Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched Benoit vs. the Rock from Fully Loaded, 2000.

Benoit's sells REALLY impressed me (and I've seen all this already, several times lol). It got me thinking-- I've never been a huge Benoit mark and, to be honest, all you fags who blew his "legacy" after he died (including circular tongue-action, and cum-expectancy), really annoy me with your post-death Benoit worship. Eddie too. Yes, said it-- fuck off.

What I'm asking-- if you're really a fan/appreciator of Benoit's in-ring work, what are your favorite 5 Benoit matches. I'm interested in putting a playlist together and doing a Benoit night to really take in how great was.

Last note: I am not a Benoit mark, kind of hate him BECAUSE of his marks, feel his last choice(s) were/are awful, horrible and shocking. Despair that children died. Just wanna talk about his wrestling which, no matter what happened at the end, exists and is historically important, even if he isn't 'currently' worth mentioning (because of his heinous acts).

So let's talk in-ring, in-prime, Benoit.

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
162 Posts
chris benoit vs chris jericho ladder match from royal rumble 2001 and of course the mania 20 main event with him triple h and hbk for the WHC are two of my favorite matches of his. also any of the matches he and kurt angle had from 2001 cant remember which ppvs but i know they had a great 2 out of 3 falls match and an iron man as well i believe.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Can't speak to his whole catalog, but I suggest Benoit vs. Orton No Holds Barred Match on Smackdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMR5ZgdLLiA

I gave it **** 3/4. Other people in the Orton thread said it was a MOTYC in 2006.

I would definitely suggest watching that one.

Here's my review of it:
I'd have the NHB match with Benoit at number one. Possibly the GOAT SD match too.
I'd put the No DQ Smackdown match vs. Benoit above all their other matches. It was my SD MOTY for 2006.
I'm bored so I figured I'd weigh in with my 13 favorite Orton matches. Keep in mind I haven't seen much post-2009. In no real order after #4....

5. vs. Benoit (Smackdown 1/27/06)- Orton's smirk after blocking Benoit's diving headbutt attempt with a weapon might be the single greatest thing he's ever done.
This is probly my last post in here for a while as I seen the most of the major matches but.......

Chris Benoit/Randy Orton 1/27/06 NHB ( #8 on the list) is excellent, and I had to go watch 3 more benoit matches after it. This is probably Randy"s peak as a in-ring performer (2006) just everything about this one great. A good mixture of mat-wrestling-brawling and use of weapons. All flowed great. I have to check out the Rey match again but this or that is comfortably MOTY of 2006
Ok, so...

8. Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit (No Holds Barred) – Smackdown, 27 January 2006
Yeah, this was amazing. What I loved is that they didn't use weapons or brawling as crutch. Like 'skins said, it was a perfect mixture. Had a ton of wrestling, some nice scrappy moments, and some smart use of weaponry. I LOVED Orton literally just ripping the mat up. I've never seen that before. Usually people just flip the mat over. His unique attention to detailing is one of the things I absolutely love about him. He is so underrated, and I mean that.

You knew I was gonna love this because he had that intense borderline psycho thing going on at times, but he also had this mischievousness going on (ByTor gave an example), which was great. Such an interesting combo.

I loved when Benoit started getting maniacal about the chopping when they were behind the table, and then Orton responded with doing the eye scratching in a more maniacal way than normal.

Loved Orton's smirk after he blocked the suplexes and hightailed it out of there in the beginning. :lol

Just loved this. The glorious ending cements this as **** 3/4.

Orton is so versatile in the things that he can do and what he's capable of. I don't care what anyone says. He was one of the best at expressing different character styles, even within one match. Obviously his character is more singularly focused now, and that's a conscious choice, but he's capable of quite a lot. He really has a ton of freakin' talent.

And kudos to Benoit as well. His intensity was a huge part of making this great. These two just worked so well together.

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/892873-my-top-100-randy-orton-matches-48.html#post25018865

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Eh he was ok.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
pretty much:

benoit vs. malenko
benoit vs. eddie
benoit vs. jericho
benoit vs. booker t
benoit vs. kurt angle

just to name a few off the top of my head

also benoit vs regal was awesome~!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Triple H, Sean, and Benoit triple threat

Benoit, Orton for the title, one of the best matches either has ever had

Honestly, Before Benoit committed those terrible acts he was one of the top stars in the history of the sport. Hence why he was so successful in the WWE. To be honest more marks turned on him than glorified him after. Personally I think he is one of the best in ring performers ever, however his actions that day erase that when talking about things like HOFs. Even if his brain was mush, he killed 2 people.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Benoit (Wild Pegasus) vs Great Sauske Super J Cup 1994
Benoit vs Raven Souled Out 1997
Benoit vs Angle Royal Rumble 2003
Benoit vs Angle Raw 2001 cage match
Benoit vs Shinjiro Ontani (4/5/1996)

If we go to 10
Benoit vs HHH vs HBK WMXX & Backlash 2004
Benoit vs Jericho Royal Rumble 2001
Benoit vs Bret Hart - Owen Hart tribute 1999
Wild Pegasus (Benoit) vs Jushin Liger 1999 NJPW/WCW PPV

·
Registered
850 Posts
Last note: I am not a Benoit mark, kind of hate him BECAUSE of his marks, feel his last choice(s) were/are awful, horrible and shocking. Despair that children died

(because of his heinous acts).
It's people like you that damage a wrestlers legacy.

Tests were conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, and results showed that "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient." He was reported to have had an advanced form of dementia, similar to the brains of four retired NFL players who had suffered multiple concussions, sank into depression, and harmed themselves or others. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems. Benoit's father suggests that brain damage may have been the leading cause of the crime
I do NOT blame Benoit for what happened, and I find it inhuman and sickening that people (even WWE) will shit all over his legacy for a terrible thing that happened that was out of his control. When you're 85 with Alzheimer's I'm going to test your decision making skills.

You make me sick.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts

I do NOT blame Benoit for what happened, and I find it inhuman and sickening that people (even WWE) will shit all over his legacy for a terrible thing that happened that was out of his control. When you're 85 with Alzheimer's I'm going to test your decision making skills.

You make me sick.
Don't start.

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pretty much:

benoit vs. malenko
benoit vs. eddie
benoit vs. jericho
benoit vs. malenko
benoit vs. booker t
benoit vs. kurt angle

gimme specific matches, bud! i know he had great matches, i want examples, not just feuds! (but thank you)

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I might even go the full ***** on Bret/Pegasus 1999. Fantastic match. I have some friends who were at that show in KC.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
pretty much:

benoit vs. malenko
benoit vs. eddie
benoit vs. jericho
benoit vs. malenko
benoit vs. booker t
benoit vs. kurt angle

Watch his match with Eddie from Nitro in 1995. The powerbomb he did looked more devastating than ANYTHING ANYONE has ever done. I'd argue he had the BEST powerbomb in the entire industry.
said powerbomb

vs Malenko at Hog Wild 1996
vs Booker T in the original Best of 7 in WCW
with Jericho vs HHH & Stone Cold Steve Austin
With Jericho vs Hardys vs Dudleys vs E&C TLC Smackdown 2001
vs Jericho Raw Japan 2005
vs Jeff Jarret Mayhem 1999
vs DDP vs Raven Uncensored 1998

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You make me sick.

Fuck you. Piece of shit. I defend Benoit. I just said, I-Can't-Fucking-Read-Christ-Cunt, that Benoit gets judged/remembered more for that shit than his wrestling. I DON'T CARE, I just wanna talk about his wrestling. THAT'S what I said. So don't tell me I disrespect any dead man, you piece of shit.

What he did, dumbass, was horrible. Innocent's died, and that's awful. Whether he was all there or not doesn't change that that was awful. As for Benoit, I DO think he had SOME choice in it. I don't wanna get into it-- my WHOLE POINT was to JUST talk about his wrestling.

I don't shit on his legacy, I just think it was an awful thing that happened. Don't put words in my mouth, twat. You're the one who kept going, which makes you the one who should make folks sick. I just wanted to get the 'obvious' out of the way and focus on his wrestling. UGH. Why do you have to be ALL AGAINST him, or ALL FOR him... is there no middle ground?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Aaaand the flaming begins.

Check out his No Holds Barred and SummerSlam 2004 match with Orton, just about anything with Eddie, his ladder match against Jericho, his tag match with Jericho against the Two-Man Power Trip, or his work with Angle (if you're into those kinds of matches).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you really want to see him at his best, watch ANY of his matches from NJPW, ECW, or WCW plus what I mentioned before. I could go on for hours. Shinjiro Ontani & Jushin Liger were probably his best opponents in Japan. I would love to have seen him go one on one with Keiji Mutoh, but Mutoh was in the heavyweight division and benoit was a junior.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.