Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this because nowadays, it seems like the prime age of wrestlers seem to get older and older. And its always been a topic of confusion for me when discussing the prime age for women as well.

I say its 30-40 for men but for women its a big weird. Physically speaking, a woman doesn't actually deteriorate physically as much as men. Hell, they might even be slower with them being smaller. But most women seem to never have careers anywhere beyond 30.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Interesting. I'd love to hear/see statistics on this topic.

My complete guess is about age 27-30. In fantasy baseball, it's said that a player's prime is at the age of 27. I have to think that athletically speaking, 27 is the average prime for most athletes. I'd think this translates to wrestling as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Unlike other professional sports where you hit your prime from like 26-33 I feel wrestling is somewhere between 32-40. It's not just based on athletic ability like other real sports and I think it takes wrestlers longer to pay their dues and really hit their stride.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Interesting. I'd love to hear/see statistics on this topic.

My complete guess is about age 27-30. In fantasy baseball, it's said that a player's prime is at the age of 27. I have to think that athletically speaking, 27 is the average prime for most athletes. I'd think this translates to wrestling as well.
Wrestling is fake though. While I don't argue that 27-33 is probably peak athletic range, there's more to wrestling then just the athletic parts. For instance Stone Cold was a much better athlete in his 20s, but he didn't hit his prime until his 30's.

·
Baby Yoda
30,146 Posts
Depends, AJ wasted a lot of his athletic prime in TNA. As an all round in ring performer, he was probably in his peak during his NJPW run. Would have been amazing to see AJ at his athletic best in a proper NJPW run.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
Athletically, probably around 26-32. As a COMPLETE performer (in terms of character and in-ring mastery), somewhere between 32 and 40, if we're going by precedence. This is why I have no issues with guys who come in around age 35-38. They still have plenty of mileage in the tank as far as being a complete performer is concerned. If they come in at their best, so be it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
In other sports it has to be 25-32 but in Wrestling I can say 30-40 is right.

If the wrestler get to 40 without hitting his prime I don't think he will ever do.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
With the exception of a a guy like Brock whose greatest strength is his physical dominance and that's what got him over, I'm going to say mid 30's all around.

Reactions: Ace

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In other sports it has to be 25-32 but in Wrestling I can say 30-40 is right.

If the wrestler get to 40 without hitting his prime I don't think he will ever do.
Cough Diamond Dallas Page Cough

·
I'm Just A Sick Guy.
1,884 Posts
I think objectively it depends on what age they started wrestling, how many matches they've had, where they've worked and what style they've worked.

Generally speaking, around 35.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've seen like lots of great answers for men, but what I'm more curious about is what is the prime age range for women.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,444 Posts
Late 20s-early 30s from a physical standpoint. Wrestling is much more than just athletics though. Things like ring psychology and the ability to tell a story generally improve with age, so a wrestler's true prime can often be later on. Cena's best performances arguably didn't start until his mid 30s. Stone Cold was also around that age range during his peak.

So I'd generally say roughly between 34-40 as an overall package.

So I've seen like lots of great answers for men, but what I'm more curious about is what is the prime age range for women.
In theory there's no reason it wouldn't be the same as with men. Women historically haven't lasted as long as men in WWE but I think that's more down to wanting children and/or WWE valuing looks over everything else, so when they started to decline it was time to go. For future generations of women it probably won't be that way.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
In ring work can range wildly, but in terms of overall package, probably around 35 years old. That seems to be when most performers really get a handle on their character, without losing too much in terms of in-ring ability.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Only because the WWE values looks so much I'd say 28-34 is the peak for women. Unfortunately on average women lose their good looks earlier in age then men do. There's been plenty of "sexiest man on earth" magazine spots for guys in their 40s and 50s. I don't think a women in her 40s or 50s has ever been considered the sexiest woman on earth.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Cough Diamond Dallas Page Cough
After I posted I knew someone quote me and mention him but to be honest DDP is inspirational and exceptional with start training in such late age and your rookie year as 35 year old.

I will give also lot of credit to Dusty Rhodes for making DDP believe in himself because DDP thought that the highest thing to achieve is people just remember him as a good wrestler.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Roman Reigns is now 32 and is still yet to really reach his prime, he still feels young for a top star.

Rollins and Ambrose are still young and on an upward curve.

AJ Styles is just at his peak as a performer.

I'd narrow it down to 35 - 38 are the prime years for a top performer in the WWE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts