Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Because I've seen this movie before, and I understand why Sinclair bought them, and I understand that even with the big attendance drop this year ROH is still likely very profitable.

ROH was never run like Impact, spending money and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. ROH can afford a lean year or two.

It's likely that Sinclair itself still doesn't spend any money directly on ROH. ROH is self sustaining and it provides the benefit of cheap programming for Sinclair.

That's why ROH still exists in the first place. Sinclair bought them because they own hundreds of TV channels, digital platforms, and digital subchannels and ROH is the only programming the company itself owns for it. Everything else Sinclair puts on their channels, they pay someone else to create.

Imagine how much more Anthem would need Impact if they owned 0% of the content they put on Fight Network or AXS TV. That's Sinclair's attitude towards ROH.
ROH was never run like Impact ?! Yeah Impact actually tried to grow from something other than a glorified indy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1. NWA is completlely irrelevant. They have no business being mentioned alongside MLW, Impact, or ROH. NWA tapes Youtube videos in front of 100 fans.

2. Again, this isn't the first time this has happened to ROH. They had a huge dip the year after AJ Styles left for the second time, and they recovered. They'll recover from this too.

Impact fans are so fast to forget. It wasn't long ago that Impact was PAYING fans to attend Bound for Glory.

As for AXS TV ratings, they will not be revealed unless Impact wants them to. AXS is too small of a channel to be metered by Nielsen so their viewership is only going to be available to the network heads and advertisers.
Impact was paying fans to be plants so they wouldn't get sued when they tossed a wrestler into the crowd. They weren't paying fans to attend.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
ROH was never run like Impact ?! Yeah Impact actually tried to grow from something other than a glorified indy.
Impact tried to pretend they were ready to take on WWE but they weren't, and doing so set them back ten years. They're just now getting to a solid financial footing.

ROH has grown painfully slowly at times, that is true. But they run shows in the US, Canada, Japan, and 3/4 countries in the UK. They have TV deals in the US, UK, Canada, India, Italy, and Portugal. They offered Taven and Scurll 3X what the top NXT talent makes. They have their own subscription service, they run PPVs, every single show they run is available live, they still do decent DVD business.

ROH's US infrastructure is how Bullet Club got over in the US, how NJPW expanded to the US, and how AEW launched.

If Impact had been run as intelligently as ROH they'd already be where AEW is now. Impact had the talent and the money behind it. ROH had basically NO money behind it until 2011. Impact had a huge head start and look where it got them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Impact tried to pretend they were ready to take on WWE but they weren't, and doing so set them back ten years. They're just now getting to a solid financial footing.

ROH has grown painfully slowly at times, that is true. But they run shows in the US, Canada, Japan, and 3/4 countries in the UK. They have TV deals in the US, UK, Canada, India, Italy, and Portugal. They offered Taven and Scurll 3X what the top NXT talent makes. They have their own subscription service, they run PPVs, every single show they run is available live, they still do decent DVD business.

ROH's US infrastructure is how Bullet Club got over in the US, how NJPW expanded to the US, and how AEW launched.

If Impact had been run as intelligently as ROH they'd already be where AEW is now. Impact had the talent and the money behind it. ROH had basically NO money behind it until 2011. Impact had a huge head start and look where it got them.
Where has it got them? What ownership of their own network, developmental, tv in 120 countries, a streaming service and airing ROH on their UK network that's where it got them. They both started the same year so i don't know where this huge head start came from. And there's no reason ROH couldn't have had money behind it but the difference is the TNA people actually tried to make deals unlike the ROH people.

TNA kept New Japan relevant when they were at there lowest point and everything New Japan did with ROH could have easily been done with Impact wrestling. So it's not like ROH was so special that it was the only way any of that could have happened.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Impact was paying fans to be plants so they wouldn't get sued when they tossed a wrestler into the crowd. They weren't paying fans to attend.
BS. I remember the job listings they posted and it was for men, women, and children of all ages. They paid people to attend the show and the subsequent TV tapings.

Impact absolutely paid fans to attend. Thankfully they don't have to now, but don't try to pretend it didn't happen.

This is the actual listing:
Principal Cast Breakdown for the IMPACT Wrestling - Aberdeen Pavilion.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!

Please email [email protected] if you fit the criteria.

Please send us:

Full name
E-mail address

MUST BE OTTAWA LOCAL.
NON UNION ONLY.
NON-SPEAKING ROLE.

Filming dates:

Tuesday, November 7th - Thursday, November 9th
Time: 7 PM - 11 PM
Pay rate: $12.50 / hour for 4 hours work ($50.00 per day of work)

1000 Exhibition Way
Ottawa, ON K1S 5J3

ANYONE 16 years or younger MUST have a parent and/or guardian with them at all times.

50-75 x audience members (per day - Nov 7th to Nov 9th)

All Ages
Any Ethnicity
Bring friends and family!!

Applicants can work more than 1 day; so please mention if you are available to be hired for multiple days.

Wardrobe: casual clothing - t-shirts, jeans, sweatshirts. Weekend casual.
You may be given signs to hold; you are encouraged to look at wrestlers on the website (http://impactwrestling.com/) and make your own signs, that would be very helpful - and you will get more face time on TV!!

You will get to sit in the audience and watch a thrilling night of wrestling provided to you by IMPACT! Each day of filming will be 4 hours long.
They definitely didn't need 75 plants to catch wrestlers flying into the crowd, and they wouldn't allow kids under 16.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BS. I remember the job listings they posted and it was for men, women, and children of all ages. They paid people to attend the show and the subsequent TV tapings.

Impact absolutely paid fans to attend. Thankfully they don't have to now, but don't try to pretend it didn't happen.

This is the actual listing:

They definitely didn't need 75 plants to catch wrestlers flying into the crowd, and they wouldn't allow kids under 16.
Well damn if that's the case why stop at 75? Didn't you say Bound for Glory but this says tapings. But honestly who cares the whole Lucha Underground audience where paid plants. Maybe Impact saw potential in it to get a rowdier audience ? Jim Cornette said Heyman did it all the time in ECW and OVW.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well damn if that's the case why stop at 75? Didn't you say Bound for Glory but this says tapings. But honestly who cares the whole Lucha Underground audience where paid plants. Maybe Impact saw potential in it to get a rowdier audience ? Jim Cornette said Heyman did it all the time in ECW and OVW.
1. It was BFG and the TV tapings afterwards
2. Lucha Underground's audience wasn't paid, but they did get in free
3. Lucha Underground is dead for a reason
4. ECW is dead for a reason

They stopped at 75 because the venue was already really small. They mostly wanted to fill the area right behind the hard camera. They were set up for around 500 if memory serves, and ended up with 200-300 in the building.

My point is that Impact got themselves into a really horrible situation, but they were eventually able to dig themselves out of it. And they should be commended for it. But there's no sense in pretending the situation was any better than it was; the fact of the matter is, there were several Impact tapings that were saved at the last possible minute by cash infusions from Corgan, then Aroluxe, then Anthem before Dixie finally sold them. And when Anthem started trying to fix things, they found the situation so bad they had to pay people to attend BFG week.

The situation ROH is also bad, but it's not as dire as the one Impact was in and if they make the correct changes soon enough they can easily right the ship.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1. NWA is completlely irrelevant. They have no business being mentioned alongside MLW, Impact, or ROH. NWA tapes Youtube videos in front of 100 fans.

2. Again, this isn't the first time this has happened to ROH. They had a huge dip the year after AJ Styles left for the second time, and they recovered. They'll recover from this too.

Impact fans are so fast to forget. It wasn't long ago that Impact was PAYING fans to attend Bound for Glory.

As for AXS TV ratings, they will not be revealed unless Impact wants them to. AXS is too small of a channel to be metered by Nielsen so their viewership is only going to be available to the network heads and advertisers.

NWA Power’s 1st episode has over half a million views on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
NWA Power’s 1st episode has over half a million views on YouTube.

And? Wrestling promotions can't directly monetize Youtube content anymore. ROH has several videos with over 1 million views and nobody cares about those either.

The first Women of Honor video on Youtube has 19 million views. And NOBODY cares about Women of Honor, not even ROH.

MLW shows are on Youtube, but only after they've aired on TV in 5 countries around the world and on Fite.

AEW Dark is more or less a weekly advertisement for Dynamite.

For NWA, the Youtube channel is the entire product besides the ~100 seats that fit in their studio and however few PPV buys they'll get.

The other promotions have TV, weekly touring in mulitple countries, DVD/iPPV/VOD sales, streaming services, etc.

Plus, Power is dropping like a rock
Episode 1: 519,000
Episode 2: 298,000
Episode 3: 202,000
Episode 4: 141,000

Compared to Dark, which is again pretty much an advertisement for their other products:
Episode 1: 953,000
Episode 2: 982,000
Episode 3: 672,000
Episode 4: 466,000

Being "Youtube popular" is not the same thing as being a real competitor.

When Corgan starts:
-touring full time
-getting more fans than can fit in a regulation sized school bus paying for tickets
-running shows in multiple countries
-running on actual TV
-running regular PPVs or iPPVs, and/or a subscription service

Then they can claim to be a relevant competitor like Impact or MLW or ROH or NJPW USA.

·
Registered
453 Posts
And? Wrestling promotions can't directly monetize Youtube content anymore. ROH has several videos with over 1 million views and nobody cares about those either.

The first Women of Honor video on Youtube has 19 million views. And NOBODY cares about Women of Honor, not even ROH.

MLW shows are on Youtube, but only after they've aired on TV in 5 countries around the world and on Fite.

AEW Dark is more or less a weekly advertisement for Dynamite.

For NWA, the Youtube channel is the entire product besides the ~100 seats that fit in their studio and however few PPV buys they'll get.

The other promotions have TV, weekly touring in mulitple countries, DVD/iPPV/VOD sales, streaming services, etc.

Plus, Power is dropping like a rock

Episode 1: 519,000

Episode 2: 298,000

Episode 3: 202,000

Episode 4: 141,000

Compared to Dark, which is again pretty much an advertisement for their other products:

Episode 1: 953,000

Episode 2: 982,000

Episode 3: 672,000

Episode 4: 466,000

Being "Youtube popular" is not the same thing as being a real competitor.

When Corgan starts:

-touring full time

-getting more fans than can fit in a regulation sized school bus paying for tickets

-running shows in multiple countries

-running on actual TV

-running regular PPVs or iPPVs, and/or a subscription service

Then they can claim to be a relevant competitor like Impact or MLW or ROH or NJPW USA.

Baby steps, homeboy. I’m sure Corgan does actually want to grow his product. But you can’t say no one cares when people are watching it the only way there is to watch it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Baby steps, homeboy. I’m sure Corgan does actually want to grow his product. But you can’t say no one cares when people are watching it the only way there is to watch it.

I said they were irrelevant compared to MLW, Impact, ROH, and NJPW USA (let alone WWE and AEW). And they are.

It's been years since Corgan bought them. When he bought the NWA he claimed he would already own a venue and be running weekly TV tapings in Nashville by the following spring.

Instead he spent two years of Youtube videos hyping his big debut on... Youtube.

If the Youtube show eventually leads to substantial success, great. Then NWA can be considered relevant. But right now, CWFH is more relevant than the NWA. They just got a TV deal in English and Spanish on LATV, which covers over 35% of the US on broadcast television.

Youtube views don't translate to cash flow. Until Corgan is doing actual business on par with MLW or Impact, people need to stop comparing them to MLW or Impact.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don’t know what the formula is for determining relevancy, because I’ve never heard of LATV or CWFH. But I’m not someone who watches every wrestling show. I do however know about and watch NWA Power. They’re not “irrelevant.”

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don’t know what the formula is for determining relevancy, because I’ve never heard of LATV or CWFH. But I’m not someone who watches every wrestling show. I do however know about and watch NWA Power. They’re not “irrelevant.”

CWFH is Championship Wrestling From Hollywood, NWA's partner and the one that NWA has been using for exposure since Aldis won the title the first time. Without CWFH there probably is no 10 Pounds of Gold to begin with.

And yet again I well repeat that getting Youtube views means nothing in the landscape of professional wrestling. Youtube went out of its way to make sure wrestling channels cannot easily monetize most of their content, which is what put some other promotions including Defiant/What Culture Pro Wrestling out of business.

When the Youtube views translate into substantial ticket sales, PPV buys, a subscription service, or a TV deal it can be considered meaningful.

Right now it's just a rich dude on a nostalgia trip.

·
Intoner
6,506 Posts
Impact would still benefit from having a show for youtube. A consistent weekly show.

They have subs and views. Already produce content for twitch and app. Just ONE show for youtube would only help.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Impact would still benefit from having a show for youtube. A consistent weekly show.

They have subs and views. Already produce content for twitch and app. Just ONE show for youtube would only help.
They should just put Xplosion on Youtube, Twitch, Fite TV, and Impact Plus every week.

At least they can monetize Fite and Twitch.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts