Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asuka>Io>Kairi and to a lesser extent Xia Li>Mia Yim

Im a fan of all these ladies. Some I like a little less like Xia and Mia but im still a fan nonetheless.

Before I go any further I still somewhat a fan of Riho shes alright, but im a little baffled how she suddenly became a fan favorite and the darling of AEW.

She is no joke legit 90 pounds. She has virtually no upper body strength so she has to rely on strikes,strikes,annnddd more strikes. Problem there is her strikes look weak af and there's only so many times you can spam the double foot stomp.

I dont see the same charisma as her fellow asians have. She doesnt scream break out star to me. When I first saw Asuka instantly caught my attention. Same for Kairi and Io. Riho caught my attention but thats because of the pedal I have put these female asian wrestlers on but im not completely sold on the Riho train.

Also im convinced if Kenny Omega wasn't booking the womens divison in AEW not only would Riho not be AEW womens champion, she wouldn't even be in the inaugural womens chamipion match. If Chris Jericho, Cody, or Tony Khan were booking it im pretty sure Britt Baker or Bea Presley would be womens champion right now not Riho.

I think Tony Schiavone said it best why the crowd is behind her. When she cames her way down thr ramp her smile is infectious, she has a bubbly warm personality, waves to the crowd and points to them signaling out that one fan. She makes fans feel good. Then when she's in the ring despite her size she doesn't give up and keeps on fighting back. I think this is why the fans are so behind her.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,454 Posts
I don't think she's good at all, I don't understand the appeal but she is undeniably over and I guess that's the only thing that matters.

(It really makes me wonder how much fans care about in-ring ability when it comes to women when Riho and Becky Lynch are huge stars)

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I don't think she's good at all, I don't understand the appeal but she is undeniably over and I guess that's the only thing that matters.

(It really makes me wonder how much fans care about in-ring ability when it comes to women when Riho and Becky Lynch are huge stars)
In term of in-ring Riho is miles ahead of Becky.

Her technique is just amazing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
She doesn't rely on strikes.

She rely on her speed and techniques, that's why she wins most of the times with a roll-up because she doesn't have the strenght to do power moves.
Little character quirks like that are probably why she is over with the crowd and why Kenny Omega see's anything in her

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,704 Posts
Asuka>Io>Kairi and to a lesser extent Xia Li>Mia Yim

Im a fan of all these ladies. Some I like a little less like Xia and Mia but im still a fan nonetheless.

Before I go any further I still somewhat a fan of Riho shes alright, but im a little baffled how she suddenly became a fan favorite and the darling of AEW.

She is no joke legit 90 pounds. She has virtually no upper body strength so she has to rely on strikes,strikes,annnddd more strikes. Problem there is her strikes look weak af and there's only so many times you can spam the double foot stomp.

I dont see the same charisma as her fellow asians have. She doesnt scream break out star to me. When I first saw Asuka instantly caught my attention. Same for Kairi and Io. Riho caught my attention but thats because of the pedal I have put these female asian wrestlers on but im not completely sold on the Riho train.

Also im convinced if Kenny Omega wasn't booking the womens divison in AEW not only would Riho not be AEW womens champion, she wouldn't even be in the inaugural womens chamipion match. If Chris Jericho, Cody, or Tony Khan were booking it im pretty sure Britt Baker or Bea Presley would be womens champion right now not Riho.

I think Tony Schiavone said it best why the crowd is behind her. When she cames her way down thr ramp her smile is infectious, she has a bubbly warm personality, waves to the crowd and points to them signaling out that one fan. She makes fans feel good. Then when she's in the ring despite her size she doesn't give up and keeps on fighting back. I think this is why the fans are so behind her.
This is exactly what it is. She's loved for these reasons. I dont think it has anything to do with her in ring work or anything else other than her charm.

·
NBA
2,320 Posts
As a huge :asuka I gotta say I :asuka

Atte: :asuka

P.S: :asuka

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Watching Riho wrestle is like watching a little non pro soccer team against a big pro team.

People will always cheers for the little team.

For Riho it's the same.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
In term of in-ring Riho is miles ahead of Becky.

Her technique is just amazing.
Becky isn't that great of a in ring worker anyway, she's a great character and promo but she isn't a Asuka or Io even a Sasha in the ring imo. Not popular to say on here as it's Becky land lol.

Riho won't be everyone's cup of tea, is she the best Joshi around. No, wouldn't be in my top 10 imo, Shida is a better all round talent imo. I think Yuka is a better version of Riho, she's a fantastic in ring wrestler.

But Riho is a good wrestler, and has something about her that makes fan's go crazy for her. We forget she's only 22 as well, so she could get better with age. She wouldn't be my choice of the top face of AEW women's division, she be a Rey/Hardy/Bryan type of babyface, gets beat down for most of her feuds but wins out in the end and has the odd run with the title. She's a great 2nd top babyface but she wouldn't be the very top one for me.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
The same for Shida
The same as any Joshi that comes to AEW to be fair. Omega is the guy bringing those talents and I wouldn't be surprised if he bought in Bea and Jamie either. But all of the talents he bought in so far are the best women AEW have, so he's doing something right.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Some seriously ignorant and butt hurt replies we have on this thread.

Riho's main appeal is that she tells a good story in the ring in a way that connects with the audience. I became a fan of hers when I watched that Shida match. Story telling is something that eludes most wrestlers in the WWE especially that idiot Rollins, Charlotte, Triple HGH, and Lynch. She continues to be over and is building her fan base because fans consciously or subconsciously are entertained by her matches and the story she conveys in them.

Bottom line; she's over the right way i,e she's a face and she gets cheered not like Rollins or Cena or Triple HGH or Reigns or Charlotte where they get booed when they are faces. She is something that these people aren't, she helps AEW build their audience and she will continue to do so.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Riho isn't out there beating Asuka-level talent. Until the last couple weeks, the other womens wrestlers in AEW were Diva-caliber talents. Britt Baker's matches are about as good as a Candice Michelle match or something..

Riho sort of reminds me of AJ Lee, if AJ Lee couldn't speak English

·
IRAN #1
2,304 Posts
Smaller women get super over, maybe they like the underdog. Riho definitely feels like that, She kinda reminds me of AJ Lee.. just Asian.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
AJ Lee? What? lol guys. AJ Lee was great cause of her mic skills, charisma, star power....and at a weak time, I guess in-ring talent. I don't see of those attributes to Riho (other than her in-ring).

·
Registered
228 Posts

Riho Not huge star
Hardcode They don't make huge star

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
AJ Lee? What? lol guys. AJ Lee was great cause of her mic skills, charisma, star power....and at a weak time, I guess in-ring talent. I don't see of those attributes to Riho (other than her in-ring).
I nearly fell off my chair reading this.

AJ Lee had the midas touch of shit. She sucked the lift out of anything she was involved in.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts