Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a marketing standpoint they'd reach out to a market even larger than India. There are plenty of big athletic looking Chinese people, their population is over 1 billion. They probably can easily get heat, just pick someone not particularly good in the ring or Mic, and have them beat AJ Styles, cena, Orton, etc and get the championship. Boom, top heel and you have someone to put on the posters and billboards in China.

Reactions: Ace

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,139 Posts

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,671 Posts
They need to find Chinese wrestlers that are capable of cutting a promo in English or they won't go far, unless they have a great look (currently as far as I know there aren't any such wrestlers in the Chinese scene yet) or they can get over with their elite in-ring skills (still, there seemingly aren't any yet). Unfortunately, you rarely find a decent English speaker in the group of Chinese with relatively lower education, which most Chinese wrestlers belong in.

If we're talking about building up a face character that represents China, Tian Bing seems to be their chosen one among the current bunch of Chinese recruits, but his in-ring skill doesn't stand out, his personality is completely bland and his English is worse than Nakamura. He seems to be likeable to some extent though, so as a face at least he may go as far as where Akira Tozawa could be I guess. If he's pushed to the top when people think his talent doesn't warrant it like Jinder was, there's no guarantee the same thing will happen because with Jinder there's that sudden factor combined with his steroid speculations and him being a natural heel. With Tian Bing these factors don't exist so it's hard to tell.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They need to find Chinese wrestlers that are capable of cutting a promo in English or they won't go far, unless they have a great look (currently as far as I know there aren't any such wrestlers in the Chinese scene yet) or they can get over with their elite in-ring skills (still, there seemingly aren't any yet). Unfortunately, you rarely find a decent English speaker in the group of Chinese with relatively lower education, which most Chinese wrestlers belong in.

Tian Bing seems to be their chosen one among the current bunch of Chinese recruits, but his in-ring skill doesn't stand out, his personality is completely bland and his English is worse than Nakamura. He seems to be likeable to some extent though, so at least he may go as far as where Akira Tozawa could be I guess.
He doesn't need to be good in the ring or on the Mic. he can just get strong booking and he will get a reaction either way.

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,671 Posts
He doesn't need to be good in the ring or on the Mic. he can just get strong booking and he will get a reaction either way.
Ah, I accidentally clicked submit and I've just edited my post.

·
Banned
724 Posts
When it happens you can be sure the smarks on this site will ish all over it. Whereas if we crown a Japanese champion they'll all cream their pants, and so will Dave Meltzer!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't want there to be a trend to push people just to reach out to a certain group. If they are good, fine but please don't do it because they look a certain way.

·
Registered
619 Posts
China isnt good easy market to penetrate. Most of ppl in china dont know or speak english. While in india almost every1 does. Wrestling is already popular in India while they have to start from scratch in china. China has lot of regulations so its harder to get in there compared to india whose entertainment indusrty is open.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
China has more disposable income. Not that it is going to matter. Neither country is going to be this huge $$$ goldmine that the WWE seems to think it is going to be.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Wrestling is already popular in India. China will have a much lower % of viewers which could mean a number lower than India. It will be interesting to see WWE try to crack in the Chinese market though if they do.
This.

India loves wrestling. I don't think wrestling is nearly as popular in China. It's always a possibility but first they need to establish how to make a big profit in India. Step 1. was getting Jinder over. Step 2. will be to find other ways to monetize in India through the network, merch, Jinder, tours, etc.

Reactions: Ace

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
I hope not, guys from around here are piss poor :ha

·
Locker Room Leader
12,170 Posts
China is a strange market. Many enterprises have tried to make inroads there but without much success. Facebook, Uber, Amazon are all huge in India for example, but not in China.

I don't know how strong the interest for pro-wrestling is in China. If it's there, it does present a golden opportunity. However, we'll likely see a Japanese world champ before we get a Chinese one.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope not, guys from around here are piss poor
That's even better. The crappier they are the better heat they will get when they get their mega push.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts