Wrestling Forum banner

4981 - 4996 of 4996 Posts

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Damned drone laws (jk, makes sense why they require of people to register them)

As for the George Floyd tweet. That was an WWE tweet and she probably was told to post it. Something tells me Kana is going to try and abstain from all of this since she ain't familiar with the American political climate.
She was the only Japanese wrestler in the company who retweeted it. So no, that was probably her own choice.

But I agree with you that she's likely reluctant to comment on American politics, as would most foreigners in America. Some of the online warriors were really on a rampage gaslighting all the celebrities and corporations not making a satisfactory statement these past 2 days.

The thing is, most of the statements are not even genuine, and why should they be? Non black Americans can't relate, and pretending to often makes them look like they're pandering. It's a lose lose scenario.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts
She was the only Japanese wrestler in the company who retweeted it.
Really? There may be some weight to the Kairi contract rumours after all. She usually would tweet positive stuff like that (though that tweet was corporate PR through and through). Io ain't as high profile yet, so she doesn't need to worry about towing any company lines and posting their tweets.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Really? There may be some weight to the Kairi contract rumours after all. She usually would tweet positive stuff like that (though that tweet was corporate PR through and through). Io ain't as high profile yet, so she doesn't need to worry about towing any company lines and posting their tweets.
Neither did Nakamura or Tozawa.

In fact not a lot of white WWE wrestlers retweeted it either (though they did post other things virtue signalling BLM).

Most people know the WWE statement was bland and corporate, so only the company people like HHH and Steph would actually retweet it. Asuka, with english not being her first language, wouldn't know how well the statement comes off, only that it is a message of support put together in a way she would not have been able to craft herself, so her retweeting it would be her only way of showing good intentions without tripping over herself trying to craft her own awkward post addressing it.

Ultimate, Japanese are a "mind our own business" culture so I'm not surprised at their reluctance to pontificate about matters they feel is not their business. Hana's death, for example, means a lot to Io and Kairi personally, so they would post about that. The issues of black-white racial tensions in America, however, is something they likely know little about and would probably rather not touch it.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts
Neither did Nakamura or Tozawa.
Most people know the WWE statement was bland and corporate, so only the company people like HHH and Steph would actually retweet it. Asuka, with english not being her first language, wouldn't know how well the statement comes off, only that it is a message of support put together in a way she would not have been able to craft herself, so her retweeting it would be her only way of showing good intentions without tripping over herself trying to craft her own awkward post addressing it.

Tbf, neither Naka, much less Tozawa, have Asuka's status within the company (yeah, let's say the facts, she's the most sucessful Japanese star and the only one to have reached occasional main event status so far) so the latter certainly would feel more pressure to plug in that sort of stuff from time to time.

Either that or she genuinelly is a corporate stooge. Back then we would have never thought she would stay with the e for so long, let alone find so much success as she did so...one never knows.

Also, Kairi and Io are still mourning, so makes sense for them to not be in the mood for any sort of potential internet drama and wanting to avoid that stuff like the plague for the time being.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Tbf, neither Naka, much less Tozawa, have Asuka's status within the company (yeah, let's say the facts, she's the most sucessful Japanese star and the only one to have reached occasional main event status so far) so the latter certainly would feel more pressure to plug in that sort of stuff from time to time.

Either that or she genuinelly is a corporate stooge. Back then we would have never thought she would stay with the e for so long, let alone find so much success as she did so...one never knows.

Also, Kairi and Io are still mourning, so makes sense for them to not be in the mood for any sort of potential internet drama and wanting to avoid that stuff like the plague for the time being.
Like I said, people like Charlotte and Seth (the 2 biggest WWE bootlickers) didn't retweet it either. So I don't think it was a company-wide directive.

That being said, you're right that there would be more pressure on Asuka from certain fans to address it given she is of a higher stature, even if she doesn't want to (or even qualified to). So she probably figured retweeting something to show she is aware of what is going on would be the best compromise, while avoiding personally posting something potentially foolish herself.

At any rate, the news channels are already starting to lose interest in covering it, so ultimately it will be back to the regular in a few weeks most likely.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts
Charlotte and Seth already posted their own more straightforward tweets days ago, so they don't need to tweet a watered down version of what they already posted. Asuka though, you may be right, cause let's face it, this is is the worst possible time to be champ what with both the covid and now the protests thing that are seriously hurting her run. Also, unlike most of the other top names, she hadn't said anything yet so, as you say, this is her way of finally addressing that after having been pestered to do it in the most diplomatic way possible and without having to give her personal two cents (which, let's be honest, would be horrible, cause either way she's gonna piss someone).

Damn, Covid, Charlotte and now nationwide civil unrest. Her run can't catch a break.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Don't forget that Asuka is the RAW women champion, she's the face of the women division , so she had to post something about it.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,369 Posts
Kairi did that blackout thing on instagram instead. Asuka also. Kinda expected them to be above such virtue signalling tbh.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts
Well, working in the big US promotions is a different beast to the working the more seclusive Japanese scene so, gotta expect wrestlers to behave differently once they cross the pond, esp. if they want to climb up the card. Simply put, corporate America ain't the place for integrity and personal space, much less the wwe, of all possible places.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,989 Posts
Hadn`t time to watch the show earlier. :)
Overall no real surprise, because Charlotte wanted to promote her match for Takeover and she couldn`t get beaten again. Charlotte is a problematic case anyway, cause she isn`t carried by her own, so every clean loss would damage her a lot.

Very sad, that Kairi had to do another such match with Nia. Sorry, but since her comeback, Nia`s mobility is much worse than before, so there is simple no room to correct herself when a move already started bad ... she HAS to execute it badly then. :(
In past I had said, that Nia just doesn`t care, but meanwhile I think she just can`t do better!

About the mask and the comparison to Ellsworth: beside spoilers maybe, you could not see it was Ellsworth. In Nia`s case everybory knowed it was Nia. :D

If I understood you guys right, you talked about doing political statements or not. I don`t agree on the point, that Asuka got to say something on her own, especially after that minimal statement by WWE. As rich foreigner in US, some people will dislike you saying something anyway.

·
NBA
2,626 Posts

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
If I understood you guys right, you talked about doing political statements or not. I don`t agree on the point, that Asuka got to say something on her own, especially after that minimal statement by WWE. As rich foreigner in US, some people will dislike you saying something anyway.
None of us here said Asuka had to say something. We were merely discussing her possible process on how she would broach the issue while under pressure from the keyboard warriors to say something, even if she wanted to keep out of it.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,989 Posts
None of us here said Asuka had to say something. We were merely discussing her possible process on how she would broach the issue while under pressure from the keyboard warriors to say something, even if she wanted to keep out of it.
I know these kind of guys and they also worked on Becky. But instead writing to wrestlers, these guys should write to their local politician. Also, from all celebrities and sports-people, wrestlers are on the weakest position, because they are extremly dependent on their actual company and are half at work all the time.

Meanwhile Asuka hides behind other problems ;)

·
NBA
2,626 Posts
Damn, I want Kana to post her drone video again.:cry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, given how much folks on both sides of the pol***cal spectrum seemed 2 jump all over Ricochet for his polite, calm, well-articulated and measured response to Jaxson Ryker (sp?) on Twitter, you can hardly blame someone who isn't totally fluent in English for not wanting to jump in on the conversation.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't anyways. You don't say something, you're supposedly not supporting the cause; you do say something, you're "pandering" or "virtue-signaling". It's impossible to pass the purity/sincerity test, with some people.

Anyways, I'm glad they put out that Best of Asuka's Undefeated Streak on the WWE Network. Damn, that match with Ember Moon in Brooklyn was a good one. Asuka helped Ember look like a million bucks in that match, by really selling Ember's offense. It really underlines how Charlotte's no-selling in many of her matches (particularly in the last year) is doing a major disservice to many in the women's division.

4981 - 4996 of 4996 Posts