Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Promo wise, which one was better? Which one had more impact in the business? Which career benefited the most?
And most importantly, which one is your personal favorite?

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Much as I love the pipe bomb, Austin's 3:16 promo is by far the most memorable one and it helped get Austin so far up there that WWE is still around instead of getting its ass kicked by WCW.

There are people today that haven't watched wrestling in years that still remember, "Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!" but couldn't quote anything from the pipe bomb promo(and I can do that one almost word for word, its terrifying).

The pipe bomb promo was great for wrestling fans that were frustrated with the way things were going, but outside of wrestling fans no one cares about it; Austin 3:16 transcended wrestling.

·
Registered
592 Posts
"The Pipe Bomb" was a very good worked shoot/rant. "3:16" is a different beast altogether. It was so good because it was just so brutal and personal. Taking a personal thing like Jake Roberts religious beliefs, and then turning a scripture reference into a verbal assault immediately after brutalising a worn-out Jake Roberts, is another level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd say Austin 3:16 is much more influential, it was the rise of Stone Cold, arguably the biggest star of all time. But Punk's Pipebomb is my personal favorite, the product was so shitty in 2011, it was almost like Punk was speaking for most of the fans.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I am the biggest Punk fan here, but Austin 3:16 promo set the WWF/E on a course to be the biggest wrestling promotion of all time. In terms of impact, and overall response, Austin 3:16 promo is easily top 2 promos of all time.

Austin 3:16 promo wins and it's not even close.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Austin and not even close. That is not saying anything negative about Punk, as he is awesome too. Austin transformed the business and Punk had a popular summer that briefly woke people up from their Cena comas. Now, if Vince and creative had actually got behind Punk for the long term after that, we could be having a different conversation, but they did not.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I’d typically say people just roll with the older promo because of nostalgia but the Austin 3:16 promo is one of those true classics that cant be written off as nostalgia.

I wasnt around when the promo first aired like I was when punk had his pipebomb but I feel like I was there when I first saw the Austin 3:16 promo on YouTube. It was the perfect way to usher in the most lucrative era in WWE history and put one of the future GOATs on the map

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am the biggest Punk fan here, but Austin 3:16 promo set the WWF/E on a course to be the biggest wrestling promotion of all time. In terms of impact, and overall response, Austin 3:16 promo is easily top 2 promos of all time.

Austin 3:16 promo wins and it's not even close.
For you what's the best promo of all time along with "Austin 3:16"?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Punk’s pipebomb was only a big deal because WWE went PG and it seemed out of the ordinary to how safe and scripted WWE had become. Mismanagement of the Summer of Punk slowed his momentum, and a premature end to Punk’s 434 day reign as champion further hindered him (could have been dropped at Elimination Chamber, or preferably, Wrestlemania). The wrestling business never entered a boom period, WWE remained PG, and Punk is known more for being the pro wrestler who got beaten in UFC than a big star.

Austin 3:16 broke that mold of the traditionally family friendly WWF, signalling a turning point towards more edgier tv, and helped define Austin after the Ringmaster gimmick. The Austin 3:16 brand was built up to the point that Austin became a household name and one of the biggest stars in the history of the business. And the kicker is that particular promo happened one whole month before Hogan’s heel turn in wrestling happened in WCW (wrestling’s greatest heel turn), which helped to cause a boom period alongside Austin 3:16.

Austin 3:16 by a landside.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I will be in the minority and go with the pipebomb. As a pure promo its miles ahead of Austins 3:16. That promo also turned Punk into an overnight top guy. It took Austin months and months before he got over after that promo. People want to act as if he went from the ringmaster, cut that promo and became 98 Austin all in one week. No. Punk was the biggest thing in the company a week after that promo, few months later became the first guy in years to outsell Cena in merch. Austin 3:16 is the more iconic one because it is what people identify with Austin (one of the biggest stars ever) on the flipside Punks was better delivered and more impactful at that time if you cut the reverse history bs.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Austin 3:16 changed the course of wrestling. Punk's pipebomb called out WWE's shittiness and here we are years later and nothing has changed.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I would say they are two of the best promos of all time. Would probably chuck the hard times one in there too. Austin 3:16 of course had the biggest impact on the business as a whole. The pipebomb was huge for CM Punk personally and I do think Punk laid the foundations for NXT and indy wresters being looked at. His run all started from the pipebomb and I don't think that impact should be overlooked.

Personally I would go for the pipebomb as a preference just because I lived through that, was too young for Austin 3:16. But if your asking me whats bigger then it's Austin 3:16

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Austin 3:16 is ICONIC. Punk's Pipebomb is... well... let's check in ten years or so.
Well... It has been nearly 9 years and people still talk about it. In fact you could argue that the whole pipebomb/shooting on other people became a lot bigger after CM Punk. We've seen guys like Cena, Miz, Sandow, AJ Lee ect who have attempted to have their own CM Punk inspired pipebomb and incorporated that style in their promo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Going with CM Punk's pipebomb. This was such a well done promo that immediately changed up the landscape and made Punk a true main eventer. The follow up contract signing with Vince is one of my all time favorite segments as well.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
The pipe bomb elevated CM Punk instantly where 3:16 just started pushing Austin in the right direction, wasn't until the following year he started gaining momentum.
That being said they were 2 different beasts.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Well... It has been nearly 9 years and people still talk about it. In fact you could argue that the whole pipebomb/shooting on other people became a lot bigger after CM Punk. We've seen guys like Cena, Miz, Sandow, AJ Lee ect who have attempted to have their own CM Punk inspired pipebomb and incorporated that style in their promo.
It's big within the wrestling community yeah, no denying that. But Austin 3:16 was EVERYWHERE in the late 90s in a way the Pipebomb never will be.

Usually the counter to that would be "so and so had a bigger audience" but Austin created his audience and built the biggest boom in wrestling history and the start of that was Austin 3:16.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts