Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck between crossroads :)cody2) now. I'm in that point of life to choose between what my parents want for me and what I like.

I like art stuff. They believe by me going into the path of medical or engineering field I would get more money and job security. I have a true passion in art but I'm not sure in which field of it I'm more interested. I'm interested in multimedia, design, decorate etc.

Any of you posters here experience in the industries, please share your experiences and if possible how much you were getting paid because this would help me a lot in the future. Also anyone studying the subjects and also for the medical field, share your experiences, stories and salaries.

SHARE!

·
Banned
98 Posts
My girlfriend does Law at University. She told me that on her first day the head of the course gave a speech to everyone saying 'Law is the second hardest thing you can do at University (behind Pharmacy). If you want to do something easy go to Burger King and ask all the Art and Media students how they are doing'

·
Banned
13,409 Posts
My girlfriend does Law at University. She told me that on her first day the head of the course gave a speech to everyone saying 'Law is the second hardest thing you can do at University (behind Pharmacy). If you want to do something easy go to Burger King and ask all the Art and Media students how they are doing'
I was expecting someone to say that, but first post? Damn :ti

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I study industrial engineering and it´s tough for people who like it, so imagine for someone who doesn't. If you don't like something, don't study it. If you like both, then I´d tell you to choose where you think you might have a better future, which is probably engineering, but as I said only if you at least like it.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
I'm in that point of life to choose between what my parents want for me and what I like.
Mate fuck what your parents want you to do. Unless you live in a third world country, there's no reason to do what they want you to. Just do your own thing. What are they going to do? Murder you for not following family tradition?

:kobe

If you don't want to do something - don't do it. If you do - do it.

And honestly if you can't decide, don't ask other people. Do your own research, do it all yourself and make your own grown-up decision. Asking other people what YOU should do in life is stupid, and so is someone else telling you what you have to/should do.

Pay shouldn't be one of the top factors. It should be right after "is this what you really want to do?", "are you sure?" and "are you going to enjoy doing this?"

·
Super Moderator
25,840 Posts

Damn, that's cold. :lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Doing my Masters of Engineering (mechanical). I can safely say even for people that love engineering, it is tough to get through, lot of time commitment especially towards the end. It's real life applications are cool but if you don't like it I imagine it would be quite hellacious to get through. And from seeing my friends in various other courses, if you don't like what you are doing, your chances of failing and hence wasting your time increases dramatically. They say the salary is good post uni, I think you get paid out of uni about 50k a year and that goes up with experience, but again don't go into it just for the money. If your parents are insistent you can always try a semester or two and then transfer if you aren't enjoying it.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
youre doing a master in mechanical scorpio? i just finished my dynamics exam today

thinking of going into grad school when im done

so apparently medicine and engineering dont exist now

lol pharmacy. lol law

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Yeah, I wanted to do an art course myself, but it's probably not a good idea unless you're really good and dedicated, because that market is looking for people who can produce quality shit on a consistent basis. Or if you plan to organize your own biz.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I know a friend and many others who suffer from the same conundrum, if you've got a chance to get into Medical or Engineering just take it, understandably you have a great affinity towards your Art but sadly like what MyWord said, it just isn't worth as much as the others. I worked at McDonald's part-time a year ago and many of the Managers there were Art or Media graduates, it's sad but true. Obviously, those two other fields are very challenging but for the reasons you already mentioned they yield great rewards, having said that, you could revisit your Art at a latter stage in your life.

Either way, It's up to you. Whichever decision you make, you must make it work, and you probably will because you're obviously very capable.

·
DreamWeapon
15,249 Posts
OP, follow your passion (srs).

-Engineering is a very rigorous degree (4-5 years)
-Medical school is an elite degree (~7 years)

If you aren't passionate about these degrees, you will find them extremely tedious and difficult. Also, you have to really decide how badly you want to dedicate yourself to what you are interested to stand out from the rest. I've seen too many people fall into jobs they hate or find university to be a miserable experience just because they decided to study and get a degree in a field they had no interest in.

Also keep in mind that there is always the option to change paths i.e. you can do your undergraduate degree in arts and then go to med school after.

I kind of did the same thing myself, I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry, a masters in biomedical sciences and now I'm going to do my masters in business. Gonna keep on GOATING until I make my millions.

Whatever you do bro, just make sure you GOAT at it.

All the best.

Reactions: DA

·
NOTORIOUS
6,837 Posts
By art, I thought you meant music, acting, etc., lol.

Don't do what your parents want you to do if you don't like it. It's your life in the end of it. Do what you enjoy and make the most of it. Look at what you want out of life and your career and work towards it. If you don't truly enjoy engineering or something as a doctor, don't go for it. It's going to be a pain in the ass and A LOT of work you're probably not going to be motivated to do.

Try a few things out. One of my high school teachers (GOAT teacher) said you're likely to switch your path in college/university at least once. It's what most students do nowadays.

Just do what you really have a passion for.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
OP, follow your passion (srs).

-Engineering is a very rigorous degree (4-5 years)
-Medical school is an elite degree (~7 years)

If you aren't passionate about these degrees, you will find them extremely tedious and difficult. Also, you have to really decide how badly you want to dedicate yourself to what you are interested to stand out from the rest. I've seen too many people fall into jobs they hate or find university to be a miserable experience just because they decided to study and get a degree in a field they had no interest in.

Also keep in mind that there is always the option to change paths i.e. you can do your undergraduate degree in arts and then go to med school after.

I kind of did the same thing myself, I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry, a masters in biomedical sciences and now I'm going to do my masters in business. Gonna keep on GOATING until I make my millions.

Whatever you do bro, just make sure you GOAT at it.

All the best.
so apparently egame is a genius

:banderas

·
L U S H
3,345 Posts
I'm starting my Bachelor in Architecture next year, It's kind of a combination of Art and Engineering I suppose. It also potentially gives me flexibility to reach out into any other design field.

I say you should go with something you'll be 100% happy about.

4,547 Posts
I was accepted into both science and fine arts. I chose arts, theatre in fact, and it seemed like an easy choice at the time because I was young and naïve and thought I was talented enough to not have to worry about unemployment. You know what – it doesn’t really work like that. Say hello to dinner theatre, where most of my equally talented classmates wound up.

In second year, I realized I missed science and decided to combine the two and double major. If you know anything about university, then you know fine arts (with its endless hours in art studios, music practice rooms, design shops and acting stages) and science (3 hour labs for almost every course) are time fillers. I did an overload in order to fit everything in. Sleep was not going to happen. I also went to school year round, as in fall, winter, spring and (part-time)summer session. I really don’t recommend this route unless you’re tireless and have a constant source of income.

What I ended up with – after also attending two design colleges along the way (one simultaneous with university) since my undergrad degrees (I split them in half, eventually) are pretty useless on their own – was a combination of art and science, multimedia and graphic design with database admin and decent programming skills on the side. I could have gone on to study anything - like medicine (I was accepted to medical school) - but I liked this so much better since I got to be creative from both an artistic perspective as well as with code. I made excellent money, right out of school (though be advised that the average starting salary is mid range) and even won a professional award. Then I quit because I was young and naïve and thought I was talented enough to not have to worry about unemployment. You know what – it doesn’t really work like that.

Since late spring, I’m a night shelf stocker/store cleaner/counter mover/miserable person living below the poverty line. Point of my whole story: whatever I did, don’t do it!

In all seriousness, I can't offer any real advice. My mind says go for engineering if you have the mathematics and the logical thinking required because you will end up working and earning. Medical school is hard - harder than engineering in many ways because of the internship - and you have to honestly care about sick people to be a good gp and be willing to face the ultimate judgement of your skills - people dying under your hands - if progressing on to become a surgeon.

My heart says never discourage an artist. Art is what defines a culture and those who produce it do so out of personal need. They have to create as much as they have to eat. There's the problem though; food costs money. There are more options in graphic design, game design, animation...but only if you have real skill. The majority wind up earning only average salaries at best.

The upfront costs of going into say, multimedia, can be lower if choosing to go the college route (Note: I'm Canadian, so college is tech school here whereas university is college to an American). It may cost more per year, but often is completed in less time than a university degree (factor in living expenses). But then you'd lack a degree, which can be vital in applying for certain jobs.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
art is fucking awful imo.

engineering and medical field, are tough, at least where i go to. engineering is probably the hardest program at my school. lots of math and sciences, which isnt my strong point. i went journalism, more specifically advertising.

but now, im thinking of criminology.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
youre doing a master in mechanical scorpio? i just finished my dynamics exam today

thinking of going into grad school when im done
I have exams in November, dynamics of machines being one of them. I have 5 exams even though I'm doing 4 subjects. But of course design and manufacturing (a subject I do) have an exam for each component; so a design one and a manufacturing one. Annoying.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts