Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the Attitude Era, authority figures have played a prominent role in the wrestling industry. Mr. McMahon epitomized the heel authoritarian. Since then the authority figure has been replicated in a variety of different manners, including Commissioners, General Managers and Executive Assistants. They can be either face or heel.

The most recent authority figure, the General Manager, has been with us the best part of a decade ever since Vince McMahon kayfabe regained 100% ownership from Ric Flair. At first, the General Manager was a prominent position with the first appointments being Eric Bischoff and Stephanie McMahon. Since then it seems that their importance has somewhat waned with Teddy Long on Smackdown, who seems to lack character, and the anonymous General Manager on Raw, which seems to be agitating many fans and running its course. Do you think its time for a new type of authority figure? Do you think that the authority figure has died its own death? Or do you want the General Manager should continue?

If you have any other ideas, discuss below.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
The authority figure has always been important back when I first began to follow wrestling you had Jack Tunney, then Guerilla Monsoon, Roddy Piper etc.

I think they're important to the product because it creates a sense of balance, where people can't just do what they want. It also helps the bad ass heal to get over by running riot for a while, getting one over on the authority figure and the babyfaces until the authority figure puts the heal in a match where he can't cheat and the babyface over-comes his foe.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I love authority figures, that's why I miss Bischoff on Raw.

Authority figures show that someoen actually rules the place, I mean who else could be scheduling the matches?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
While there should an authority figure, I think the weekly authority figure has run its' course. We have seen every situation heel and face they could do.

Let's go back to the Tunney days where, when you saw the authority figures you knew something IMPORTANT would happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts