Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would Austin have turned into the megastar that he was without the Bret Hart feud? Obviously the WM 13 match was a true classic, but I think Hart's annoying whiny persona really helped Austin get over. Bret Hart's character was a huge crybaby during that feud, and it obviously started to annoy the fans. Then you had Austin calling him out for his whining, which was a huge part of him getting over as a face. Bret Hart's character was so annoying that Austin got great material, and got the crowd behind him.

·
Premium Member
44,021 Posts
No way. He needed that feud. A lot of people say that it was the King of the Ring speech that made him a mega star, but truthfully, after KOTR, he went right on to being a curtain jerker with no direction and even got left off of Summerslam to do a Pre Show Match with Yokozuna.

The feud with Bret kept Austin in the lime light while it was going and helped to get his character more attention and ultimately get over like gangbusters. Also, working such a huge program with Bret gave him a hell of a rub as it was his first time really working with one of the top stars.

·
Banned
586 Posts
The Austin 3:16 speech got him noticed but the fued with Bret and the matches at survivor series & WrestleMania is
What got him majorly over. That feud was pure gold

·
Registered
324 Posts
if it wasnt for Hart putting him over, Austin wouldnt be the star he is today

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
No. He wasn't doing much after the Austin 3:16 speech. Bret gave him the rub needed to get noticed on a larger scale and get the fans really interested in him. Without that Bret Hart feud, Stone Cold probably becomes nothing more than what Foley was, if that.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
Quite simply, no, Austin would not have had such an accelerated on-ramp to superstardom without that feud. Moreover, the entire WWE needed that feud. It's fundamentally what kept them afloat in the present back in 1997 and what laid the foundation for everything that followed in their comeback against WCW in the Attitude Era. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart and The Hart Foundation is what paved the way to Austin's ascendancy, the entire WWE product becoming hotter and hotter with roguish babyface Austin and heel Canadian hero Hart as the spearhead with The Undertaker's reign and the birth of D-Generation X all conspiring to make WWE a drastically more compelling product than it had been pre-1997.

Austin/McMahon is what brought WWE back to its preeminent spot as the #1 pro wrestling company in America, but without Austin/Hart you don't get to Austin/McMahon.

Reactions: Choke2Death

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nope. I always maintain that when someone wants to re-live the Attitude era, or experience it for the first time, they have to go right back to Bret/Austin.

Bret Hart did more for the Attitude era than will ever be recognised.

Reactions: Choke2Death

·
Premium Member
14,965 Posts
I'll go on record and say the Austin/Bret feud was what improved WWE. That feud took them to the next level and I doubt any other guy on the roster would have helped gotten Austin over. HBK was unreliable and didn't want to job and was actually the only other star Austin even had a slight chance of getting over with and thriving off the more risque WWE programming but it wouldn't have happened because HBK was an asshole.

If Bret would have jumped ship in 1996, Austin wouldn't have succeeded as fast but the chance was always there.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
That was Austin's (and Bret's) greatest feud. I don't think I could say that Austin wouldn't have been huge without the feud, but it put Austin in the spotlight and he excelled with it. Amazing feud with amazing matches.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I still think he would have become a huge star but that feud really helped the cause. The feud was after the KOTR where Austin 3:16 was born so Austin was still on his way. Bret was certainly the guy that really elevated Austin to a main event guy though. They played off each other very well and had some great matches.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone have a compilation of their promos and even matches during that feud?
I've seen some of them but haven't seen all, except that hilarious one where Vince asks him why he's so bitter.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
It certainly did help Austin but I think he would have feuded with someone else (Probably Shawn Michaels or Mankind) and he still would have gotten over

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I think it's fair to say Bret made Austin and the Mr. McMahon heel character. I think it's also fair to say Austin was going to be the man no matter what, but the Bret fued helped him big time. It just shows how good Bret was that he "made" Austin without even jobbing to him just having a great match and being on Bret's level made Austin company ace material.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Every wrestler needs some epic feud in order to become a star. Some get that feud and some don't. Stone Cold as talented as he is without Bret Hart wouldn't have became the guy we all admire (at least the majority of us). I believe he still would've made it and got the spotlight and etc but let's face it Bret Hart and his legacy was the best thing that happened to Austin. Montreal Screwjob eventually led to Vince McMahon character which we all know was confronted succesfully by the same Stone Cold, not to mention the whole Bret vs SCSA feud way before that.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Well this brings me back to a thread i made on here not so long ago in which i asked if Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart was really the plan for WrestleMania 13 as Bret Hart says because the feud between Stone Cold Steve Austin was still going strong and getting hotter before Shawn Michaels forfeited the WWE title. If Shawn Michaels faced Bret Hart where would it have left Stone Cold Steve Austin as Undertaker/Sid was planned from late 1996 which ruled them both out and unless a Triple Threat between Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret Hart was planned someone was going to be HUGELY left in limbo.

I've heard many times that Vince McMahon wanted to turn Bret Hart heel as far back as late 1996 which is why they had Shawn Michaels involved in Hart/Sid at In Your House: It's Time then had Stone Cold Steve Austin win The Royal Rumble in the way he did and i've heard many times that Stone Cold Steve Austin was being turned babyface/tweener as far back as November/December. If this is true then i don't believe that anything other than Austin/Hart was ever really the plan as In Your House: Final Four was on February 16th with WrestleMania 13 was on March 23rd and Austin/Hart was still very much going on when Shawn Michaels forfeited the WWE title three days before In Your House: Final Four so transitioning Austin/Hart into Michaels/Hart straight off the bat wouldn't have worked.

Personally i've always been of the belief that Stone Cold Steve Austin simply would have taken longer to take off had Austin/Hart not happened as he was simply too talented to have not been a star but Austin/Hart gave Stone Cold Steve Austin the high profile feud he needed to showcase his talents. They were such polar opposites that the feud worked and i've always said that polar opposites are usually the best feuds as seen with Michaels/Hart, Austin/Hart, Michaels/Undertaker, Austin/Rock, Sting/Flair, Rock/Triple H, Cena/Edge, Sting/Hogan, Savage/Flair and Savage/Warrior.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
He would still be a star, because he was quite over after his KOTR win, but he would not be the megastar that we all know and love

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
Good question. I think Austin really needed that feud with Bret and the rub that he got from it. Like someone said, even though Steve won the KOTR in '96, he didn't really do anything for a few months until the fall, when the whole angle with Bret started. I don't know of anyone else on the roster at that time who would've stepped up and insisted to work a program with him. Bret did, and the rest is history.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
It was a brilliant launching pad, CM Punk vs John Cena had the potential to follow similar trajectory IMO in 2011 but with The Rock having Cena tied in for Mania it couldn't happen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts