Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The European Space Agency’s Herschel space telescope has discovered that previously unseen distant galaxies are responsible for a cosmic fog of infrared radiation. The galaxies are some of the faintest and furthest objects seen by Herschel, and open a new window on the birth of stars in the early Universe. Astronomers estimate that their are billions and billions of galaxies in the observable universe (as well as some seven trillion dwarf galaxies) .
Very interesting stuff here! Using HAWK-1 scientists were also able to see extremely faint galaxies that date back to nearly the beginning of the universe. This is the stuff that should be front page news.​

Source: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...-of-distant-galaxies-in-universe-unseen-.html

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Ahh astronomy. Thing that reminds us how insignificant we are in the big picture of things.

We just can't grasp the reality of how many Galaxies (and we're not even mentioning planets here) there are.

This earth could go tomorrow and it wouldn't change one single thing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh astronomy. Thing that reminds us how insignificant we are in the big picture of things.

We just can't grasp the reality of how many Galaxies (and we're not even mentioning planets here) there are.

This earth could go tomorrow and it wouldn't change one single thing.

So true. This is why when people say there is no possibility of extra-terrestrials, I am still in utter disbelief. We still haven't discovered many species on our own planet, how could we be in line to discover species on other planets?

Pale Blue Dot - Earth from Voyager Probe

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
So true. This is why when people say there is no possibility of extra-terrestrials, I am still in utter disbelief. We still haven't discovered many species on our own planet, how could we be in line to discover species on other planets?

Well simple numbers are not on those people side. It's that simple.

Also there is a difference between theories of Aliens out there somewhere(in the universe) and aliens who might have come here to earth and made secret pacts with our own governments(also pretty funny how they would only do deals mostly with U.S government) and them kidnapping people and installing anal probes into peoples asses.

2 different kinds of theories. For the first one all you need to know is basic maths to understand the plausibility of that theory for the second one it's up to each to decide what they believe in.

IMO I don't have any problems either way. Whatever really floats their boats but as for me I rather stick to history, corruption, greed, cover ups ect theories.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Holy fuck. :lol

·
Premium Member
17,322 Posts
That's all it takes to be an astronomer? Predicting that we haven't seen 90% of what your job is to find? Shit I can do that.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Thinking about this makes me sorta depressed. Just puts into perspective how small and meaningless we really are.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well simple numbers are not on those people side. It's that simple.

Also there is a difference between theories of Aliens out there somewhere(in the universe) and aliens who might have come here to earth and made secret pacts with our own governments(also pretty funny how they would only do deals mostly with U.S government) and them kidnapping people and installing anal probes into peoples asses.

2 different kinds of theories. For the first one all you need to know is basic maths to understand the plausibility of that theory for the second one it's up to each to decide what they believe in.

IMO I don't have any problems either way. Whatever really floats their boats but as for me I rather stick to history, corruption, greed, cover ups ect theories.

The math for the possibility of extraterrestrial worlds in the universe​

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

Carl Sagan on The Drake Equation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztl8CG3Sys

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neptune from Voyager II

Its amazing that we actually have photos of planets on the outer limits of our solar system, nearing the ISM.​

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I the only one who thinks it's fucking awesome, I fucking wanna see some aliens! :D
You're definitely not the only one! I still think its absurd that articles and stories like this are not front page, or sprawled across CNN or other news stations.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another great story that everyone should know about...

Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer and Hubble space telescopes have discovered that one of the most distant galaxies known is churning out stars at a shockingly high rate. The blob-shaped galaxy, called GN-108036, is the brightest galaxy found to date at such great distances.

The red dot with the arrow pointing to it is the galaxy GN-108036. Those disc and spiral shaped objects littering the image are entire GALAXIES by the way.

The discovery is surprising because previous surveys had not found galaxies this bright so early in the history of the universe," said Mark Dickinson of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory in Tucson, Ariz.
GN-108036 lies near the very beginning of time itself, a mere 750 million years after our universe was created 13.7 billion years ago in an explosive "Big Bang." Its light has taken 12.9 billion years to reach us, so we are seeing it as it existed in the very distant past.

Slightly zoomed out view of GN-108036

Astronomers refer to the object's distance by a number called its "redshift," which relates to how much its light has stretched to longer, redder wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe. Objects with larger redshifts are farther away and are seen further back in time. GN-108036 has a redshift of 7.2. Only a handful of galaxies have confirmed redshifts greater than 7, and only two of these have been reported to be more distant than GN-108036.

Zoomed out view of the area containing GN-108036

Source: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/spitzer/news/spitzer20111221.html

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something else worth nothing...

The sun may be entering a period of reduced activity that could result in lower temperatures on Earth, according to Japanese researchers.

Officials of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the Riken research foundation said on April 19 that the activity of sunspots appeared to resemble a 70-year period in the 17th century in which London’s Thames froze over and cherry blossoms bloomed later than usual in Kyoto.

In that era, known as the Maunder Minimum, temperatures are estimated to have been about 2.5 degrees lower than in the second half of the 20th century.

The Japanese study found that the trend of current sunspot activity is similar to records from that period.

The researchers also found signs of unusual magnetic changes in the sun. Normally, the sun’s magnetic field flips about once every 11 years. In 2001, the sun’s magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere, flipped to the south.

While scientists had predicted that the next flip would begin from May 2013, the solar observation satellite Hinode found that the north pole of the sun had started flipping about a year earlier than expected. There was no noticeable change in the south pole.

If that trend continues, the north pole could complete its flip in May 2012 but create a four-pole magnetic structure in the sun, with two new poles created in the vicinity of the equator of our closest star.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts