Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Intoner
6,506 Posts
WWE's biggest money come from TV deals and Saudi Arabia. Not exactly "show up to the venue" money.

Heck even Impact's life support budget was maintained by Sony Six TV deal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about MLW. They are very much an old school promotion in the way they handle events. They have been selling a shit ton of tickets, and are going to get 2,000+ fans to their PPV on Saturday (me being one of them), despite the viewership, they still draw more fans to the shows than Impact.
Oh great....I didnt read the thread yet but is this turning into another thread where fans from other promotions are expressing their butthurt over Impacts recent move to AXS?

I love it. Let it burn.....

LOL at bringing up MLW's crowd compared to Impact in THIS thread. Thats irrelevant . Impact will be leaving the tier of companies like MLW and ROH behind and soom will be joining the teir of WWE and AEW.

Then, as Impact grows amd moves to bigger arenas like AEW currently is....they will be viewed as the true 2nd major promotion in the United States. Because AEW is stumbling....too busy being a gloried indy fed still falling into the indy wrestling traps. Impact is the only wrestling company between the three that does wrestling right from all angles and is the most well rounded company and will take over WWE in the future.

MARK MY WORDS. Keep sleeping on this company

Callis is a genius

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Oh great....I didnt read the thread yet but is this turning into another thread where fans from other promotions are expressing their butthurt over Impacts recent move to AXS?

LOL at bringing up MLW's crowd compared to Impact in THIS thread. Thats irrelevant . Impact will be leaving the tier of companies like MLW and ROH behind and soom will be joining the teir of WWE and AEW.

Then, as Impact grows amd moves to bigger arenas like AEW currently is....they will be viewed as the true 2nd major promotion in the United States. Because AEW is stumbling....too busy being a gloried indy fed still falling into the indy wrestling traps. Impact is the only wrestling company between the three that does wrestling right from all angles and is the most well rounded company and will take over WWE in the future.

Callis is a genius
What makes you so confident they'll be in the same tier of WWE and AEW? It'll take a lot more than good TV, storylines, and wrestling to sell out 15K+ capacity arenas, and I'm not sure Impact will ever do that. If they didn't do it in the mid to late 2000s, why would it happen now? I do want them to succeed though and stay stable.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about MLW. They are very much an old school promotion in the way they handle events. They have been selling a shit ton of tickets, and are going to get 2,000+ fans to their PPV on Saturday (me being one of them), despite the viewership, they still draw more fans to the shows than Impact.

Callis is a genius
Tiers? Are you serious, dude? I'm a fan of Impact. I went to BFG. I was replying to the guy who was crying because he perceived not a lot of people saw the product.

MLW about to get 2,250 in Chicago 2 weeks after Impact couldnt even get 1,000 for their biggest show. They are on the same level, bud.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tiers? Are you serious, dude? I'm a fan of Impact. I went to BFG. I was replying to the guy who was crying because he perceived not a lot of people saw the product.

MLW about to get 2,250 in Chicago 2 weeks after Impact couldnt even get 1,000 for their biggest show. They are on the same level, bud.
Comparing two companies with shit attendance numbers. Thats cute

Tell me this little tike. How is MLW on Impact's teir when Impacts parent company now owns its own network? Not to mention the soon to be announced major investment by Mark Cuban once he sees how well Impact takes off.

Thats right you heard it here. Impact is taking over and will be what AEW should have been. Give it a year or so and they will start the real relaunch.

No, MLW is not on Impacts level ever since Anthem bought AXS. It's time to stop grouping Impact with mom and pop indy feds now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Anyone who thinks Impact is on the same "tier" as WWE and AEW is nuts.

ROH has had a rough year, Impact has had a rebound year, MLW has had a breakout year (new TV deals, new countries touring, new partnerships, first PPV).

At this point none of the three could book a 5,000 seat arena and expect to sell it out without being in the same town as a big WWE or AEW show.

ROH still has the highest tickets prices, the highest payscale, and widest US TV distribution, Impact still has the widest international distribution by far and the biggest single network US home, MLW is on a hot streak drawing fans at the gate.

There is extremely little separating the three companies right now.

We should all be glad it looks like the three are going to survive the AEW vs WWE war and the NJPW US expansion. Expecting them to engage on equal terms with the big two any time soon is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Anyone who thinks Impact is on the same "tier" as WWE and AEW is nuts.

ROH has had a rough year, Impact has had a rebound year, MLW has had a breakout year (new TV deals, new countries touring, new partnerships, first PPV).

At this point none of the three could book a 5,000 seat arena and expect to sell it out without being in the same town as a big WWE or AEW show.

ROH still has the highest tickets prices, the highest payscale, and widest US TV distribution, Impact still has the widest international distribution by far and the biggest single network US home, MLW is on a hot streak drawing fans at the gate.

There is extremely little separating the three companies right now.

We should all be glad it looks like the three are going to survive the AEW vs WWE war and the NJPW US expansion. Expecting them to engage on equal terms with the big two any time soon is ridiculous.
I think you nailed it with your comments, my only comment I want to add is that I don't know if ROH is going to survive the AEW vs. WWE war as we have discussed some of these issues in the ROH thread. Out of all of these B-tier promotions, they are the most into trouble and who knows if they survive 2020 if changes aren't made.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I think most of those companies will even continue to grow.Some might slight though. I think NWA will grow but of course time will tell. I think Impact will continue to slowly progress and gain fan base though for sure

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
What makes you so confident they'll be in the same tier of WWE and AEW? It'll take a lot more than good TV, storylines, and wrestling to sell out 15K+ capacity arenas, and I'm not sure Impact will ever do that. If they didn't do it in the mid to late 2000s, why would it happen now? I do want them to succeed though and stay stable.
They are years away from that. They need to:

1) Build and retain their current roster, and making noticeable and distinct characters out of everyone

2) Compete with AEW for WWE free agents

3) Go in a different direction than AEW or WWE

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think you nailed it with your comments, my only comment I want to add is that I don't know if ROH is going to survive the AEW vs. WWE war as we have discussed some of these issues in the ROH thread. Out of all of these B-tier promotions, they are the most into trouble and who knows if they survive 2020 if changes aren't made.
ROH is having a down year but they are nowhere near going out of business. That's alarmist nonsense.

Not counting the Madison Square Garden show, attendance is down roughly 28% versus last year. That's bad, but you have to remember that 2017 and 2018 were the biggest years in ROH history to that point. So even down 28%, they're still close to where they were three or four years ago.

Not to mention they are rolling out to new Sinclair stations as we speak, they just got their first ever UK TV deal, and they are offering big 3 year deals to stars like Taven (who signed) and Scurll (who hasn't signed and will probably go to AEW, but they still offered him 3X what NXT top talent makes).

This thread isn't about ROH but they are the most conservatively run, measured major promotion in the US. They never, ever expanded unless they knew they could afford it. Consequently, even though things are in rough shape at the gate they're still doing okay.

Remember that all of these people left, and most were replaced with much cheaper options. In particular Cody and the Bucks were the 3 most expensive contracts in ROH history:
Cody Rhodes
Nick Jackson
Matt Jackson
Christopher Daniels
Frankie Kazarian
BJ Whitmer (backstage)
Luchasaurus
Scorpio Sky
Adam Page
Brandi Rhodes
Britt Baker
Chuck Taylor
Trent Barretta

If ROH were really in trouble, there would be no speculation. It would be fast and clean. Sinclair would drop it in a heartbeat without a second thought.

The fact that ROH is debuting on the Fox Sports channels Sinclair just bought proves their original business model for ROH is intact: cheap programming for their own networks.

It doesn't mean ROH can continue as they are indefinitely, but things would have to get worse and stay bad for a long while before ROH would start losing enough money for Sinclair to give up that cheap prorgramming.

·
Registered
485 Posts
As per, lots of cringe in here comparing Company X to Company Y. What I will say, I have nothing against AEW & glad they're doing what they are, however their fanbase is a real turn off, hugely annoying, oddly arrogant & this illusion of grandeur is just bizarre. All the bad things a Mark is.

It's very pretty on the outside with the main guys being excellent talents, you go passed that & the roster is very meh, at best. Will they get better? Yes, will I be happy? Yes because it's good for business.

MLW - I don't watch a lot of, but their past year has been fantastic, do I think their ceiling is lower than the rest? Probably.

RoH - I do worry for them with the NJPW US thing. But Impact have survived far worse things.

NWA - Power is a good concept, but I think they're way behind the pack right now. Cool to see Aldis/Cowboy/Drake/Kay have a home, but it just feels like a cheap Impact with them 4 being the main stars.

Impact - the guy who is claiming they'll be #2 again, stop, please. While I have stuck with all this time, they're a long way off & the stink for many is still there (very harshly granted, but it is). Very fortunate to have Scott & Don.

JUST ENJOY THIS BOOM OF WRESTLING FOLKS.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't get all the company comparisons either. Speaking for me personally as a wrestling fan, I see WWE/AEW now as the WWF/WCW of the soon-to-be 2020s, Impact could well be ECW in this equation, and MLW/ROH/NWA could be solid alternatives to all 3 with differing products and presentations. Not to mention you have an international presence in the US these days too with CMLL/AAA/NJPW running shows regularly here now. It's almost a dream scenario.

All I want is for these companies to stay healthy and stable and present more options for wrestlers and fans alike and I'll be happy. The only thing missing at this point that I could ask for is a Lucha Underground-like show, but that's probably on the shelf for a while if not for good, but still with everything that's come up this year, I can't really complain too much.

Does anyone know how much viewership the debut episode got? From AXS TV + other streaming platforms. Would be interesting to know.

Comparing two companies with shit attendance numbers. Thats cute

Tell me this little tike. How is MLW on Impact's teir when Impacts parent company now owns its own network? Not to mention the soon to be announced major investment by Mark Cuban once he sees how well Impact takes off.

Thats right you heard it here. Impact is taking over and will be what AEW should have been. Give it a year or so and they will start the real relaunch.

No, MLW is not on Impacts level ever since Anthem bought AXS. It's time to stop grouping Impact with mom and pop indy feds now.
Link for this please? You already ignored and failed to refute my first response to you because you had no base to your claims, don't let the same thing happen here otherwise I don't think I can believe anything you say on here.

ROH is having a down year but they are nowhere near going out of business. That's alarmist nonsense.

Not counting the Madison Square Garden show, attendance is down roughly 28% versus last year. That's bad, but you have to remember that 2017 and 2018 were the biggest years in ROH history to that point. So even down 28%, they're still close to where they were three or four years ago.

Not to mention they are rolling out to new Sinclair stations as we speak, they just got their first ever UK TV deal, and they are offering big 3 year deals to stars like Taven (who signed) and Scurll (who hasn't signed and will probably go to AEW, but they still offered him 3X what NXT top talent makes).

This thread isn't about ROH but they are the most conservatively run, measured major promotion in the US. They never, ever expanded unless they knew they could afford it. Consequently, even though things are in rough shape at the gate they're still doing okay.

Remember that all of these people left, and most were replaced with much cheaper options. In particular Cody and the Bucks were the 3 most expensive contracts in ROH history:
Cody Rhodes
Nick Jackson
Matt Jackson
Christopher Daniels
Frankie Kazarian
BJ Whitmer (backstage)
Luchasaurus
Scorpio Sky
Adam Page
Brandi Rhodes
Britt Baker
Chuck Taylor
Trent Barretta

If ROH were really in trouble, there would be no speculation. It would be fast and clean. Sinclair would drop it in a heartbeat without a second thought.

The fact that ROH is debuting on the Fox Sports channels Sinclair just bought proves their original business model for ROH is intact: cheap programming for their own networks.

It doesn't mean ROH can continue as they are indefinitely, but things would have to get worse and stay bad for a long while before ROH would start losing enough money for Sinclair to give up that cheap prorgramming.
You have some good points, but ROH is on a downfall as a victim of its own success in 2017 and 2018. Fans have turned away and wrestlers aren't going to want to stay for a mediocre product with a dead TV show. Not to mention they can't just get by anymore with all the alternatives out there now. No one is expecting them to be WWE or AEW, but they are on a downward slope while other similar promotions like Impact/MLW/NWA are on the rise. It's a bad position they find themselves in and they need a big 2020 to recover some momentum and good will.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't get all the company comparisons either. Speaking for me personally as a wrestling fan, I see WWE/AEW now as the WWF/WCW of the soon-to-be 2020s, Impact could well be ECW in this equation, and MLW/ROH/NWA could be solid alternatives to all 3 with differing products and presentations. Not to mention you have an international presence in the US these days too with CMLL/AAA/NJPW running shows regularly here now. It's almost a dream scenario.

All I want is for these companies to stay healthy and stable and present more options for wrestlers and fans alike and I'll be happy. The only thing missing at this point that I could ask for is a Lucha Underground-like show, but that's probably on the shelf for a while if not for good, but still with everything that's come up this year, I can't really complain too much.

Does anyone know how much viewership the debut episode got? From AXS TV + other streaming platforms. Would be interesting to know.

You have some good points, but ROH is on a downfall as a victim of its own success in 2017 and 2018. Fans have turned away and wrestlers aren't going to want to stay for a mediocre product with a dead TV show. Not to mention they can't just get by anymore with all the alternatives out there now. No one is expecting them to be WWE or AEW, but they are on a downward slope while other similar promotions like Impact/MLW/NWA are on the rise. It's a bad position they find themselves in and they need a big 2020 to recover some momentum and good will.
1. NWA is completlely irrelevant. They have no business being mentioned alongside MLW, Impact, or ROH. NWA tapes Youtube videos in front of 100 fans.

2. Again, this isn't the first time this has happened to ROH. They had a huge dip the year after AJ Styles left for the second time, and they recovered. They'll recover from this too.

Impact fans are so fast to forget. It wasn't long ago that Impact was PAYING fans to attend Bound for Glory.

As for AXS TV ratings, they will not be revealed unless Impact wants them to. AXS is too small of a channel to be metered by Nielsen so their viewership is only going to be available to the network heads and advertisers.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
1. NWA is completlely irrelevant. They have no business being mentioned alongside MLW, Impact, or ROH. NWA tapes Youtube videos in front of 100 fans.

2. Again, this isn't the first time this has happened to ROH. They had a huge dip the year after AJ Styles left for the second time, and they recovered. They'll recover from this too.

Impact fans are so fast to forget. It wasn't long ago that Impact was PAYING fans to attend Bound for Glory.

As for AXS TV ratings, they will not be revealed unless Impact wants them to. AXS is too small of a channel to be metered by Nielsen so their viewership is only going to be available to the network heads and advertisers.
1. I mentioned NWA as an alternative to the other promotions, not competition. Which they are. There's people who watch them and only them because they see their style as true wrestling and not the others. And there's no telling whether they could grow bigger past the point they're at now. They're starting slow, but could eventually afford to do more PPVs and take Power on the road. Time will tell.

2. You're way too sure about ROH and I don't see where it comes from. Attendances, PPV buy rates, booking, promotion of events, outdated TV show, everything is down right now. Only the roster is good and a lot of them may leave too. There's no guarantee they'll recover because there's a lot more competition now. They aren't the #2 promotion in the U.S. anymore, they're 4th/5th at best now. Sinclair has to put up or shut up now to keep them afloat over the next few years.

3. If people can dig up MLW Fusion ratings on beIN, then Impact's on AXS can surely be found. Not to mention on other streaming platforms where those numbers should be a lot easier to access too. If anyone can find them, post them here please.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
2. You're way too sure about ROH and I don't see where it comes from. Attendances, PPV buy rates, booking, promotion of events, outdated TV show, everything is down right now. Only the roster is good and a lot of them may leave too. There's no guarantee they'll recover because there's a lot more competition now. They aren't the #2 promotion in the U.S. anymore, they're 4th/5th at best now. Sinclair has to put up or shut up now to keep them afloat over the next few years.
Because I've seen this movie before, and I understand why Sinclair bought them, and I understand that even with the big attendance drop this year ROH is still likely very profitable.

ROH was never run like Impact, spending money and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. ROH can afford a lean year or two.

It's likely that Sinclair itself still doesn't spend any money directly on ROH. ROH is self sustaining and it provides the benefit of cheap programming for Sinclair.

That's why ROH still exists in the first place. Sinclair bought them because they own hundreds of TV channels, digital platforms, and digital subchannels and ROH is the only programming the company itself owns for it. Everything else Sinclair puts on their channels, they pay someone else to create.

Imagine how much more Anthem would need Impact if they owned 0% of the content they put on Fight Network or AXS TV. That's Sinclair's attitude towards ROH.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think they will start out between 100-200k but slowly build. Their product is just soooo good right now, people will love it once they see it again.
Then theres people like me who Will probably never watch it again even though I loved it in the 2000s. Impact and wwe Will not get my attention again before new people are in charge.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Then theres people like me who Will probably never watch it again even though I loved it in the 2000s. Impact and wwe Will not get my attention again before new people are in charge.
What's wrong with Callis and D'Amore or Anthem?
My assumption was he was lost under old ownership and isn't aware it is under new people in charge, it's not the dark days of Dixie Carter anymore.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The company comparisons are happening because when someone makes one negative remark in here it sets off the 4 regulars and you cant say anything. I used to be a die hard in here for years but the community changed

You go in a AEW or NWA section and everyone is saying the Good the bad and the ugly.

Im a fan of Impact and NWA,Not sure what the issue is with dixie.Who cares if shes a business idiot,He would have got his money back one way or another.

Anyways did they do decent i hope on axs ?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts