Wrestling Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 4066 Posts

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
Nah, Rollins said it himself, RAW is the C show now.
Yet it was SD that got the C show treatment at SvS.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
It's tough judging how good heels are doing these days since crowds are so inconsistent. Daniel Bryan, undoubtedly a popular wrestler heel or face, didn't get big reactions when he was a heel as WWE champ, but you could tell fans were interested in what he was doing all the same. Same with Jericho and Edge. Both were very popular wrestlers with fans and now known as some of the best heels during the last 15 years, but they never got really big ovations when they were heels. The mostly got reactions when they did something especially heelish or cut an especially heelish promo.

With Asuka and Kairi it's tough since they don't promo often. Crowds seem interested in their segments, but they're not wildly supportive of them unless it's for a particularly heelish spot they do (for the most part, faces still get cheered and heels still get boos or mild reactions, with very few exceptions like Fiend and Becky, and Fiend's reactions haven't been as big since he became champion).

I caught Starrcade and mostly Asuka and Kairi's crowd reactions were in line with most heels would be.

Ultimately, though, I think the only thing people need to be concerned with most is how over their heel work is with the Man in Charge. If he likes their heel work, that's really the only thing that matters. If he doesn't, well...we'll see soon enough I guess.

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
Don't think Vince is high on Asuka's heel work though, esp. since crowds tend to favour her when she faces Charlotte, and I'm sure the man would prefer someone who got boos (nevermind that KW getting cheered mainly boils down to them insisting on booking Charlotte so strong)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Don't think Vince is high on Asuka's heel work though, esp. since crowds tend to favour her when she faces Charlotte, and I'm sure the man would prefer someone who got boos (nevermind that KW getting cheered mainly boils down to them insisting on booking Charlotte so strong)
It's hard to say. They've gotten consistent TV time since turning heel. TV time is usually a strong indicator of level of backstage interest in a character, moreso than wins and losses (see Baron Corbin). Meanwhile, on Smackdown, they seem to already be losing interest in Bayley's heel turn despite them turning heel around the same time. Yet Asuka and Kairi's heel run still feels fresher 2 months in, and Bayley already feels stale.

But as Kratos said, just because Asuka is doing fun heel work doesn't mean she's going to win the RAW title. Even though she should be RAW champ right now considering she's getting more TV time and focus than Becky really. (Then again so is Charlotte)

I disagree that Asuka gets cheered more outside of PPVs (Asuka is often much more over on PPV). She gets cheered for THE MIST (which is like the RKO at this point), but overall, Asuka's level of crowd support isn't that strong as a heel. She isn't getting booed a lot (because they still don't want to hate her), but I notice crowds do cheer her opponents when they get their shit in on her now.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Seems WWE is really going out of their way to make it a personal rivarly between Charlotte and Kabuki Warriors, more specially of course Asuka.

When they first had their match at WM34, it was really mostly a friendly competition match. Who was better, The Queen or The Empress. Wasnt really no heat between them

TLC 18 there was a little bit of heat between them but really the story was still Becky vs Charlotte with Asuka thrown in.

Couple weeks before WM35 was that match out of thin air, a one off, and...we all know how that went.

But now it seems Asuka and Charlotte have been building up a rivalry these past few weeks. They keep bringing up the fact that Charlotte broke Asuka's streak and Asuka was fired up in that promo last night. Majority of us couldnt understand what she was saying but she was pumped and ready to bring it to Charlotte now more than ever it seemed.

I wanna say this is Paul Heymans doing cause a couple of weeks before the draft they did say they were very high on Asuka and ever since the draft they've been on tv I think every week

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
I disagree that Asuka gets cheered more outside of PPVs (Asuka is often much more over on PPV).
Who said this though? I just say that generally speaking, she tends to get good reactions during shows where the crowd isn't dead for the most part. Never disagreed with the better reactions at PPVs point. I mean, she was clearly favoured by the crowds during her match with Charlotte last week's RAW. And PPV crowds don't always react to everything, just take the SvS main event as an example of thyis (RAW crowd next day was more lively than the crowd during that match). Hell KW got cheered after rolling up Becky during that tag match.

Btw, this brings up one question: that RAW where she faced natalya, crowd was dead the whole show and all that so... why did Natalya start antagonizing the crowd if she was the face during that match?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Who said this though? I just say that generally speaking, she tends to get good reactions during shows where the crowd isn't dead for the most part. Never disagreed with the better reactions at PPVs point. I mean, she was clearly favoured by the crowds during her match with Charlotte last week's RAW. And PPV crowds don't always react to everything, just take the SvS main event as an example of thyis (RAW crowd next day was more lively than the crowd during that match). Hell KW got cheered after rolling up Becky during that tag match.

Btw, this brings up one question: that RAW where she faced natalya, crowd was dead the whole show and all that so... why did Natalya start antagonizing the crowd if she was the face during that match?
Charlotte got cheered against Asuka too. Maybe not A WHOLE LOT, because Charlotte is a bad babyface, but whenever she hit a big move on Asuka or teased/slapped the figure 8, some fans did noticeably cheer. I don't think Asuka was noticeably more cheered than Charlotte last week other than when she hit the mist on Charlotte, which, as I said before, is like her own RKO (move always gets cheered regardless of alignment).

Regardless of that, I don't think Vince cares how the fans cheer or boo moreso that if they are fitting HIS VISION of what heels should be like. If they are doing the heel work he prefers and are getting cheered, he's fine with it. It's only when people DON'T fit his vision, that's when he's upset.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

t’s been two weeks since I’ve been on Raw and it’s been two months since I have defended this [adjusts the Raw Women’s title draped over her shoulder]. Now, do we think that the powers that were keeping me down at the beginning of all this have just gone away?

I have said the fight that I want and I have said that I will fight them in the parking lot if I can’t get it on a pay-per-view. I am the face of this company but I’m not gonna be the mouthpiece - cause this title deserves more, I deserve more, the people deserve more.

I’ve said the fight that I want. I have one last debt to collect.”

There's also this. This is from Becky. She talks about collecting one last debt and we all know she means Asuka. Problem here is no way Becky is dropping the Raw title till WrestleMania or after so if Asuka gets a match between now and Fastlane ppv I really dont see her winning the belt

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,325 Posts

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
Regardless of that, I don't think Vince cares how the fans cheer or boo moreso that if they are fitting HIS VISION of what heels should be like. If they are doing the heel work he prefers and are getting cheered, he's fine with it. It's only when people DON'T fit his vision, that's when he's upset.

Then he for sure has a very weird vision, cause he keeps pushing Charlotte and Natalya, who do heel stuff despite being presented as faces by commentary and the company tweets.

t’s been two weeks since I’ve been on Raw and it’s been two months since I have defended this [adjusts the Raw Women’s title draped over her shoulder]. Now, do we think that the powers that were keeping me down at the beginning of all this have just gone away?

The reason for having Becky off TV for 2 weeks and then possibly have not defend the title again next PPV is easy: They want her to keep her title till WM at the earliest (probably they are still trying to get Ronda to come back) or possibly MITB (so as to give a megapush to whomever it is that they have planned to give the briefcase), but they are aware that her reign is going to run cold before then if they keep her running through more opponents, so that's why they are giving her these last 2 "off months", so to speak, to keep the reign somewhat fresh till then. Also, that way they got a perfect excuse to give more protagonism to Charlotte without giving her the title ( these SvS and TLC build up RAWs have been extremely Charlotte centric).

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
My theory is that they always were waiting for Becky to cool off (and she has, despite Becky fans claims, she is MUCH colder now than earlier this year) so that they could move Charlotte in as top babyface on the program again. Fuck, I wouldn't even be surprised if they are using Asuka as simply a more "crowd friendly" option to take the title off Becky just so they could get the title onto Charlotte the very next day! At the rate the TV programming is going, I could totally picture that happening, and we get Charlotte v Ronda at Wrestlemania instead. Would the crowd even complain? Maybe some would boo it. But I can't picture the fans going to bat for Becky exactly like they did last year when she was red hot. They would just shrug, sigh and deal with it like they do with everything else.

I think the WWE would be totally fine with Charlotte being the RAW champ at Wrestlemania. Remember, a number of us discussed that they would eventually do Charlotte v Ronda at a Wrestlemania. Maybe it's not 2021 like we predicted. Maybe it's NEXT WRESTLEMANIA.

Also remember Meltzer earlier this year said that the plan for Becky is NOT Ronda for WM36. Now, maybe because it's Shayna instead, but I'm honestly starting to wonder if it's because Becky won't even be in the RAW title picture at all.

I think a TON of people aren't asking the right question. And that's not "Who is Becky facing at Wrestlemania?" but rather "What is Charlotte doing at Wrestlemania?" Because if the last 2 months have shown ANYTHING, it's that they make DAMN SURE Charlotte is always involved in some top women's angle, all the time, at the expense of everyone around her, INCLUDING THE RAW CHAMP.

People are fantasy booking Becky v Shayna/Ronda and Sasha v Bayley...really? I bet 90% Charlotte is in one of the title matches, at the expense of one or more of the above women. If Charlotte doesn't have a singles title match at Wrestlemania, I'd be shocked. People should be VERY suspicious of the current situation right now.

Being shuttled off TV and playing second banana to another storyline is NEVER a good thing for anyone. We should know better than anyone that usually it's not about protecting that person, but more about de-emphasizing them. Even the Survivor Series build was more about Bayley and Shayna than Becky. When was the last time a top guy in the company was EVER de-emphasized or not always involved in something? I don't ever recall Super Cena having nothing to do during his reigns.

I'm still 50/50 on Becky's chances being RAW champ come Wrestlemania. Don't assume she's a lock at all.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The ONLY way I see Asuka winning the Raw belt at WM36 is whoever wins the Royal Rumble picks Bayley's for the SD womens title. That leaves Becky open for opponents.

I know we may not want a triple threat match cause triple threat matchs and Becky dont mix well but id be down for an Asuka vs Becky vs Charlotte for the Raw title at WM36 AND Asuka taps out Charlotte. Thats the ulimate payout for Asuka for the wrong they've done her the past two WMs ago

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
I think a TON of people aren't asking the right question. And that's not "Who is Becky facing at Wrestlemania?" but rather "What is Charlotte doing at Wrestlemania?"

That's indeed the question that I've been asking myself for quite some time. Part of me thinks they may have her face Becky, the other part says they are going to use the tag titles to insert her into the SD title program at the last minute. Cause now that you bring up the "wait till Becky cools off" thing, maybe they are going to play it safe and and have her keep the title till WM so as to make sure her fans are beyond appeased and have no more reasons to complain ever again, thus opening the way for a Ronda vs Charlotte program for WM 37 without crowds hijacking it like last year.

Or maybe they indeed rush it to this very WM because they are paranoid that someone else may get hot next fall or something. But something tells me Ronda vs Charlotte is going to be the WM 37 program.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they are using Asuka as simply a more "crowd friendly" option to take the title off Becky just so they could get the title onto Charlotte the very next day!
They already did that last year.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
They may rush Ronda v Charlotte because there's no guarantee Ronda will be around at WM37. Just because she has failed to get a baby this year doesn't mean she won't try again.

Ever since the draft, I've always felt like they've been moving Charlotte back into prime main event position on RAW. They never do things with Charlotte without a reason, and they have a habit of having people feud with Asuka right before moving them into a big program (or just straight up becoming champion, like Nia did)

Though I suppose it is possible they may want to move her to the SD title picture too, since I'm not entirely convinced they want Sasha v Bayley at Wrestlemania either (Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they do Sasha v Bayley at Royal Rumble instead)

There's also the possibility we discussed that Ronda comes back and any feud she's in at Wrestlemania involves the SD title instead, which entails moving Charlotte or Becky there.

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
Well, Charlotte allegedly went and trademarked her real name, so maybe they are also worried she may be planning to leave them in the near future (not that far fetched an idea, since she's been phoning it to near Amborse levels for almost a year now) and think a WM singles program with Ronda may be the best way to persuade her into re-signing. They have already given her too much and are too close to that 17 record to bury her or let her go, so they are going to want to make sure she stays with them at all costs, and she has all the leverage inthe world.

As for Bayley vs Sasha, again, that Bayley push had a purpose and she already played it at SvS, so they have no more use for her for the time being. Lacey is going to be the next SD champ next month.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Charlotte ain't leaving, that I am sure of. I could also see them doing Becky v Ronda for the SD title and Shayna v Charlotte for RAW too. But then I think "Since when did Charlotte ever get the B opponent?" And I think they often use Asuka to elevate Charlotte, either by jobbing to her or in the past few weeks, making Charlotte look like a better match worker than she really deserves to be considered as one. Isn't it funny that Charlotte hadn't had a truly decent match since she beat Asuka for the SD title, and then suddenly started having "good matches" again when she began facing Asuka again the past few weeks? They know that if Charlotte doesn't have that "big match worker" tag to fall back on, she's basically nothing.

So yeah, if Charlotte is fighting for a title, it's almost gotta be the most high profile match.

That trademarking her real name is funny. I'm sure there is more than one Ashley Fleihr in this world.

I'm kind of surprised the WWE hasn't sent a "cease and desist" letter to the ASUKA in Japan right now, who's been using that name before Kana came to the WWE.

·
No Regrets
417 Posts
We forget one thing: Royal Rumble winner can choose one of the two titles for Wrestlemania. If WWE wants Charlotte in Smackdown title picture, she can win Royal Rumble, any other scenario is pointless for any future Royal Rumble winner and very difficult for lazy writers in WWE, Charlotte could be winner of Royal Rumble and I'm sure she was considered as RR winner but Becky ruined WWE plans.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
We forget one thing: Royal Rumble winner can choose one of the two titles for Wrestlemania. If WWE wants Charlotte in Smackdown title picture, she can win Royal Rumble, any other scenario is pointless for any future Royal Rumble winner.
We never forgot that. In fact that's why we were discussing them maybe moving Charlotte into the Smackdown title picture. If Ronda comes back, beats Bayley or Lacey (or Sasha if she's champion) and Charlotte wins the Rumble, bam we get Charlotte v Ronda for the SD title. Or maybe Becky.

·
NBA
2,332 Posts
Charlotte ain't leaving, that I am sure of.
wwe are still going to be paranoid about that, and Charlotte is aware of that and going to make sure to take advantage of the situation. You know, it's basically another rton situation. It's the downside to giving so much to someone right from the get go, that you give them all of the leverage they want and they aren't actually going to be any more loyal for it.

But then I think "Since when did Charlotte ever get the B opponent?"
no matter the treatment it may have gotten by the fanbase and crowds, the Asuka vs Charlotte match was placed belowe Alexa vs Nia on the card and then had the post match segment cut short very abruptly by that silly Cena vs Taker shit, so it was indeed the B match.

We forget one thing: Royal Rumble winner can choose one of the two titles for Wrestlemania. If WWE wants Charlotte in Smackdown title picture
whatllj said. Still, I think they may prefer to just stick the tag titles on Flair for the time being, since they could be used to serve that same jump between brands function, and save the rumble thing for later just in case. After all, since when has the whole brand stuff been an obstacle for them when it comes to Charlotte anyway?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
no matter the treatment it may have gotten by the fanbase and crowds, the Asuka vs Charlotte match was placed belowe Alexa vs Nia on the card and then had the post match segment cut short very abruptly by that silly Cena vs Taker shit, so it was indeed the B match.
At the time the Smackdown brand was considered inferior to RAW. But if you look at the match time both matches got, Asuka v Charlotte was a longer match than Nia v Alexa. And they had built up Asuka as undefeated, having beaten both Nia and Alexa clean earlier that year before choosing Charlotte, so Asuka was still clearly the superior opponent regardless of match placement. They specifically called Asuka up with her streak intact to feed to Charlotte, so they had this planned out for Charlotte months back.

2441 - 2460 of 4066 Posts