Wrestling Forum banner

Aries considering retirement?

5192 Views 60 Replies 44 Participants Last post by  Zatiel
Austin Aries posted this on his Twitter last night:

"Apparently not big, young, or tough enough. While it's been amazing, the AA chapter of my life may be coming to an end very soon."

I'd hate to see Aries hang it up, he's been one of my favorites for years now. Thoughts?
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
43,038 Posts
Wouldn't suprisee me one bit, been on the cards for a while now. Leaving ROH was a big blow as if you're an Indy guy in the US and you're not being booked by ROH then you're paydays are very limited and much less significant. WWE rejecting him for Tough Enough was probably just the icing on the cake that made him re-evaluate if this is worth it anymore for him.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,189 Posts
It's been rumoured for a while that he might be considering retirement. He'd definitely be a loss to the wrestling business but his past body of work speaks for itself and, in that respect, he doesn't really owe anyone anything more.

On another note, it's crazy how Vince McMahon can make or break a career with just one click of his fingers. Absolute power.

· Banned
6,072 Posts
No reason why he couldn't be more aggressive about getting involved with the puro/lucha scenes.

9,981 Posts
It's been rumoured for a while that he might be considering retirement. He'd definitely be a loss to the wrestling business but his past body of work speaks for itself and, in that respect, he doesn't really owe anyone anything more.

On another note, it's crazy how Vince McMahon can make or break a career with just one click of his fingers. Absolute power.
My exact thoughts.

I wish him well.

· Registered
6,867 Posts
Pretty sure he means the A Double character and he'll reinvent himself again.

I hope.
Considering you can't change height or age, a re-invention won't do much to land him that big break he's been hoping for.

· Registered
3,698 Posts
Pretty sure he means the A Double character and he'll reinvent himself again.

I hope.
I don't see him dropping the A Double persona to be honest.

Very understandable to be honest ,I was shocked to find out him and Joey Ryan didn't make the cut for tough enough.Can't wait to see who's on it now ,more than likely roided up green as hell wrestlers.

Aries has nothing left to do really.Did everything on the indys .Tried and failed to get to WWE.Had a brief but good stint in TNA (Not sure would he want to return ,did he leave on bad terms ?).Japan and Mexico wouldn't be his intrest to wrestle on a regular basis.

I can see him being like Paul London and try to make a cross over to acting and wrestling on maybe a very limited schedule.

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Whats funny is the guys that really seem to get over are the guys with years of experience on the indies and/or internationally like Punk, Del Rio, and Bryan. When I look at the Nexus I see future victims of spring cleaning.

· Banned
10,013 Posts
I LOVE Prime Aries, but man I gotta say I can't blame him. His in ring work is a fraction of what it once was, his character is getting repetitive, and I'm just simply not feeling a connection to his character and that goes for most of the crowd these days IMO.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
It would be sad to see him retire at this age. He apparently burned his brigeds with TNA which is sad, he would be a perfect X-Division top-face/heel since it seems neither WWE nor ROH will use him I can only see him working in Mexico or Japan, but it seems he doesn't want that.

· YES! YES! YES!
13,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From his Facebook page:

People with many q's about my wrestling status. First: Yes, I was passed over for Tough Enough and no, I have not signed with WWE or any other wrestling co. Second: I am re-evaluating my career path and may be stepping away from wrestling to persue other interests. I'll write/speak more about all this soon. Third: I like to sweeten with honey, laugh and be funny, but it ain't all about fun, it's about making money.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
To be fair, this has Johnny Ace written all over it as opposed to Vince; Vince has been proven to be able to spot talent, he might not use it effectively but he can spot it. I can't really imagine Vince not wanting to sign Double A onto the roster (outside of him being in his 30s, but Vince has made exceptions) even if just for the novelty. This ignorance highlighted in this thread however is very consistent with Laurinitis.

· Banned
10,013 Posts
If Vince does not think Austin Aries belongs with his company then I'm not sure if I belong as a part of his fanbase. Despite Aries' decline, I still see him as a perfect fit for the WWE mold asides from the idiotic "size" crap.

· Registered
4,666 Posts
It sucks, but I understand why.

He feels that WWE doesn't want him because he didn't make it on tough enough.
TNA, from what it seems like he didn't like.
ROH has plain stopped booking him.

Those are the top three promotions right now. He doesn't have many option left and Lucha Libre doesn't even know when their show is supposed to start, if at all.

· ¡GOLDADO!
2,647 Posts
I don't see him dropping the A Double persona to be honest.

Very understandable to be honest ,I was shocked to find out him and Joey Ryan didn't make the cut for tough enough.Can't wait to see who's on it now ,more than likely roided up green as hell wrestlers.

Aries has nothing left to do really.Did everything on the indys .Tried and failed to get to WWE.Had a brief but good stint in TNA (Not sure would he want to return ,did he leave on bad terms ?).Japan and Mexico wouldn't be his intrest to wrestle on a regular basis.

I can see him being like Paul London and try to make a cross over to acting and wrestling on maybe a very limited schedule.
I remember hearing that he has already done some tv work, I think it was on Colt Cabana's podcast:

http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/podpress_trac/web/57/0/show20.mp3

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.