Wrestling Forum banner

At what point does NXT expand?

2563 Views 32 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Piehound
The roster is stacked as hell. The NXT has more frequently taken their show on the road, but I almost feel we are at a point where NXT should expand. Especially if they continue bringing in all the best talent.

Eventually were gonna have "too many" great wrestlers, and not enough to go around between NXT and Main Roster. So I feel were at a point NXT sections off, or Smackdown splits.

I don't know how or to what extent, but I just feel that maybe the NXT promotion should head towards "being its own thing" and get on TV, rather than maintaining itself as mainly developmental.

Even if they stayed in Florida as is, they should find a bigger arena, expand the merchandising, and tour more. Then add some more belts, right now, we got 6 guys who could easily be NXT champion. I personally think and easy move is to add 2 more PPV's a year, so every other month, rather than every quarter.

What you think? Does NXT keep building up even if it surpasses RAW?

Reference:
WWE Title Caliber:
Finn, Joe, Aries, Crews, Corbin, Zayn, and Nakamura, with Hideo and Kidd on shelf.

Others:
Alpha Americans, Mechanics, Guns and Gallows, VaudeVillians, Enzo and Cass and Hype Bros. <-Most these guys would make solid individuals.
See less
The roster is stacked as hell. The NXT has more frequently taken their show on the road, but I almost feel we are at a point where NXT should expand. Especially if they continue bringing in all the best talent.

Eventually were gonna have "too many" great wrestlers, and not enough to go around between NXT and Main Roster. So I feel were at a point NXT sections off, or Smackdown splits.

I don't know how or to what extent, but I just feel that maybe the NXT promotion should head towards...
See more
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
I don't think Vince will ever let NXT become even close to how big WWE is. It probably took a lot of convincing from Hunter to make Vince allow NXT to tour nationally. It has already become NXT > Raw, and with NXT talent being somewhat hurt when coming to the main roster, I can see lots more superstars wanting to remain in NXT.

Edit: never mind, found her ;P

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they wanted to do something major they'd re-brand Smackdown and let the touring NXT guys tour on Smackdown while keeping the true development talent in Full Sail.
This is what I'm talking about, you really gonna have guys like Joe and Aries just sit around in Orlando, not making money. Obviously a sweet deal for the older guys, but you still want them building a brand.

I think the perfection solution: Expand to 2 hours

This would fix everything, except with that much time, you really need that Jr. Heavyweight belt for mid-cards who will later become title contenders.

· Registered
365 Posts
I think a second mens belt

PPV every other month

Maybe a bigger arena to tape in that's a little bigger or at least do all bigger venues for Takeovers

I'd love to see them on TV or a once a month live weekly show.

Reactions: Shenroe

· The Last Dragon
15,299 Posts
No need. People will always move up, people will always be coming in.
This. I'd add don't book any TakeOvers @ Full Sail from now on, give a lot more people around the country/world a chance to see a good/great WWE shows, because let's be honest - main roster (with a few exceptions) won't entertain them this year as well.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
This is what I'm talking about, you really gonna have guys like Joe and Aries just sit around in Orlando, not making money. Obviously a sweet deal for the older guys, but you still want them building a brand.

I think the perfection solution: Expand to 2 hours

This would fix everything, except with that much time, you really need that Jr. Heavyweight belt for mid-cards who will later become title contenders.
Two hours is overkill to me but i would not be opposed to a extra match plus another promo or two a week which would likely add an extra 20 minutes per show which would be fine to me. An extra 60 is too much.

· Registered
1,404 Posts
If they wanted to do something major they'd re-brand Smackdown and let the touring NXT guys tour on Smackdown while keeping the true development talent in Full Sail.
That's a great idea actually. Smackdown needs a boost in attendance and the audience doesn't feel any reason to go to a lame duck show. Additions like Aries and Joe could boaster up SD into a good touring brand and atleast people will be interested in going to the shows again. Nobody wants to blow hundreds of dollars on tickets for a nothing show.

· TEAM KICK!
11,134 Posts
Don't fix what ain't broken i say.

Keep having Takeovers outside of Orlando but apart from that i wouldn't change too much. Wrestlers will move up to the main roster and they'll bring new wrestlers into developmental too. They have a pretty huge number of wrestlers only doing house shows, ones who haven't made their debuts on NXT tv as of yet. Many of them then transition into an enhancement talent role before developing characters of their own and going from there. They have a cycle that works, so i wouldn't change it while it's going strong. Another title is a possibility that they could maybe look at, but yeah, things are fine for now. NXT is doing its job, offering an alternative, and readying its talent for the main roster, regardless of how they'll be treated up there.

Reactions: TolerancEJ

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well in last month or so, I watched NXT from Jan 1 2014, to where I'm now in 2015, they keep talking about the brand growing, and getting bigger, and I figured by this time next year, its gonna be the biggest promotion in the world (based off the trajectory between jan 2014 and jan 2015, and from there to jan 2016). It would have already been bigger than RAW, had it not been developmental, and a real promotion who keeps their talent rolling.

I think the show demands to go big:

-Expanded roster, check
-Expanded Touring, check
-Expanded PPV (2015 Did have 5 PPVs, which was almost every other month, up from 4 in 2014, and all were on WWE Network compared to 1 not in 2014)

-Its own Pre-Show (not really needed)
-Add More Belts (a must have at this point)
-Longer Show (they have had extra 5 mins there and here, they range from 41 min to 51 min), solid 60 min is what they need, plus fluff room

· Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,581 Posts
If they're adding belts, they should only add either one belt or no belts at all. I think the limit of PPV's for a year should be 6. Not having a PPV every month is one of the things that makes NXT better than RAW and Smackdown. It allows them to build up storylines more. They shouldn't expand to 2 hours. They can probably expand 25 minutes, but that's it.

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they're adding belts, they should only add either one belt or no belts at all. I think the limit of PPV's for a year should be 6. Not having a PPV every month is one of the things that makes NXT better than RAW and Smackdown. It allows them to build up storylines more. They shouldn't expand to 2 hours. They can probably expand 25 minutes, but that's it.
The 1 belt, I was thinking of, is a "mid card" belt, that preps and grooms younger "not ready" guys for their future title shots.

Owens said it "I fight for a prize". Think about it, someone with the overall package like Jason Jordan, didn't have no where to go to get TV time, so he had to become a tag team again, SOLELY because the only other title to garner is the tag title.

Even Neville had the tag belts before coming champion. The Tag Belts are doing the job of what 2 belts do on RAW/SD.

I just think if NXT needs a middle belt. WWE has two, US and IC. I proclaim that NXT brings on a Jr. Heavyweight Title or an Intercontinental Belt.

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If they were to rebrand smackdown (which they should) a name like Nitro would more likely bring in more viewers
I've really been an advocate for Smackdown to be split off. With NXT so big, they can take "NXT things" and adapt them to Smackdown.

Like NXT shouldn't be messed with, outside normal upgrading. But Smackdown is already an establish touring group that is in dire need of a shot in the arm. If all the major superstars who got injured, were only on RAW, they wouldn't get injured doing back to back tapings on monday and tuesday every week for 52 to weeks, plus 1-2 house shows.

So you take past champions and some mid-cards, mix in some of NXT's best matured talents, like Joe, Finn, Nakamura, and Aries, and you got yourself a show people will actually want to see on USA.

I've also said, that Smackdown name should have been changed years ago, basically since Rock left. They say he invented the word, but I submitted proof to wiki, that Dr. Dre used the word in early 90's using it same reference "about to lay the smackdown". But the word is synonymous with Rock. Nitro would make more sense.

Imagine if they changed the name to Nitro, and had Sting be the GM, and run the show...that would have been awesome.

· Banned
19,356 Posts
Hopefully they just create a new brand and put all the wrinkly old TNA has beens like Joe and Aries, and almost as wrinkly, almost as old, ROH has-beens on that show instead and keep NXT how it should be. Maybe call it Ring of Dishonor or something. I dunno.

But this is way out of hand. Like we're meant to see Aries, Joe, Crews, Ciampa, Zayn, and Balor on the regular? As well as the women's division, as well as the tag division? That legitimately leaves almost no time for singles developmental wrestlers. The only guys in that area I can see getting regular time are Samson and Corbin. Even then, if Samson fails he'll be out pretty quick unfortunately.

They're probably just going to continue making the 'non-big-indie/Japan/TNA-guys' make tag teams with eachother to get 2 over in the amount of time you get 1 over. Sad, really.

· Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hopefully they just create a new brand and put all the wrinkly old TNA has beens like Joe and Aries, and almost as wrinkly, almost as old, ROH has-beens on that show instead and keep NXT how it should be. Maybe call it Ring of Dishonor or something. I dunno.

But this is way out of hand. Like we're meant to see Aries, Joe, Crews, Ciampa, Zayn, and Balor on the regular? As well as the women's division, as well as the tag division? That legitimately leaves almost no time for singles developmental wrestlers. The only guys in that area I can see getting regular time are Samson and Corbin. Even then, if Samson fails he'll be out pretty quick unfortunately.

They're probably just going to continue making the 'non-big-indie/Japan/TNA-guys' make tag teams with eachother to get 2 over in the amount of time you get 1 over. Sad, really.
This is my point. Corbin slipped in by being a 20 second guy for like 2 months.

But if all the guys being called in our "level 7 of 10" already but stay for extended time more than 6 months, and all your rookies are like "5 of 10's", they are not gonna have any room to develop. Yet these top dogs I listed (Crews, Balor, Joe, Aries, Corbin, Zayn and Nakamura), these are the guys who would fill an entire arena, and who people want to see.

You can't have each of them facing all the new guys. And if they don't have new people coming in on TV, it loses part of its uniqueness. So either film 2 hours at FullSail, and make it 1 long 2 hour NXT show. Or film 2 separate 1 hour shows, and have two completely different shows like RAW and Smackdown, have them be the same, but put more emphasis on development on 1 of them. So NXT could be Wednesday and Friday nights.

I personally would watch both. 1 would be mixed rookies and mid-card guys, tons of development. The other would be the more established guy and the guys who want to prove they are ready, but make them mutually beneficial, where guys can be on both shows, or not. I personally think they should move to being live, and start touring. Or tour for a month ahead of time, and film 1 months worth a month delayed.

· Banned
19,356 Posts
This is my point. Corbin slipped in by being a 20 second guy for like 2 months.

But if all the guys being called in our "level 7 of 10" already but stay for extended time more than 6 months, and all your rookies are like "5 of 10's", they are not gonna have any room to develop. Yet these top dogs I listed (Crews, Balor, Joe, Aries, Corbin, Zayn and Nakamura), these are the guys who would fill an entire arena, and who people want to see.

You can't have each of them facing all the new guys. And if they don't have new people coming in on TV, it loses part of its uniqueness. So either film 2 hours at FullSail, and make it 1 long 2 hour NXT show. Or film 2 separate 1 hour shows, and have two completely different shows like RAW and Smackdown, have them be the same, but put more emphasis on development on 1 of them. So NXT could be Wednesday and Friday nights.

I personally would watch both. 1 would be mixed rookies and mid-card guys, tons of development. The other would be the more established guy and the guys who want to prove they are ready, but make them mutually beneficial, where guys can be on both shows, or not. I personally think they should move to being live, and start touring. Or tour for a month ahead of time, and film 1 months worth a month delayed.
If we go back in time like two years and look at the number of people who were featured on NXT, it will probably be less than there are now. Those people were featured more often, but overall there were less. For 60 minutes a week, they've really crammed in as many people as they can. With Aries joining the fray, as well as Ciampa signing full-time (afaik), as well as Zayn's return, that effectively pushes three other people out.

I think they'll be going back to having one tag team feud going at any given time, as well as one women's feud going at any given time, just so they can have all of these guys who should probably be on the main roster by now, featured every month.

Splitting the shows is a genuinely good idea at this point. They probably won't up the time because they've basically got no reason to (it'll just cost them more) so I don't see them changing anything any time soon. It's pathetic, tbh.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.