Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Austrian village F---ing to vote on name change

The Austrian village of Fucking is to vote on a name change in an attempt to escape the constant ridicule and attention the name attracts the hamlet.

The 104 residents of the village will cast their votes later this week on whether to alter the name.

“People are now willing to discuss changes to the spelling of the name,” Franz Meindl, the village’s mayor, said in a television interview. “But first all Fuckingers have to agree on whether want to change it or not.” For centuries the tiny village in northern Austria lived life in happy obscurity, but life changed when US troops, stationed in the area at the end of the Second World War, discovered it, and since then the village’s name has been a constant source of amusement for tourists and irritation for locals.

At least 13 £250 road signs bearing the village’s name have been stolen, and the sight of semi-naked women posing for photographs beside signs has become a common sight. One local business woman, exasperated with people stealing her sign has taken to adding another “g” in the hope it will deter thieves.

A brisk market in postcards and Christmas cards making liberal use of the name have also managed to spread its fame.

In an attempt to curtail the fun had at the village’s expense some locals want to readopt its 16th-Century spelling and replace the “ck” with a single or double “g”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ian-village-F-ing-to-vote-on-name-change.html

Edit Sorry about the title I meant Austria not Australia, was in a rush my mistake :eek:

·
✔
21,671 Posts
Re: Australian Village (F*CKING) wants name change

why do so many people get confused between austria, a country in europe, and australia, the only continent that is one country.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts

It's Austria, not Australia.

The sign reads "Fucking Please - not so fast!"

No, I kid you not.

That village is famous over here.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

Live in a place where women come by just to strip off and pose by signs? Sounds like my kinda place

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

It took them this long to even consider a name change? Must have been the semi nude female tourists that blocked their thinking process so far.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts

Reminds me of the time i drove through a small town called Muff in Northern Ireland, sure i've still got a picture of me standing next to the sign somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yeah sorry about the title, was in a rush and made a mistake :eek: realised it like a minute after I posted it. If someone with mod powers would change it be great.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,189 Posts
why do so many people get confused between austria, a country in europe, and australia, the only continent that is one country.
I would imagine it has to do with their similar spellings and not their geographic features or location.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to read the word “Fuckingers" and not laugh. I can kinda see why they'd want the name change...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

why do so many people ignore the fact that papau new guinea is part of the continent australia too? :D

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts

Reminds me of the time i drove through a small town called Muff in Northern Ireland, sure i've still got a picture of me standing next to the sign somewhere.
Where did the shrimp on the barbie thing start? We don't call them shrimp here that's American. We call them prawns and I've never seen or heard of anyone putting them on the "barbie". Anyway bit off topic but I've always wondered how that stereotype started.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Where did the shrimp on the barbie thing start? We don't call them shrimp here that's American. We call them prawns and I've never seen or heard of anyone putting them on the "barbie". Anyway bit off topic but I've always wondered how that stereotype started.
Yeah, i've wondered that too. Putting saussies on the barbie is more stereotypical.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
why do so many people ignore the fact that papau new guinea is part of the continent australia too? :D
It isn't. It's part of Asia.

Yeah, i've wondered that too. Putting saussies on the barbie is more stereotypical.
Saussies? I assume you mean sausages, and we call them snags down here. And yes, we cook them on the barbie.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts