Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
In ring they were both fine but not at the level of a Bret Hart, Chris Benoit or other in ring masters but they didn't have to be. Rock could get the best reaction on a show by coming out and saying "If you smell what The Rock is cooking". Stone Cold simply walking out from behind the curtain would get a reaction better than most high spots or 5 star matches

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why is it internet wrestling community to think someone is a bad wrestler if they can't technical wrestle or do acrobatics? I would think IWC is people new to pro wrestling who would care more about if someone could get reactions from crowds than what their wrestling abilties are.

The Rock was amazing at working a crowd and psychology but he couldn't do anything impressive as a wrestler. I am not sure if HHH or Austin could wrestle either. Other wrestlers are amazing at high-flying (Mysterio), strength moves (Lesnar) or technical (Angle, Benoit, Malenko).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Why is it internet wrestling community to think someone is a bad wrestler if they can't technical wrestle or do acrobatics? I would think IWC is people new to pro wrestling who would care more about if someone could get reactions from crowds than what their wrestling abilties are.

The Rock was amazing at working a crowd and psychology but he couldn't do anything impressive as a wrestler. I am not sure if HHH or Austin could wrestle either. Other wrestlers are amazing at high-flying (Mysterio), strength moves (Lesnar) or technical (Angle, Benoit, Malenko).
Sort of agree with this. It's annoying that we can't criticize a wrestler because "they get crowd reactions." If someone critiques Rollins' mic work, his fans say "Well the cheers he gets..." Or if someone says Balor is boring, his fans say "he gets pops."

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Rock was a bad or at best average wrestler. People should be able to say this. Was there people that did not love the Rock during his face run of 1999-2003?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Was The Rock a shitty wrestler? I don't remember him doing technical wrestling or top rope moves. It seemed like he was more of a five moves of death guy.
That last term was concocted by a group of ECW fans who chanted shit like “You Can’t Wrestle” towards John Cena, even though they cheered insanely for guys like Sandman and New Jack.
That tells you all you need to know about that way of thinking

·
Registered
213 Posts
For me wrestling is about getting me emotionally involved in the match, and Rock was great at doing that. If you look at his fire on the come back, he used to draw me in which most guys today can not. Especially by 2001-2002 he had really improved to the point where he was very, very good IMO. I could understand the POV of him being average if you're looking at a pre-2000 Rock, even though I disagree with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before 2000, the Rock was in terrible shape. Remember his match vs Mankind at Raw when Mankind won the WWF Title, and the Rock was wearing streetclothes claiming he didn't have time to prepare for the match? It was probably really to cover how pudgy the Rock was at the time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Before 2000, the Rock was in terrible shape. Remember his match vs Mankind at Raw when Mankind won the WWF Title, and the Rock was wearing streetclothes claiming he didn't have time to prepare for the match? It was probably really to cover how pudgy the Rock was at the time.
That wasn't due to a lack of fitness on The Rock's part. He had a gynecomastia reduction. HHH even made a shoot comment about it. You know, while we are on the subject of jealous wrestlers going into business for themselves to make Rock look bad [see Foley/Rock thread].

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did the Rock have scars from a recent surgery? I remember in a promo shortly after No Way Out in 2000, HHH suggested to the Rock that perhaps he could lose the love handles and make a run for the European Championship. The European Championship part was just mocking the Rock, but the love handles part was true.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did the Rock have scars from a recent surgery? I remember in a promo shortly after No Way Out in 2000, HHH suggested to the Rock that perhaps he could lose the love handles and make a run for the European Championship. The European Championship part was just mocking the Rock, but the love handles part was true.
His insecurity regarding The Rock was so transparent between 1997 and 2000. He did everything imaginable onscreen and behind the scenes to undermine him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems like all of the top dogs didn't like all of the other top dogs. I am reading rumours on here about HHH and Foley not getting along, of course we knew Flair and Foley didn't see eye to eye, Rock and Foley had their issues, I am guessing Austin and Rock had real life issues, Hart and HBK had issues. Were there any top dogs that had another top dog they didn't have issues with?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
That wasn't due to a lack of fitness on The Rock's part. He had a gynecomastia reduction. HHH even made a shoot comment about it. You know, while we are on the subject of jealous wrestlers going into business for themselves to make Rock look bad [see Foley/Rock thread].
For such a huge dude he sure is very insecure. Did he have a bad upbringing? But this all shows how great of a guy Rock is. He never played into HHH insecurities and look where Rock is now. Amazing!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
For me wrestling is about getting me emotionally involved in the match, and Rock was great at doing that. If you look at his fire on the come back, he used to draw me in which most guys today can not. Especially by 2001-2002 he had really improved to the point where he was very, very good IMO. I could understand the POV of him being average if you're looking at a pre-2000 Rock, even though I disagree with it.
IMO, 2001-2002 was his peak as an in-ring performer. Most of his PPV matches were solid during that period.

2001 was also Austin's peak year. Even though he wasn't as healthy and athletic as he was in 1996, but his knowledge and experience was more than enough to produce some classics.

He was recovering from a gyno reduction surgery. The guy was one of the two most athletic wrestlers in the roster at that time, the other one is Billy Gunn.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Eh... Rock built his character solely on disrespecting other talents and no selling their entire gimmick.

Is pointing out Rock's love handles any worse than Rock making fun of Undertaker for his mickey mouse tattoos, or Kane for his silly voice?

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
Rock is pretty underrated when it comes to ring skills. He obviously had more of a "sizzle over substance" approach to matches oppose to technical prowess but this is prowrestling multiple styles should be encouraged. A solid 7/10 which is actually a very good rating.

Austin was legitimately an amazing worker. He knew how to tell a story, work a crowd, blend different and sometimes conflicting styles, and make his opponents look good. Did his move set shrink somewhat on the main event scene, yes, but that has always been WWe's style and it can't be said it effected match quality. Austin's 2001 title run alone, while perhaps a creative disappointment, was a string of high quality matches one after another after another.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts