Wrestling Forum banner

3501 - 3520 of 3540 Posts

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
wwe are aware of this though, which is why they try so hard to destroy AEW all the while trying to downplay them and why they go to insane lenghts to showcase their pet projects as smark bait. Not that they'll ever admit any of this though, since wwe is like the fucking tsundere of promotions when it comes to their relationship with their fanbase.

"go away filthy hardcore! But don't go, please... not that I wanted you to stay or anything...stupid"

LOL what a pathetic lot.

As for the Lashley-Lana-Rusev angle, they like to tout that small increase they had that one week during the wedding segment yet then act as if the previous 4 months where the angle was flopping bad on all levels never happened. Again, it's pathetic.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts

Is it me or is the cameraperson wearing a mask and a hoodie? Also, since I'm not familiar with American suburban areas (for obvious reasons) is that Las Vegas or was the video shot while on tour?

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Asuka's cameraman is very careful not to even let mirrors catch him in most videos, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd wear all that stuff here when he sits in the back of the car.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I think that guy was the person who do the editing and yes, it's so obvious to prevent the exposure from camera , some user in other board speculate it was the Reddit guy, you can check it through Google if you want to.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Asuka has said she edits quite a few of the videos herself, while travelling. Though I'm sure the cameraman knows his way around editing equipment himself.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
Asuka is definitely the one who edits most of her videos, cause otherwise the dates don't add, not to mention it has to be impossible for the cameraperson to be the same on every video (some are shot at her home and/or while she's having some time off overseas, which practically rules out her fellow coworkers, while the other videos are shot while on tour, which means it can't be any relative of hers shooting those).

The WWE also fails to recognize what online word of mouth can do for their product. Those hardcore comic book fans are a minority, but they're loud. Is it really no surprise that a comic book movie's upside often lives and dies on how it's perceived by the hardcore fans? When they give it the stamp of approval, the casuals think "Well the fans think it's good so maybe I'll check it out." The ones that are widely panned by fans may get a good first week but then they drop off a cliff in subsequent weeks.
That's even truer in the wrestling business, where image and fan perception are kings and mean everything. I also think they are aware of this, too, going by how oversensitive a lot of their wrestlers have become all out of a sudden this past year (you can bet your ass they are telling them to "protect the brand" or some shit like that)

Btw the RAW title match was better than the PPV one by quite a fair margin, but then again, that match was obviously overbooked, while the RAW and RR 2019 ones were obviously called by them Becky and Asuka, and those two are better at calling the matches themselves than they are at following the Vince 101 instruction manual. Also, RR 20 had a lame face-heel dynamics (dirty heel who's being sabotaged by the referee and cocky though face who's playing underdog? wtf?) and finish.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
You can tell which videos Asuka shoots herself because those ones either are shot in first person POV or her being stationary (Like Asuka sitting on a desk with her phone camera facing her). The ones where the camera follows her is probably her living partner. But yeah, she's a very competent video editor and has obviously edited some videos on tour, probably in her hotel or something.

As for the match, yeah it was really good but also keep in mind Asuka has been on fire the past couple of weeks in terms of the quality of her matches. She's just on a level right now that nobody on the roster is at currently, not even the men. If they had this match in August or even October it might not have been as good because Asuka's joints had frozen up a bit over the summer from inactivity LMAO. It took her a few months of regular matches again to get back in a groove. Now that she is, everyone can see that there are few better when she's on her game.

Of course, now I expect her workload to subside again and her joints will get rusty again until they need her again later in the year to feed/feud to some new champ

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

There is some stuff that happened in the breaks that t.v didn't catch.

I noticed in the Becky/Asuka feud that Asuka's fisherman's neckbreaker from the apron to the floor is put over like it's a death blow. The way it happened is that if it hits, it's a prelude to what many coined Asuka Mutilation. Becky would try to counter it at all costs after the Royal Rumble 2019 loss.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
If they had this match in August or even October it might not have been as good because Asuka's joints had frozen up a bit over the summer from inactivity LMAO. It took her a few months of regular matches again to get back in a groove.
If they had had this match in August, they would have used Asuka throughout Spring and Summer instead of having her in catering, which means she wouldn't have gotten rusty to begin with.

Of course, now I expect her workload to subside again and her joints will get rusty again until they need her again later in the year to feed/feud to some new champ
That's the sad part.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no sign about giving Asuka another single push or try to break Kabuki based how they advertise their event on Japan in July and I kinda believe they will do unrestricted or cross brand if Shayna remain with NXT and Charlotte successful win the title from Rhea, NXT is looking for rating and perhaps they will leech RAW to make it happen, on positive side, we're probably can see better direction if RAW working with NXT, the women's tag team have more competition and perhaps the more tv time for Asuka, that's all matters now.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
As the last 3 months have shown, they have no problem pushing Asuka in singles competition even if she's in a tag team. If they need her in May for a singles title feud even despite still tagging with Kairi, they will push her in a singles title feud. So I wouldn't read anything into her still being in Kabuki Warriors preventing a singles push.

Doesn't mean she will win a title if she's "pushed" in singles of course, but it doesn't mean she can't be pushed as a singles competitor while in a tag team.

It's clear that the company realizes she's a great worker, otherwise they wouldn't give her matches so much time and keep using her again and again to lose to their Chosen Ones. That her last match with Becky had great reactions shows that she hasn't lost the knack for working a big match that the crowd is into as well.

So, I expect she will be used again in a singles feud at some point because there are few women as good at making/tricking audiences into thinking a Chosen One looks like a main event worker than Asuka.

But this is exactly why some fans want to see her somewhere else. Yeah, she's used and protected to a degree, even wins a few token accolades, but there's a ceiling to her and we're getting sick of it. We shouldn't be resorting to rooting for MAYBE a 1-2 month RAW reign down the line. Even if she wins MITB, cashes in, and gets her RAW title reign, the high will be fleeting at best and we'd go back to thinking she is capable of a longer reign once she inevitably drops it prematurely or gets "Bayley'd" (where she gets no storylines and she's portrayed as an irrelevant champion). We know a properly booked 5-6+ month singles reign seems very remote. Wishing for an Asuka push is like using a Monkey's Paw. Even if it happens, they do their best to make it unsatisfying and NOT exactly what we asked for, in a bad way.

A move to AEW would bring uncertainty, but uncertainty is CERTAINLY more intriguing than predictability, imo.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Fans realize Asuka is magic worker and she ain't mark for herself, she's okay with how they book the finish for her especially when her opponent defeat her. Take a notice in one of interview how she expressed her upset feeling with calm tune when she realized she can't go to WM as champion and what make it worst,she demoted to Preshow but then she realized this is more team work, the title only part of property, nothing real about it, if audiences are happy or excited to see her performance,then she will fine with it whether she win or lose.

I'm not support or against her to win the single title,but I never or barely see the champion can get proper direction or booking during their reign because they're more focus to build challenger and feed them to champion (if the champion retain when they have a title match),some of past champion only build for certain months or occasions like Austin only look good during WM months and he look terrible when he had long reign in 2001.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Asuka was clearly quite upset with being demoted to the preshow when I see her reaction in the Total Divas video. And she mentioned before that she wanted to go into Mania as a champion in an interview from last year. She dealt with it because she's still a pro, but that doesn't mean she was fine with it.

The idea that Asuka doesn't have pride or ego seems more like fan burnishing of her being a "nice person", when tons of evidence in the past point to her having a healthy ego. Which is not a bad thing at all. Imo, it's GOOD that she has an ego--you don't get anywhere without one and Kana didn't make a name for herself by not promoting her own brand incessantly.

But she's not gonna pull an HBK or Rusev/Sasha because you can have an ego and still be a pro as an employee. And even if she did pull an HBK, she's not at that kind of status in the company that it would work out for her. The chances of someone complaining and ending up like a Rusev/Sasha as a result are far more likely an HBK where he got what he wanted.

And as I said before, even if you think Asuka doesn't care about wins and losses, Asuka still wants to be pushed enough to show her Art, which she DOES care about. If she starts losing too often, she won't have the status to have 15-20 minute matches anymore. You have to be pushed at a certain level for them to let you have that kind of time to work matches.

That's when she'll really get upset, imo.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
It's also part of the japanese culture to remain calm in public but i think she wasn't that calm in private.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
@llj

She only do care with how the crowds can be entertained with her performance, as far I can see, I don't think she won't listen to decision maker, see how she supposedly look geek during her match against Charlotte after the rumble but she doesn't want like that and she went to the long match, she can use I just want have good match, I don't understand with the ref said(since ref is also direct the match about when or how it end) due the language barrier as excuse. Asuka will keep ignore the order and pick how she play it as long she doesn't ruin the finish, perhaps she will get punish or rebuked by management if she keep doing this but she practically don't care about it. Maybe if she know the company start dislike how she keep playing by against the direction from the boss and put her to the worst part,as sandbags to other women, she might be leave when her contract was up this year.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
That her last match with Becky had great reactions shows that she hasn't lost the knack for working a big match that the crowd is into as well.
Tbf, Asuka's reactions post RR have been pretty good from what I've seen. The match against Charlotte had great reactions with people chanting her name and telling Chuck E Cheese to tap. The Natalya match had better reactions than a match involving her usually tends to get and this one... nuff said. I'd dare say that the only important match where the reactions have been lame was the RR 20 one (Becky didn't get as good reactions as she usually gets either). i mean, asuka had the crowd in her pocket at SvS and TLC so it's fair to say that RR20 was the exception, prob. due to the lame "filler feud" build up and the mongo booking during the match.

A move to AEW would bring uncertainty, but uncertainty is CERTAINLY more intriguing than predictability, imo.
also, AEW's division wont get good unless more good (and popular) workers decide to go there. wwe had an awful women's division for the most part at one point too.

But she's not gonna pull an HBK or Rusev/Sasha because you can have an ego and still be a pro as an employee. And even if she did pull an HBK, she's not at that kind of status in the company that it would work out for her. The chances of someone complaining and ending up like a Rusev/Sasha as a result are far more likely an HBK where he got what he wanted.
Chuck E Cheese could certainly pull (and has) an HBK.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
3501 - 3520 of 3540 Posts