Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
5701 - 5719 of 5719 Posts

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Becky tapped out Charlotte on a random Smackdown episode in 2018. This was when both were faces and it was a "friendly" match between them.

Ironically, Charlotte's terrible selling of Nia's attack did in fact work out in Asuka's favor on Monday. So it seemed like Asuka beat a 100% Charlotte because of her bad selling

·
NBA
3,343 Posts
And the WWE can pretend all they want that Charlotte isn't absurdly protected but it's clear they saw Charlotte tapping as a big deal since they devoted 3 segments to protect her in loss.
Yeah, they always come up with some fuckery whenever she has to lose to someone. She's yet to lose cleanly in definite fashion against someone in a feud.

the last time she'd tapped out on TV was to Sasha Banks in their Falls Count Anywhere match on RAW 3.5 years ago, but I guess she did tap a few times, clean, for Becky?
Charlotte ended up getting her win back so it ended up being for nothing. And nope, Becky never made her tap.

ronically, Charlotte's terrible selling of Nia's attack did in fact work out in Asuka's favor on Monday. So it seemed like Asuka beat a 100% Charlotte because of her bad selling
It's not only that she doesn't sell in the ring, but she also no sells when it comes to other little details. For example:

See that sweat and tears? The way someone reacts when they win or lose is important when it comes to selling a match as a big deal. I mean, take Sasha, who always goes mega cocky as if she had been elected president of the US whenever she wins a match and gets pissed off whenever she loses. Charlotte though usually does nothing but stand there with a condescending half assed grin regardless of if she wins or loses, which basically takes away from the aura of the matches. Then there's the fact that she acts the same during her segments with other wrestlers both backstage and on the ring. It's just, she's supposed to be the flagbearer of the division who's always used because she "elevates" every program she's put into, so could she at least pretend to care and put a bit of emotion into it? It's hard to buy that presentation when she's usually treating everything and everyone under the sun as a no deal.

People say that's being a heel and working the fans, but to me it's nothing but plain laziness.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Yup, Charlotte's lack of passion is probably one of the big factors into why fans can't fully connect with her. Becky shows passion. Asuka shows passion. If the performer doesn't seem to care, why should fans?

Hell, even Brock Lesnar occasionally shows passion, even as an overpowered heel.

Despite some speculation Sasha might beat Asuka at Extreme Rules, I'm coming back around to the idea that they might well roll out Shayna at SummerSlam, provided Charlotte v Asuka doesn't happen again.

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
Someone proposed an interesting and somewhat scary thought on the upcoming Sasha/Asuka match.

If you aren't watching Smackdown tonight, Nikki Cross won a #1 contender's match to face Bayley at Extreme Rules. People are speculating that she will beat Bayley, while Sasha will beat Asuka, setting up the split and a feud for the RAW title. And also letting Nikki Cross and Alexa Bliss split and feud over the Smackdown title.

·
NBA
3,343 Posts
Thing is, Brock Lesnar's kayfabe role is different to that of Charlotte. Brock is supposed to be this heel who takes down everybody and does the job at Mania, and when he jobs, he jobs clean and rarely goes and "gets his win back" from the guys he jobs to. Yeah, they usually go back to him, but that's mainly them resetting the cycle because something happened with their previous chosen faces that made them change plans. It doesn't hurt that much to have him be so indifferent towards the company and the titles because he ain't supposed to be this GOAT (he's regarded as this by fans, but never in kayfabe) virtuoso who's supposed to lead the men's division to new heights. And even then, people have had enough of him doing the same routine every year.

Charlotte though, is presented as the absolute GOAT and low key actual face of the division who's always the champ at some point because no one else could bring as much prestige to the division as she does and as such is always protected the same way a babyface would be. That falls flat the moment she acts the way she does: why should people think the division means something when she, the very staple, is always treating it like a small deal? If she were presented as this cruel monster heel who does nothing but disrespect the company and its the titles and whom the faces need to beat in order to avenge said insult, I could buy it, but that's clearly not the case.

If you aren't watching Smackdown tonight, Nikki Cross won a #1 contender's match to face Bayley at Extreme Rules. People are speculating that she will beat Bayley, while Sasha will beat Asuka, setting up the split and a feud for the RAW title. And also letting Nikki Cross and Alexa Bliss split and feud over the Smackdown title.

Wow, Bayley's current run is the 2nd longest one from both MR shows and the longest if you forget her days without the title in between it and her first run, and they are going to have Nikki be the one to put an end to it, and probably clean at that? Wow, that's a super push, esp. considering they still can't give Asuka a fucking clean defense on PPV. As in, nikki is over, but not top 3 or 4 over.

Also, surprised they aren't giving that push to Lacey, even though I prefer Cross to her.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Someone proposed an interesting and somewhat scary thought on the upcoming Sasha/Asuka match.

I think Sasha and Bayley being for both the RAW and Smackdown titles at SummerSlam is a likelier occurrence than this scenario (Nikki winning the SD and then Sasha and Bayley feuding for the RAW title that is)

I'm pretty sure the end goal is still to get Sasha a Grand Slam by having her win the SD title so to me switching their feud for the RAW title seems pretty weird.

Although it would be one of those classic Vince pranks where he gets to screw Asuka again while simultaneously denying Sasha a Grand Slam.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,426 Posts
For all the people who got problems playing the twitter version, here is the YT one:

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
I think Sasha and Bayley being for both the RAW and Smackdown titles at SummerSlam is a likelier occurrence than this scenario (Nikki winning the SD and then Sasha and Bayley feuding for the RAW title that is)

I'm pretty sure the end goal is still to get Sasha a Grand Slam by having her win the SD title so to me switching their feud for the RAW title seems pretty weird.

Although it would be one of those classic Vince pranks where he gets to screw Asuka again while simultaneously denying Sasha a Grand Slam.
I do think the theory is a bit unfounded, because in the latest newsletter, Dave did mention that he has heard the initial plan for Summerslam as of right now. And it is underwhelming.

Asuka (c) vs Nia Jax vs Charlotte

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Yeesh. I guess that's the match many of us kind of expected though. Wonder if Charlotte gets her win back here, or Asuka ends up beating Nia for good.

Boy they really are avoiding Shayna though.

Asuka2Belts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
At this rate WWE should be more worry about losing more talents due the CoVID infection. I assume Charlotte's injury is not bad at all,perhaps WWE already run a test to her and asking her to stay at home since she probably doesn't have any programs until early August, meanwhile Asuka keep stay around PC due the taping and this week,RAW have contract signing between her and Sasha Banks.

Seems someone is having fun with the banter in Twitter

·
Registered
312 Posts
Though contract signings are awfully formulaic in nature, I'm intrigued by the idea of Asuka interacting with Drew. I think Drew's been a really good, physically-credible world champ, in the ring and on the mic. Both of his recent PPV matches have been strong. It'd be hilarious if he acted like he understood every word Asuka said in Japanese, and relayed it to Sasha, with some colourful language thrown in.

Anyways, though it's not announced yet (as far as I can tell), I'd say a mixed-tag match is very likely. But I'm not sure how they'd get heat on the heels, because I don't think they'd want Sasha (and especially Dolph) eating pins before the PPV. So unless they add Kairi and Bayley to the mix (for a six person mixed-tag), they might do something ridiculous like having Drew accidentally hit Asuka with a Claymore, and Sasha pinning her. Then Drew carries Asuka out, like Keith Lee when he fell on Candace LeRae on NXT a few weeks ago.. And a new onscreen romance blossoms! Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself...heh.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Though contract signings are awfully formulaic in nature, I'm intrigued by the idea of Asuka interacting with Drew. I think Drew's been a really good, physically-credible world champ, in the ring and on the mic. Both of his recent PPV matches have been strong. It'd be hilarious if he acted like he understood every word Asuka said in Japanese, and relayed it to Sasha, with some colourful language thrown in.

Anyways, though it's not announced yet (as far as I can tell), I'd say a mixed-tag match is very likely. But I'm not sure how they'd get heat on the heels, because I don't think they'd want Sasha (and especially Dolph) eating pins before the PPV. So unless they add Kairi and Bayley to the mix (for a six person mixed-tag), they might do something ridiculous like having Drew accidentally hit Asuka with a Claymore, and Sasha pinning her. Then Drew carries Asuka out, like Keith Lee when he fell on Candace LeRae on NXT a few weeks ago.. And a new onscreen romance blossoms! Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself...heh.
Yeah I wonder what the finish will be too. Common sense would dictate a superteam like McIntyre/Asuka should win. But the heels losing would take off their heat.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
If a mixed tag happens, it's mostly a simple story of the RAW champs defending home base against the Smackdown invaders

Anyway, Drew is more protected than Asuka so if they lost that match chances are Asuka getting hit by a Claymore and Sasha pinning her, yeah. Or the humiliation of getting knocked out by Ziggler and then Sasha pinning her

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's too bad they throw away so many of these "first time this wrestler's been pinned by this other wrestler" scenarios on random RAWs or SDs with 50/50 booking. I just don't know how they can make Ziggler seem even remotely credible as a challenger, despite his history with Drew. Braun may actually lose to Cult-Leader Bray at Extreme Rules, because it's non-title (though that's probably just a way to trick us into thinking Bray can win), but there's no way Drew's getting pinned anytime soon.

This wasn't a problem with world champs many years ago, because when, say, Hulk Hogan was champ in the '80s, he NEVER worked singles matches on regular weekly shows. Heck, he rarely even appeared on them. So they just got heat on his opponents by having them beat jobbers in squash matches in the interim.

Anyways, if it ultimately leads to an Asuka-Drew romance, it'll all be worth it in the end. ;)

Actually, they should just have Drew and Asuka go over clean here. Have Asuka and Drew both kick Ziggler in the head.

Drew and Ziggler should actually have a TABLES match at Extreme Rules, which creates better suspense for a fluky Ziggler upset (if Drew steps on a table, or something). They can even tape it ahead of time, and take some absurd risks around the tables that they normally wouldn't attempt in front of a live crowd.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I think we could see the proper build up for next three weeks and maybe Asuka is gonna make appearance on SDL to confront Sasha or tag with Nikki Cross in Champion & contender tag team match.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,985 Posts
Yeah, they always come up with some fuckery whenever she has to lose to someone. She's yet to lose cleanly in definite fashion against someone in a feud.

Charlotte ended up getting her win back so it ended up being for nothing. And nope, Becky never made her tap.

It's not only that she doesn't sell in the ring, but she also no sells when it comes to other little details. For example:

See that sweat and tears? The way someone reacts when they win or lose is important when it comes to selling a match as a big deal. I mean, take Sasha, who always goes mega cocky as if she had been elected president of the US whenever she wins a match and gets pissed off whenever she loses. Charlotte though usually does nothing but stand there with a condescending half assed grin regardless of if she wins or loses, which basically takes away from the aura of the matches. Then there's the fact that she acts the same during her segments with other wrestlers both backstage and on the ring. It's just, she's supposed to be the flagbearer of the division who's always used because she "elevates" every program she's put into, so could she at least pretend to care and put a bit of emotion into it? It's hard to buy that presentation when she's usually treating everything and everyone under the sun as a no deal.

People say that's being a heel and working the fans, but to me it's nothing but plain laziness.
Jesus Christ, you folks overhype the shit out of selling, and make it a wayyyy bigger deal than it actually is. What a trivial point to nitpick about Asuka vs Charlotte Flair this past week :LOL:

For the record, Becky Lynch DID make Charlotte Flair tap out before in June 2018.

This was actually the 2nd time Becky has done so too on Smackdown. She made Charlotte submit on a Smackdown episode about a year before this match took place in 2017.

For the record, Charlotte's "win" over Becky last year (that critics want to whine about) at Money in the Bank is overshadowed by the fact that Bayley cashed in and beat her for the Smackdown Women's title minutes later; so it's not really much of a big victory for Charlotte. That still doesn't change the fact that Becky mostly dominated Charlotte in their lengthy feud over a year ago (which was the right call since Becky needed those big wins).

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
If they do a mixed tag match, Dolph will eat the pin. He still does it constantly even when he is in the title scene.

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,365 Posts
Reboot time. Can someone please make a new thread.

5701 - 5719 of 5719 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.