Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. What do you make of the current state of ROH?

I'll be really honest with you, the Ring of Honor today is not anything like the Ring of Honor that the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and myself came from. Obviously they are still operating under the same name, but the company has changed so much over the years and it's really a shell of it's former self in terms of the vision and thought process. The original Ring of Honor and the Ring of Honor today are two completely different things, I like to call it Smokey Mountain of Honor.
http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/articles/other/austin-aries-talks-lockdown-x-division-and-the-future-of-tna-16059/

He goes on to say:

Q. Both TNA and ROH are celebrating ten years this year, but how far behind is ROH from TNA?

A couple of thousand dollars behind, there is no money in Ring of Honor, and that means they will only be able to secure talent for a certain amount of time before they move somewhere else.

·
Registered
546 Posts
He kinda has a point. With the way WWE has been signing and taking away their top guys the past years, ROH's basically about to become a new developmental league for them.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ROH is still very good, but it's definately different than a few years ago. They dont really have any personalities in the upper card. People like Danielson, Nigel, Aries, Black, Claudio and Hero are hard to replace. And as soon as they build a new star, WWE will pick them up immediatly.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
more like ROH is that club like a Southampton or West Ham, produce the talent in the academies only to have them be signed by the big boys
Very good analogy that can in theory be extended to include those who didn't quite make it at the big clubs, ie. WWE but who still have something to offer. Unfortunately it's almost impossible for those guys to be accepted with James Gibson being the only example I can come up with.

·
Registered
546 Posts
ROH is still very good, but it's definately different than a few years ago. They dont really have any personalities in the upper card. People like Danielson, Nigel, Aries, Black, Claudio and Hero are hard to replace. And as soon as they build a new star, WWE will pick them up immediatly.
Like I said. Odds are Steen will be the next one they sign. Don't believe me? People said Black wouldn't leave and WWE gave him plenty of reasons to sign. And they all have Washington's face on them.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Sorry but it's just stupid compare the old ROH the the new ROH. Back then, ROH were just an indy promotion. They could use almost everyone (Gunz, CIMA, Daniels, Styles and more), now they are on TV which is impossible. ROH want to became a bigger company, they try some new things and it's not bad at all in my opinion... This is really stupid almost as the comparison between PWG and ROH.....

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
"Smoky Mountain of Honor"? He's being too kind. I was such a mark for ROH & PWG, but they aren't producing much wrestling any more. Davey as World Champion is a joke.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
I like the Smoky Mountain of Honor better than the old Ring of Honor. It sure better than the Tyler Black/Adam Pearce era.

I think ROH today is building up better TV characters. And if they continue on path, Ring of Honor have a gem on their hands. Jim Cornette is no dummy and he is old school, successful old school. He did it in WWE,Smoky Mountain,OVW, Morgan/Hernandez in TNA, NWA/WCW. All he do is build future TV stars. ROH tv from February-present has been great.

LOL at ROH only being a couple of thousand of dollars away from TNA. That was a cheapshot against TNA if people didn't notice.

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
I like the Smoky Mountain of Honor better than the old Ring of Honor. It sure better than the Tyler Black/Adam Pearce era.

I think ROH today is building up better TV characters. And if they continue on path, Ring of Honor have a gem on their hands. Jim Cornette is no dummy and he is old school, successful old school. He did it in WWE,Smoky Mountain,OVW, Morgan/Hernandez in TNA, NWA/WCW. All he do is build future TV stars. ROH tv from February-present has been great.

LOL at ROH only being a couple of thousand of dollars away from TNA. That was a cheapshot against TNA if people didn't notice.
You know I thought that too. Aries has voiced his opinions on TNA too since he's been the champ there and they weren't all positive iirc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
He never really compared the old ROH to the new. The more important thing to take away from what he said, imo, and that I wholeheartedly agree with, is that the vision and thought process is completely different. Which is basically referencing the booking and overall philosophy of the promotion.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
He never really compared the old ROH to the new. The more important thing to take away from what he said, imo, and that I wholeheartedly agree with, is that the vision and thought process is completely different. Which is basically referencing the booking and overall philosophy of the promotion.
Pretty much but Adam Pearce was different from Gabe. The good thing with ROH is that they changing with the times. DVD sales were getting lower and lower every year because the economy is getting worse. That's why Cary decided to sell it to SBG.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I use to be a huge Roh fan but Sinclair-Cornette era Roh really is sub-par compared to what it use to be.

Aries is right as usual. One of the smartest guys in wrestling.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts