Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don’t have many details on this but AJ Styles was apparently injured during the Men’s Royal Rumble match.

Styles took a spear from Edge and, to make the move look as devastating as possible, he rotated in the air but the landing was not smooth. Styles landed awkwardly on his left shoulder and was checked out by trainers at ringside. He was also being seen by trainers when he got backstage.

If you go back and watch the match, you will notice immediately after the spear that something was not right with his shoulder and Styles made sure to let Baron Corbin and others know not to touch him because of the injury. Eventually, Styles communicated with Edge to let him know.

As a result of the injury, an audible was called and Styles was eliminated sooner than originally planned.

We’ll pass along more info on Styles as soon as we get it. He will likely get diagnosed sometime in the morning.

You can see the spear spot below.

Source: Audible called due to AJ Styles' injury at WWE Royal Rumble | Wrestling News

·
Premium Member
11,866 Posts
That explains his quick exit. As I said in another thread, it sucks that this would happen at any time but especially just a few months before WrestleMania. Hope he makes a speedy recovery in time for the event.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I was also shocked and upset that AJ was eliminated quick, my friend and i actually thought his elimination was some kind of botch or mistake but hopefully it's not too serious and he can make it back for WrestleMania.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I was wondering why he got eliminated before Orton came out after they seemed to be building up them meeting in the Rumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I wasn't really paying attention to how early it was when he was eliminated but I did point out to my wife once he got eliminated that it probably wasn't planned. The looks on Edge and Karl Anderson's face after he hit the ground made me think he was suppose to stay on the apron but slipped or something and they were just like "oh shit". I hope it's not too serious.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I didn't notice that AJ was hurt live, but looking out for it on the second watch, yeah, it was a bad one. Styles wanted the Spear to look ultra impressive so tried a big bump, the injury's not Edge's fault at all. Corbin tried to work Styles in the corner, but AJ has a quick word to him and he backs off, Edge chucks him out soon after.

It did seem strange that Anderson and Gallows were out there after AJ had been eliminated. I wonder if not for that injury, would we be getting Edge vs. AJ at Mania instead? They kinda focused on their staredown in the Rumble. We definitely could have had a Rated RKO vs. OC feud, with maybe Ricochet or Aleister Black joining Edge and Orton.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts