Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly interesting, thought it may be good to share

"Before we go any further, I'd just like to say that I'm not getting any of this information from someone like Meltzer or anyone else, this is simply my own perception (with a tiny bit of hope thrown in) about what I have seen regarding the WWE.

It has been almost five years since the untimely death of Chris Benoit and his family. That's five years since we've heard his name being mentioned by Vince, JR, Jerry Lawler, Michael Cole, Hunter and any other prominent face in the WWE.

We all know why, as much as we might disagree. A world class athlete, almost totally and undeniably one of the greatest technical performers of all time, perhaps even the greatest, seemingly wiped out of the history books in the blink of an eye. Until now.

In an effort to try and gear everyone up for WrestleMania as much as possible, the WWE, in conjunction with Walmart was and still is, displaying a large amount of WWE DVDs, such as: Brock Lesnar: Here Comes the Pain, WM 19, Bash at the Beach 2009, HHH: The King Of Kings and WrestleMania XX.

Of all the DVDs that WWE would sell at the "family friendly" Walmart, why would they choose to include WrestleMania XX? Yes, they've sold the Satan's Prison DVD before, which does indeed have Chris Benoit in it, but essentially everything said about Benoit is taken out and he's really not prominently featured, unlike WM XX.

Again, why sell WM XX, which showcases the single greatest achievement in Chris Benoit's career, unless they are finally getting ready to slowly incorporate some of Benoit's performances into their programming?

To support my belief, a small quip by Michael Cole before the Royal Rumble referenced Chris Benoit as being one of only two men to win the Rumble from the No. 1 spot, the other one being of course "The Showstopper" Shawn Michaels.

While neither men were actually referred to by name, it still wasn't something that would go totally unnoticed by a knowledgeable wrestling fan. Inducting the Four Horsemen may also be another step towards a Chris Benoit reference, without actually having to refer to him.

Inducting the Four Horsemen is the coward's way out of giving Chris the spot he deserves, but as much as I dislike Chris being ignored, I totally understand why it was done.

Do I think that the WWE is truly moving towards incorporating Chris Benoit back into their product? No. I think that until Vinny passes on, and more likely longer, and most likely forever, Benoit will never be looked at in a positive, or even any light whatsoever by anyone in the WWE, at least in public, or even be shown on a WWE program.

Until those days pass, we can just spend the time watching him perform like no other could, via YouTube, and perhaps some more DVDs from Walmart. "

http://...............com/articles/1181860-wwe-is-vince-changing-his-mind-about-chris-benoit

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Keep on dreaming. The WWE can hardly deny the existence of WM20 regardless of the Benoit factor, and the four horsemen was very clearly based around the original group.

·
Blaze is Elite
2,874 Posts
Keep on dreaming. The WWE can hardly deny the existence of WM20 regardless of the Benoit factor, and the four horsemen was very clearly based around the original group.
Not really, it still has nothing to do with Chris in the Horsemen they put in but NO it wasn't the original group that put in either. Ole Anderson was in the original and wasn't put in to the group, the one they put in was the 3rd group they had.

But no Chris won't ever be mentioned ever again, or at least in our life time.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,440 Posts
I think that writer has too much time on his hands, and he's thinking about something that isn't even there.

You wouldn't know that WWE has begun making subtle references to Benoit by the looks of their website or anything they publish. You know those WWE Magazine specials they do every year when Mania season rolls around, where they list every Mania with the results and photos and all that? They're severely edited to not even include Benoit's name. Obviously, you have to understand why they wouldn't show any photos of him, but I think going out of their way to delete some small text on the sidebar of a page is ridiculous. By doing that, according to WWE's revisionist history, the main event of WM 20 was Taker vs Kane.

I think the writer was such a Benoit fan that he WANTS there to be some company-approved plan to slowly make references to Benoit having existed. I just don't see it happening.

·
Banned
882 Posts
I've always said they will soften on Benoit one day and it will happen. Times change and if Vince doesn't, Triple H probably will acknowledge his existence on the show again.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I've noticed that too. They will not show him bluntly on a TV screen but the censorship is being toned down with the times.

I think when HHH takes charge, though, he will change things. He has used the Crossface and publicly said that he still respects Chris and he considers him his friend.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've noticed that too. They will not show him bluntly on a TV screen but the censorship is being toned down with the times.

I think when HHH takes charge, though, he will change things. He has used the Crossface and publicly said that he still respects Chris and he considers him his friend.
When did he say that? That sounds pretty promising for the future to come.

Also imo, you can't deny they are trying to make D Bryan a Chris Benoit lite. Emphasis on the technical wrestler side, diving headbutt, version of the crossface

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
I was listening to the observer shows from that weekend.

Sounded like a class act.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah it's doubtful that McMahon will ever change his opinion on Benoit. Benoit is too infamous of a figure for WWE to ever really talk about him again.

Benoit has went beyond a mere wrestling tragedy, to become an indictment on the industry.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
I hope WWE keeps ignoring Benoits existence.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
There's no problem with WWE including him on their dvds and stuff. Maybe just dont include him on a dvd cover or anything like that.

·
21-0
1,881 Posts
I dont give a fuck. If I want to watch a Benoit match, then I will just pop in a dvd. I dont care if they never mention him at all. I still remember how great he was in the ring, and I still remember that he killed his family and himself.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
When did he say that? That sounds pretty promising for the future to come.
I haven't seen or heard any interview regarding that but somebody else pointed it out in another forum. HHH said before WM25 in a radio interview that he still stands by his comments on Chris Benoit in the tribute show aired the night after his death. And elsewhere, I heard that he did an interview before he came back from his 2007 injury around SummerSlam time, again saying that he respects Benoit. It's pretty clear as he was the first to use a Crossface after Benoit was gone. Then Shawn Michaels did the same and Cena has used that move plenty of times since 2009. Most of the wrestlers have actually spoken in a positive tone on Benoit. Off the top of my head, I can think of Batista, Orton, HHH, Jericho (to an extent), MVP and very few have outright bashed him.

Most of them are just shocked and don't know what to think. Cena, The Rock, CM Punk have all said such things when asked about it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't seen or heard any interview regarding that but somebody else pointed it out in another forum. HHH said before WM25 in a radio interview that he still stands by his comments on Chris Benoit in the tribute show aired the night after his death. And elsewhere, I heard that he did an interview before he came back from his 2007 injury around SummerSlam time, again saying that he respects Benoit. It's pretty clear as he was the first to use a Crossface after Benoit was gone. Then Shawn Michaels did the same and Cena has used that move plenty of times since 2009. Most of the wrestlers have actually spoken in a positive tone on Benoit. Off the top of my head, I can think of Batista, Orton, HHH, Jericho (to an extent), MVP and very few have outright bashed him.

Most of them are just shocked and don't know what to think. Cena, The Rock, CM Punk have all said such things when asked about it.
Thanks for that. I think the majority of the guys realise and understand Benoit must have had serious issues, especially with the finds of his diary and brain damage. Of course in terms of business, WWE have to erase him. WWE have gone over the top to an extent however. One weekend cant erase a lifetime of excellence and by all accounts, good, honest character

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I dont think they will ever go back to promoting Benoit I think there will be times they will show him on screen but will never acknowledge him

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
yeah he'd write letters to eddie after he'd died so he wasn't right.

Sean Morley buried the shit outta him in a shoot interview tho.

·
Starving for poutine
7,260 Posts
I wonder what the WWE would've done if Benoit's murder-suicide was revealed before the Raw special. Would've they still ignore him and move on like nothing happened?

·
Banned
159 Posts
yeah he'd write letters to eddie after he'd died so he wasn't right
I'm not sure that's just him not being right, some people grieve in different ways and maybe that was his way of grieving for Eddie. I guess it would really just depend on what was written weather it was just ramblings of a mentally unstable person or just grief from losing a friend, unless he was actually expecting a response.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.