Wrestling Forum banner

Backstage- a setting of the past?

1565 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  SarcasmoBlaster
Is it me or does everything on WWE programming focus on the ring and that's it? Don't get me wrong of course it's wrestling that's where the action is supposed to go down, but the element of backstage beatdowns, chases, confrontations etc has been more or less phase out these days. Although I' not so sure if I would classify Bellas and Eve as a beatdown.

Also things like the parking lot, arrival of wrestlers etc are non existent. The only setting in WWE programming today is the ring and I think they're should be some variety. I'm not asking for matches to take place all over the arena (the last thing I want is 1999 all over again) but just have some variety.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Men of Mayhem
9,544 Posts
It was always so gimmicky. Excluding the surprise beatdowns and attempts at the Hardcore Championship, I had the opposite opinion- it really bothered me. This is suppose to be wrestling after all.

And to be frank, that is so overdone by TNA all the time.

· Registered
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was always so gimmicky. Excluding the surprise beatdowns and attempts at the Hardcore Championship, I had the opposite opinion- it really bothered me. This is suppose to be wrestling after all.

And to be frank, that is so overdone by TNA all the time.
This is what puzzles me. 90% of the posters on here favourite era was Attitude Era. Yet what made the Attitude Era so different compared to any other? The majority of the action took place outside of the ring and the moments that took place in it, were not even wrestling matches. Think back to all those great moments of the era. It was full of backstage beatdowns, parking lot brawls, heck shit happened in the road for crying out loud.

So it puzzles me that it was "awesome" in the AE but today it's too "gimmicky"

I'm not saying you're an AE lover but your response is pretty much identical to what the majority of users will tell me.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
i miss it. and annoyed that most of them now involve cena

· Men of Mayhem
9,544 Posts
This is what puzzles me. 90% of the posters on here favourite era was Attitude Era. Yet what made the Attitude Era so different compared to any other? The majority of the action took place outside of the ring and the moments that took place in it, were not even wrestling matches. Think back to all those great moments of the era. It was full of backstage beatdowns, parking lot brawls, heck shit happened in the road for crying out loud.

So it puzzles me that it was "awesome" in the AE but today it's too "gimmicky"

I'm not saying you're an AE lover but your response is pretty much identical to what the majority of users will tell me.
You got me there. Of course the Attitude Era was my favourite, and you're right, a ton of the action did occur outside of the ring.

But if they frequently did it now, I still think it would be gimmicky. We all know the Attitude Era cannot and will not be recreated. When I think of gimmicky I think of things being done over and over for a certain purpose.

If they came up with a legitimate reason to start this up again, I would just hope it wasn't for the sole reason to try and recreate the AE.

Though it was very Attitude Era-esque, I did enjoy when The Nexus took out Bret Hart with the limo. But that was its own story and had a legitimate reason.

· You're better than that Cole.
3,991 Posts
You know I was wondering the same thing, it seems like for the past 2-3 years it just match, backstage promo with Cena, match, backstage promo with Cena, match, backstage promo with Cena, etc. etc. the same routine all over again.

A fair share of feuds happen outside the parking lot, backstage, hotels, boiler rooms, garage areas, grocery stores, bingo halls etc. etc. and now just the common backstage interview and wrestling match routine. It seem like the Attitude Era and Aggression Era was 50x the “Entertainment” then today and I really mean that. Then once every blue moon, when the WWE does something like for today - they truly remind how fake wrestling is with all these multiple camera shots scattered everywhere-what happen to the realism. Take this for example.

Look when Austin invaded Pillman’s home –compared to the cheap Hollywood poor mans invasion of the PG era with horrible acting.

The Triple H/Orton shuffle was good from what it was though in this era but anyway in today's event it's definitely missing that variety feeling of backstage skits/segments etc. etc.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
The only thing you should be backstage is entrances and the interview area, thats it

keep it ringside, keep it sporting, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

· Registered
401 Posts
Random backstage fights between wrestlers that are fueding adds to the heat that is supposed to be shown. Where as now everything is the ring, there is no room to show a heel being a true heel.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. WWE still does backstage stuff all the time. Remember the Edge/Kane/Paul Bearer stuff? OK, well you might have actually blocked that from your memory to prevent psychological scarring... but, there are still quite a few beatdowns backstage. Nexus has done a lot of backstage beatdowns in the last few months. You had the thing with Cena taking them all out one at a time, including Husky Harris in a hotel room. I remember a confrontation between McIntyre and Trent Baretta a few weeks ago. I mean, I guess it doesn't happen as frequently as it did in the attitude era, but it still occurs pretty regularly.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
I'd love it if they used segments outside the ring to build feuds etc. When they showed the parking lot during Rock Raw I got so excited. Then when they showed the limo it was just awesome and a great way to build suspense. I can't remember the last time I saw a limo on WWE. Back in the day we had important people turning up in limos all show long.

· Registered
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd love it if they used segments outside the ring to build feuds etc. When they showed the parking lot during Rock Raw I got so excited. Then when they showed the limo it was just awesome and a great way to build suspense. I can't remember the last time I saw a limo on WWE. Back in the day we had important people turning up in limos all show long.
This. I missed when stuff like that happened. It just added more to show.

· Registered
3,611 Posts
Random backstage fights between wrestlers that are fueding adds to the heat that is supposed to be shown. Where as now everything is the ring, there is no room to show a heel being a true heel.
This. When backstage segments are done well they really help to develop feuds and characters. It's much more difficult to do that when everything takes place in the ring. I miss backstage segments to be honest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.