Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arn Anderson Reveals How Vince McMahon Instructed WWE Commentators To Bury Sting For “One last nail into WCW's coffin”

WWE Hall of Famer Arn Anderson recently discussed the match on the ARN Podcast and he said that Vince McMahon wanted to “nail one last nail into the coffin” when it came to letting fans know WWE beat WCW in the Monday Night Wars.

Anderson also went into the commentary and noted that the announcers were fed specific lines by Vince McMahon:
“All it did was give the announcers – and I know this was fed to them – they just buried Sting. Saying ‘Minnow in a big pond.’ Just total condescending. ‘Guy’s out of his element.’ ‘This is WrestleMania now.’ ‘You’re just a small minnow in a huge lake.’”

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Idiotic, why Sting agreed to sign with WWE without having a Taker match guaranteed was stupid. Of all people they have Taker face Wyatt. Everyone wanted Sting and Taker, it was stupid it didn’t happen and Triple Ego obviously had to win again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yet 53 year old Goldberg holds the Universal title right now. It makes zero sense. I guess they like Goldberg since he came in 2003 while Sting didn't come til 2014. It is so ignorant and petty though, fans don't care that Sting waited that long. He was getting good pops.

·
Registered
161 Posts
An interesting topic IMO would be

Who screwed up more, WWE with Sting, or WCW with Bret Hart?

I'd probably go Bret since he was still in his prime and had a lot of heat coming from WWF and they blew it and never even did Hogan vs Bret. They did at least give Bret the WCW World title, while Sting only got 1 DQ victory on Raw win I believe.

Yet in interviews Sting loves being there and says how he has a great relationship with Vince, so who tf knows.
I think Sting felt he knew he didn't really have a leg to stand on since he was older when he came in. I don't think he's ever really been a complainer that I've ever heard from him or about him.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yet 53 year old Goldberg holds the Universal title right now. It makes zero sense. I guess they like Goldberg since he came in 2003 while Sting didn't come til 2014. It is so ignorant and petty though, fans don't care that Sting waited that long. He was getting good pops.
Goldberg had to lose 1st though, before Vince could feel like HE built him back up. If Sting was younger same thing would have happened, eventually after Vince jobbed him a few more times; then suddenly he's a WWE Star worth pushing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to say Sting's debut in WWE at Survivor Series was really good it's about the last time I marked out when it comes to wrestling. Then it all went to shit.

Goldberg had to lose 1st though, before Vince could feel like HE built him back up. If Sting was younger same thing would have happened, eventually after Vince jobbed him a few more times; then suddenly he's a WWE Star worth pushing.
Goldberg was undefeated for most of his first run in WWE. I believe he only lost to HHH in a Triple threat match IIRC. He did not lose a singles match that first run. Vince put him over right away. I'm not sure he would have done the same for younger Sting even but I would like to think if Sting was there for a few years he would have been WWE Champion just because I believe he would have been really popular and sold a lot of merch.. Who knows.

I remember hearing when Rock was on his way out in 2003 he wanted to face Sting at Wrestlemania, of course it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I know it's fun to believe all of this anti-WWE stuff but Sting seems happy in interviews and Goldberg is their current champ, Booker T is held in high regard, WCW people are scattered throughout the company without any issues. It makes no sense. What does make sense is commentators talking up their future boss or a disgruntled ex employee working for the competition needed something to talk about on his podcast.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I remember ever couple of years we would hear Sting and WWE were negotiating but it would fall apart, I think going back all the way to like 2002. Maybe it pissed Vince off and he kind of took it out on him when he finally signed.

When I talk about him being treated poorly I'm not talking about announcers I don't know if that's true, but just results of his matches and how poorly they booked him after his debut.

I don't read much into him being happy with WWE I don't think he wants to retire being bitter the last place he worked and when has anyone heard of Sting being a complainer. I bet if you put a gun to his head he wishes it would have gone better. He should have at least faced Undertaker and lost he talked about that match for years even after his retirement.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
I loved how Arn went off in this podcast about how finishers were getting killed and yet he has said positive things lately about the Bucks. They have done more damage to the industry than anyone else. I hope he can slap some sense into them.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I remember ever couple of years we would hear Sting and WWE were negotiating but it would fall apart, I think going back all the way to like 2002. Maybe it pissed Vince off and he kind of took it out on him when he finally signed.

When I talk about him being treated poorly I'm not talking about announcers I don't know if that's true, but just results of his matches and how poorly they booked him after his debut.

I don't read much into him being happy with WWE I don't think he wants to retire being bitter the last place he worked and when has anyone heard of Sting being a complainer. I bet if you put a gun to his head he wishes it would have gone better. He should have at least faced Undertaker and lost he talked about that match for years even after his retirement.
I think he should have too and I would say that was on the cards before his injury. He was more than likely asked who he'd want to wrestling before retiring and unfortunately Seth was one of them. Undertaker VS Sting is the last real dream match and it's never going to happen..

·
Registered
16,246 Posts
Sting never facing Taker when he came into the company was an ultimate disregard for a match most wanted to see.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts