Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She won the Rumble but choked at Mania.

Won the SD title, but was completely irrelevant before losing to Charlotte.

Won the Raw title during down season and lost it before a big ppv. Not to mention constant losses as champ on Raw.

Asuka just a weak transitional champ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
She isn’t interesting as a character due to her lack of mic/ English skills.

She is fun and likable as a Daniel Bryan type of a title chaser - the colorful Asian girl who is great in ring , but as a champion she lacks the skills to be great compared to women like Becky, Charlotte , Ronda, Sasha etc.

Since she became the new champ she hasn’t done anything different than her previous reigns . Without good mic skills she can’t for example change her gimmick and turn into some totally different corporate heel persona for example .

I think at this point she is past her prime as a character and should remain in the mid card putting over newer women as she will always be credible being the first RR winner as well as being multiple times champ and tag team champ. But that’s all there is.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Shes a very good worker but I think with her limited English somebody like Vince isn't gonna see her as a long reigning champion. HHH did and he booked her in a way where it worked because she went out there and just went on a streak. But soon as she got to main roster Vince ain't gonna keep that going especially when he's higher on people like Charlotte and Becky and sees more money in them. She's a Japanese wrestler in the WWE who can't really speak great English like I said there not gonna see her as the top top champ that's just the reality of it. I think she can do well helping younger talent get to the next level if she wants to stick around but she's almost 40 and been wrestling a long time so who knows what's gonna happen down the line

·
HEADBANGA
22,419 Posts
Despite how she has been booked as champion, she has many accomplishments that most of the women wish they had. She's heavily relied upon the past year and has always been in a good spot. Obviously the company values her. She will most likely go after Bayley going into Summerslam over Sasha.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
In WWE the win-loss record doesn't matter, what really matters is how they book those wins. She has never pinned someone to win a Women Championship in WWE (main roster).

- Won the SmackDown Women Championship thanks to Ronda Rousey interfering in the ladder match. The big storyline here was Ronda screwing Becky and Charlotte.

- She was awarded the RAW Women Championship from Becky. After spending the first 3 months of the year doing the honours to Becky this came out as very patronizing, a glorified consolation prize.

Kayfabe wise she is one of the worst women champions of all times, beeing awarded the title is something that only should be done for heels to gain heat, for a babyface is a terrible move, kills any chance of taking that character seriously.

I think this makes it very clear what her current spot in the company is.

Would not be surprised if she wins the title from Sasha (Bayley costing her the title) only to drop it to Shayna Bazsler or a debuting Rhea Ripley a month later, I don't see her as the champion going into Survivor Series which is the PPV where the storylines for WM begins.

Her bigger moment of the year was making Charlotte tap out to retained the title on RAW, but let's be clear kayfabe Charlotte only tapped pout because Nia Jax attacked her prior the match.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
She isn’t interesting as a character due to her lack of mic/ English skills.

She is fun and likable as a Daniel Bryan type of a title chaser - the colorful Asian girl who is great in ring , but as a champion she lacks the skills to be great compared to women like Becky, Charlotte , Ronda, Sasha etc.

Since she became the new champ she hasn’t done anything different than her previous reigns . Without good mic skills she can’t for example change her gimmick and turn into some totally different corporate heel persona for example .

I think at this point she is past her prime as a character and should remain in the mid card putting over newer women as she will always be credible being the first RR winner as well as being multiple times champ and tag team champ. But that’s all there is.
This is a really good point. With her limitations as a character in America there's only so much you can really do with her. How long can she just be loud and colourful?

·
WWE plant
3,892 Posts
Somebody who can not speak English will and should never be anything more than a transitional champion.

No promos, no verbal exchanges, no nothing. You simply cannot carry (or even fully partake in) a feud without being able to use words.

The goofy dancing and gibberish screaming are fun for a bit but run their course very, very quickly.

·
Smokin' Da Good Stuff
2,593 Posts
Shes a very good worker but I think with her limited English somebody like Vince isn't gonna see her as a long reigning champion. HHH did and he booked her in a way where it worked because she went out there and just went on a streak. But soon as she got to main roster Vince ain't gonna keep that going especially when he's higher on people like Charlotte and Becky and sees more money in them. She's a Japanese wrestler in the WWE who can't really speak great English like I said there not gonna see her as the top top champ that's just the reality of it. I think she can do well helping younger talent get to the next level if she wants to stick around but she's almost 40 and been wrestling a long time so who knows what's gonna happen down the line

Your right about asuka not being liked due to her lack of english but it took a few years before he realised how marketable and over becky was then he still thought inserting Charlotte would make the match v ronda at mania better, which she could of done one on one, asuka will never be booked strong u till hunter takes over, but she will probably leave wwe by then.

·
The EST of NXT
28,791 Posts
She won the Rumble but choked at Mania.

Won the SD title, but was completely irrelevant before losing to Charlotte.

Won the Raw title during down season and lost it before a big ppv. Not to mention constant losses as champ on Raw.

Asuka just a weak transitional champ?
Here's the difference between Asuka losing to Charlotte and Sasha. The loss to Sasha will lead to long term character development and she'll more than likely get the title back. The loss to Charlotte lead to two years of irrelevance.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I actually feel quite bad for asuka, as she is a hell of a talent and if HHH was in charge of the main roster then Asuka would currently be one of the biggest stars in the company.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I actually feel quite bad for asuka, as she is a hell of a talent and if HHH was in charge of the main roster then Asuka would currently be one of the biggest stars in the company.
First of all. I think she is one of the biggest stars. She was always right behind Becky and Charlotte when it came to on screen time, ppv appearances and kayfabe accomplishments.

But the main roster is a different beast. Being a good wrestler isn't going to cut it. If you want to be top dog, you have to be an ambassador for your brand. Wwe top stars do a lot of stuff outside the ring like talk shows, make a wish etc. Asuka can't do many of these things because of the language barrier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's the difference between Asuka losing to Charlotte and Sasha. The loss to Sasha will lead to long term character development and she'll more than likely get the title back. The loss to Charlotte lead to two years of irrelevance.
You hope the loss to Sasha leads to long term character development.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Kayfabe wise she is one of the worst women champions of all times, being awarded the title is something that only should be done for heels to gain heat, for a babyface is a terrible move, kills any chance of taking that character seriously.
The problem is that the whole "she was gifted the title" isn't exactly true. In Kayfabe she won it in a ladder match, but didn't know it until Monday. To say she was gifted the title is like Stone Cold was gifted his King of the Ring win.

And she could've easily if she was able to pull off convincing wins that proved that she was worthy of the title, but...

Her bigger moment of the year was making Charlotte tap out to retained the title on RAW, but let's be clear kayfabe Charlotte only tapped pout because Nia Jax attacked her prior the match.
Doesn't help that everyone from the commentators to the interviewers were questioning if Asuka could've won without the pre-match attack.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Asuka's streak will always keep her as a legit champion to me.

Poster child for transitional female champions to me are Naomi and Natalya. Does anyone even remember Natalya and Naomi won the Smackdown women's champion in 2017? Anyone at all?

I also disagree that "lack of English" makes her a bad character. Becky and Bailey speak English. They aren't interesting to me. Alistair Black speaks English. His promos are terrible, Macbeth inspired gibberish that doesn't connect with anyone and arguably hurt his character. Seth too.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Transitional champion is a good role for her. Many girls there would like to have that role. In fact, Asuka achieved more than I expected her to achieve on the main roster.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
I personally think she's more the poster child for booking so completely and idiotically horrible it can only be purposely idiotically and completely horrible....

But hey, perhaps that's just me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts