 5 minute Maria segment transitioning from a pointless Viking match to a pointless Ricochet match to buffer me from geek to geek.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
It is trashy outrageous segments like this that keep the show from being geek match after geek match. Of course it isn't funny because it is funny. It is so bad, so poorly acted, such a terrible storyline...that makes it funny. That describes 90% of WWE humor. I don't give a shit who Maria's baby daddy is, but I'd rather watch a 5 minute Maria segment transitioning from a pointless Viking match to a pointless Ricochet match to buffer me from geek to geek.
Well, personally, I'd rather watch GOOD entertaining segments like the Firefly Funhouse or a Samoa Joe promo, or conversely, to take it back to the past, a CM Punk promo, or a Steve Austin promo or a Mick Foley promo, or something like what AEW is doing with Jericho cutting promos while having a little bit of the BUBBLEIGH, or a Jon Moxley or an MJF promo, rather than some cringeworthy, poorly acted segment with shitty wrestlers and personalities clearly designed to take out Vinces frustations with some jobber, just because that segment ISN'T wrestling. That's me. I'm not gonna be entertained by something that isn't entertaining just because Ricochet and Cedric Alexander aren't insulting the business with their dance routines.

I wish we could have GOOD segments that are entertaining and drew excitement from the fans, with people who know how to be a larger than life star. Where did that go and why is it not possible anymore, and when it is, why are they buried for it?

· Registered
10,446 Posts
I'd love for someone to explain to me how this will benefit the product while keeping a straight face.

· Banned
12,486 Posts
Well, personally, I'd rather watch GOOD entertaining segments like the Firefly Funhouse or a Samoa Joe promo, or conversely, to take it back to the past, a CM Punk promo, or a Steve Austin promo or a Mick Foley promo, or something like what AEW is doing with Jericho cutting promos while having a little bit of the BUBBLEIGH, or a Jon Moxley or an MJF promo, rather than some cringeworthy, poorly acted segment with shitty wrestlers and personalities clearly designed to take out Vinces frustations with some jobber, just because that segment ISN'T wrestling. That's me. I'm not gonna be entertained by something that isn't entertaining just because Ricochet and Cedric Alexander aren't insulting the business with their dance routines.

I wish we could have GOOD segments that are entertaining and drew excitement from the fans, with people who know how to be a larger than life star. Where did that go and why is it not possible anymore, and when it is, why are they buried for it?
Welp. Bray and Joe are the only two still around. Also, when Austin/Rock/Jericho/etc. were still around there was still this kind of trashy humor to segway through the different segments. I don't blame people for not liking the trash part of the product, but i love it.

· Banned
12,486 Posts
I'd love for someone to explain to me how this will benefit the product while keeping a straight face.
RAW held my attention this week. It never does that. They used these segments and the other ridiculous story line I cant remember right now as buffers to get from one match to another. They also used the funhouse. RAW actually ran smoothly for once. Calling someone a beta cuck on national TV is also going to get people talking. (See the 10+ pages in the other thread)

· Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,016 Posts
If I'm Mike Bennett, I'm out of WWE and probably the marriage too as Maria is a psycho bitch and clearly had some part in this idea.

· Sassy Southern
Bless Your Heart
8,780 Posts
MAYBE if it involved someone we actually cared just a little bit about.. But Mike and Maria? Who gives a f...?
You cared enough to post in this thread about them. :lol

Anyway, Good on Mike and Maria even though the storyline is silly. They clearly are more focused on their future as a family than how they are pushed in the WWE. If you know that WWE will never give you a big push to even be US or IC Champ, then come up with something as silly as this and make the best of it.

· Banned
7,973 Posts
"Rusev will not be the final reveal in the Maria Kanellis pregnancy angle, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter."

Really? I guess nobody saw that coming. ;)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.