Wrestling Forum banner

Attitude Era without Stone Cold and Rock

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Stuart82 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wonder how much of the success of the Attitude Era was not due to Russo or the change of concept but because of two of the greatest wrestlers ever.

So would the WWF beaten the WCW even with a more boring approach and stories?

If two new great wrestlers now entered the scene would the product not necessarily become great again?

How much of success in wrestling is due to concept/stories and how much success is due to superstar talent?

#2 ·
There where a billion things going on, but they deserve some of it, but no where near all of it, proof of this is in the fact that so many others also main evened durring that time

It was the right time, they went to blood and cussing whent hat was the "thing" it became cool, and they gave mankind the title, why that helped i have no clue

#5 ·
I just wonder how much of the success of the Attitude Era was not due to Russo or the change of concept but because of two of the greatest wrestlers ever.

So would the WWF beaten the WCW even with a more boring approach and stories?

If two new great wrestlers now entered the scene would the product not necessarily become great again?

How much of success in wrestling is due to concept/stories and how much success is due to big names?
without Rock and more importantly, Stone Cold Steve Austin

there is a very real chance WWE would not exist today

they were in bigtime trouble and for a time, honestly speaking, you'd ever wonder if RAW would ever win in the ratings against WCW

#6 ·
The first time RAW actually beat Nitro in the ratings was when they stated Austin vs Vince would take place, They than continuously beat them for a few weeks/months. WCW than finally beat RAW in the ratings when Goldberg won the WCW championship from Hogan on an episode of Nitro.

So yes IMO, Austin, Rock & Vince needed to exist in the wrestling business for WWF to have a chance.

#10 ·
How much of success in wrestling is due to concept/stories and how much success is due to big names?
btw I disagree with this statement tremendously.

I cannot express how WRONG your statement is..

the WWF did not have big names at all.. the big names we think of now WERE MAKING THEIR LEGEND at the time

the "big names" were in WCW with the biggest being Hogan himself

the WWF was failing and failing bigtime.. HHH, D-X, The Rock, Mankind, even Stone Cold Steve Austin himself WERE NOT "Big Names"

they MADE their names during the Attitude Era.. but you cannot, cannot, CANNOT look at it the way we look at the product now with these big names coming in and making appearances

back then..

honest to god.. WWE was fighting for its very survival as a company, it was that bad a time where you honestly wondered if RAW would ever get decent ratings again let alone actually win against the juggernaut WCW had become

#14 ·
(not to poastazr above me)
But there where a hundred other guys lke that, rock him self as well as austin have pointed out guys who where far more talented then them and guys they felt deserved something they never got

Even then you have the tag teams that had some of the best matches, you had taker, you had a whole bunch of others that both of them have said where either as good as them or better

#15 ·
I'd say if the Austin/McMahon feud never happened or if Austin in general never really took off. We'd more an likely be watching WCW Nitro every Monday night now. I usually hate to say without one person, an era wouldn't of happened. But it's really hard to think of the Attitude Era without thinking of Steve Austin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.