Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honestly, I think many of us are bored with the long winded promo's that usually kick off Raw, HHH or Seth Rollins or whoever talking for 20 minutes before anything even starts gets incredibly tedious, however talk shows within the WWE have always played an integral part in building up a feud and with the right host to rial the talents and sell the feud, these can work pretty well.

We've seen some pretty iconic moments on these shows in the past, The Rockers for example breaking up on the Barbershop was one, Jake Roberts being blinded on the Brother Love show, Jimmy Snuka with the coconut, the list is endless but these have been vital parts that have really pushed certain feuds up a notch.

Of course over the years we've had Shawn Michaels' 'Heartbreak Hotel', Brutus Beefcakes 'Barbershop', Christian's 'Peep Show', Pipers 'Pipers Pit', Brother Love's 'Brother Love Show', Paul Bearer's 'The Funeral Parlour', Edge's 'Cutting Edge', Chris Jericho's 'Hightlight Reel', Carlito's 'Cabana' Jerry Lawler's 'Kings Court', and more recently, The Miz with 'Miz TV' all come to mind, which, if these shows are done right ... can be a very vital and entertaining part of not only building up a feud but the show in general.

So my question is, which WWE talk shows have you enjoyed the most and how would you like to see these progress?

Honestly, with a host that is good at what they do, it's much better and more entertaining than a segment of a guy stood in the ring banging on about what he's going to do at the next PPV, the host can rial and build up a feud, which also add's to the fact that many of us feel that feud's don't tend to have much substance or build up lately.

So what are your thoughts, I'd love to hear some thoughts and vibes from you guys.​

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
It depends, if the host is good,then the segment will probably be good. But recently, we have Miz TV,and even though he is very good on the mic, he is not a good host and miz TV always has the same shit. Miz does most of the talking/arguing with the competitors and then the face gets in the ring, Miz annoyed them and then the face beats Miz up. It gets boring after a little while. Same with the contract signing. What they should do is first of all keep the talk shows in the back, where its really quiet. This makes the atmosphere tense and intimidating and make the feuds more heated. Every single time on miz TV, its the same ring with the crowd always making noise killing a lot of tension. Another thing I don't like about a lot of wrestlers is that the face all want to fight while the heels run away. I would love to see one day Ambrose and Wyatt just give a killer promo and then have a badass staredown, no fighting, just a staredown. A good staredown could do wonders. The talk shows should be in the back. If they do fight, than security, the bigger the stars the more security there is come out and try to hold them back but they cant stop them.

So basically, I think there should be more staredowns and securities, while talk shows are backstage.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
However talk shows within the WWE have always played an integral part in building up a feud and with the right host to rial the talents and sell the feud, these can work pretty well.

We've seen some pretty iconic moments on these shows in the past, The Rockers for example breaking up on the Barbershop was one, Jake Roberts being blinded on the Brother Love show, Jimmy Snuka with the coconut, the list is endless but these have been vital parts that have really pushed certain feuds up a notch.
This is exactly what they need to do with Miz TV and there's only one time they did this. When Cena & Bryan were guests on Miz TV and Bryan said it was a tradition in Japan for wrestlers to slap each other and that he'd like to slap Cena but he wouldn't because he was a "parody of a wrestler" which riled Cena up and caused him to slap Bryan instead. Miz TV's best moment for sure. It brought some heat to the feud and gave the match at Summerslam more meaning. It made me wanna see the match even more. For Bryan, it was about proving the WWE system wrong about how a guy like him should never be a World Champion and only guys with "da look" like Cena should be. And for Cena, it was about proving Bryan and his haters wrong about how he couldn't wrestle, that he was more than just a guy with the right look.

I loved this moment during their match at Summerslam because it was the moment you knew Cena had earned Bryan's respect as a wrestler.

Miz TV needs more great moments like that for people to care about the show and look forward to it when it's advertised to happen at a future event.

As for the show I enjoyed the most, I know Piper's Pit is gonna be the most popular answer here, for me it was The King's Court. It didn't really create any iconic moments like Piper's Pit, The Barbershop etc. but Lawler was a hilarious host and he was brilliant at riling up his babyface guests and pandering to his heel guests. The jokes he would crack especially about Bret's parents and the Roddy Piper parody he did on that show had me in stitches.

King was a fantastic heel back then.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Never been a fan of these, to be honest I've never had one of these types of segments "wow" me, maybe I'm forgetting one though. I think part of it is that they typically come off as *too* scripted and/or too predictable. Not all of them I suppose, but take that Miz TV stuff, it feels like you are watching an actor and not a wrestler. In fact the only Miz TV I liked was when he got beat down by Lesnar.... well also the one where he got beat down by Ryback.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends, if the host is good,then the segment will probably be good. But recently, we have Miz TV,and even though he is very good on the mic, he is not a good host and miz TV always has the same shit. Miz does most of the talking/arguing with the competitors and then the face gets in the ring, Miz annoyed them and then the face beats Miz up. It gets boring after a little while. Same with the contract signing. What they should do is first of all keep the talk shows in the back, where its really quiet. This makes the atmosphere tense and intimidating and make the feuds more heated. Every single time on miz TV, its the same ring with the crowd always making noise killing a lot of tension. Another thing I don't like about a lot of wrestlers is that the face all want to fight while the heels run away. I would love to see one day Ambrose and Wyatt just give a killer promo and then have a badass staredown, no fighting, just a staredown. A good staredown could do wonders. The talk shows should be in the back. If they do fight, than security, the bigger the stars the more security there is come out and try to hold them back but they cant stop them.

So basically, I think there should be more staredowns and securities, while talk shows are backstage.
Yeah, they're too repetitive really lately.

This is exactly what they need to do with Miz TV and there's only one time they did this. When Cena & Bryan were guests on Miz TV and Bryan said it was a tradition in Japan for wrestlers to slap each other and that he'd like to slap Cena but he wouldn't because he was a "parody of a wrestler" which riled Cena up and caused him to slap Bryan instead. Miz TV's best moment for sure. It brought some heat to the feud and gave the match at Summerslam more meaning. It made me wanna see the match even more. For Bryan, it was about proving the WWE system wrong about how a guy like him should never be a World Champion and only guys with "da look" like Cena should be. And for Cena, it was about proving Bryan and his haters wrong about how he couldn't wrestle, that he was more than just a guy with the right look.

I loved this moment during their match at Summerslam because it was the moment you knew Cena had earned Bryan's respect as a wrestler.

Miz TV needs more great moments like that for people to care about the show and look forward to it when it's advertised to happen at a future event.

As for the show I enjoyed the most, I know Piper's Pit is gonna be the most popular answer here, for me it was The King's Court. It didn't really create any iconic moments like Piper's Pit, The Barbershop etc. but Lawler was a hilarious host and he was brilliant at riling up his babyface guests and pandering to his heel guests. The jokes he would crack especially about Bret's parents and the Roddy Piper parody he did on that show had me in stitches.

King was a fantastic heel back then.
Jerry Lawler was such a great heel though, the more I've seen of him as a heel the more I realise just how good he was :)

Never been a fan of these, to be honest I've never had one of these types of segments "wow" me, maybe I'm forgetting one though. I think part of it is that they typically come off as *too* scripted and/or too predictable. Not all of them I suppose, but take that Miz TV stuff, it feels like you are watching an actor and not a wrestler. In fact the only Miz TV I liked was when he got beat down by Lesnar.... well also the one where he got beat down by Ryback.
It does depend how they're done I guess, The Brother Love show always seemed to have some great moments, same with the Barbershop really, they were used well were those segments at that time, Funeral Parlour too with Warrior, Hogan etc... they did help to push up a feud, where as they've not seem to have done that for a while I don't think, they need specific things to happen on them where they can look back or refer to during their feuds, but they don't, they do an appearance and that's it, it's forgotten about.

·
Banned
2,322 Posts
I love them!
Remember how many great moments in WWF history were due to talk show segments?
The Rockers breakup
Andre turning heel on Hulk Hogan
Jake Roberts turning on The Undertaker
Mr Perfect turning face and joining Randy Savage
Roddy Piper smashing a coconut off of Jimmy Snukas head

So many.

I'd love to see them return to prominence as they are a great way to start and continue feuds.

Imagine a Miz TV segment where Ambrose is being interviewed after successfully defending the title against Kevin Owens at The Royal Rumble. He says that he wants to be regarded as a fighting IC Champion and will defend the title against anyone and anybody.
Dolph Ziggler comes out and says that he respects Ambrose as an IC Champion and cuts an emotional and heartfelt promo about how he used to wear the IC Title with pride and just wants one more chance to do so again, they set a date for a match at Wrestlemania and shake hands and say may the best man win.
They are standing together until out of nowhere Ziggler superkicks Ambrose then brutally assaults the fallen champion. He then poses with the IC Championship before spitting on Ambrose, flipping off the crowd then leaving...
Hot new feud started, and a heel turn for Ziggler.
All on a talk show segment.

They can be great booking devices.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love them!
Remember how many great moments in WWF history were due to talk show segments?
The Rockers breakup
Andre turning heel on Hulk Hogan
Jake Roberts turning on The Undertaker
Mr Perfect turning face and joining Randy Savage
Roddy Piper smashing a coconut off of Jimmy Snukas head

So many.

I'd love to see them return to prominence as they are a great way to start and continue feuds.

Imagine a Miz TV segment where Ambrose is being interviewed after successfully defending the title against Kevin Owens at The Royal Rumble. He says that he wants to be regarded as a fighting IC Champion and will defend the title against anyone and anybody.
Dolph Ziggler comes out and says that he respects Ambrose as an IC Champion and cuts an emotional and heartfelt promo about how he used to wear the IC Title with pride and just wants one more chance to do so again, they set a date for a match at Wrestlemania and shake hands and say may the best man win.
They are standing together until out of nowhere Ziggler superkicks Ambrose then brutally assaults the fallen champion. He then poses with the IC Championship before spitting on Ambrose, flipping off the crowd then leaving...
Hot new feud started, and a heel turn for Ziggler.
All on a talk show segment.

They can be great booking devices.
I agree, I think the problem has become is that they are so set within a formula right now, with no creative direction going with them.

For example, Miz TV is pretty much the same, Miz starts the show, brings out the talent, brings out the talent his original guest is feuding with, Miz gets attacked by the talent at some point, the talent then fight ... and it's the same formula every time, we pretty much know what to expect.

That was never the case really in the previous talk show segments, when you look back on them :)

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
In this day and age, no talk shows in wrestling have been iconic or even remotely entertaining beside the Piper's Pit (not even originated from this era). All of the memorable moments were in the WWF.

·
None but ourselves
3,430 Posts
Sorry AG but others, especially Nightrow and Mr. Amazing have already expressed my sentiments perfectly. Usually that doesn't stop me but this time, well consider it my gift. It's Christmas, don't you know?

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In this day and age, no talk shows in wrestling have been iconic or even remotely entertaining beside the Piper's Pit (not even originated from this era). All of the memorable moments were in the WWF.
I know, it's because they do seem to be so much a formula, there's no creativity or switch up with them anymore, which is a shame really.

They could be very good and very beneficial if they added this to them, but they don't.

Sorry AG but others, especially Nightrow and Mr. Amazing have already expressed my sentiments perfectly. Usually that doesn't stop me but this time, well consider it my gift. It's Christmas, don't you know?
Share them, it's a forum for discussion, not sure why you wouldn't otherwise, it's no gift to me if you don't share them lol

It's all about the discussion man lol

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Honestly no, I don't like them.

Piper's Pit was sometimes good because it did advance a story, or something special happened (Snuka and the coconut).

The rest of them have all been meh. Then again, I dunno anyone as good on the mic as Piper has had one. Jericho is pretty good on the mic but for some reason his show just annoyed me.

I think some of that has to do with the death of kayfabe. That just makes the talk show format much harder to get into.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts