Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
29,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dead crowds everywhere, ratings in the toilet, fans talking about cancellation, attendance declining, merch sales dropping significantly each quarter and network subs falling an alarming 10% this year. Network subs have never declined year on year.

With everything so lifeless, creative seemingly getting worse and fans losing patience with the product, the company is staring down the barrel of falling into complete irrelevance. Only hope they seem to have is a new era clicking in bringing back fans (3rd in 4 years? :lol) or the next guy on the level of a Hogan, Rock, Austin or Cena appearing to turn things around.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
There is absolutely no man can save WWE from becoming irrelevant. But they can somewhat survive if:

1. They hire new creative team
2. Get rid of PG
3. No more ppvs on monthly basis
4. Try giving every talent 30 mins TV time per month
5. At least 3 months break for every top talent every year
6. Vince dies

I might have lost your point, but IMO this should really help them die another day.

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
Only WWE can save WWE.

As great as those guys were, they're just one person. Same goes for Vince. In my opinion, no one is bigger or more important than WWE as a whole. Anytime the company has gotten hot or righted the ship, it was concerted effort.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Sometimes I feel like there is an echo chamber from the hardcore base that really is convinced of this, yet I still see people trotting to the arenas and it's not like the shows are Impact levels of attendance yet. It would be dead if it wasnt trending on social media at all and getting hits on YT. This is all still happening.

Now I think the shows will continue to suck through the next cycle of the next great star/stars. Who knows when that will happen though. But I think people will still watch/view/tune in. We all somewhat dislike/hate it right now yet here we are still talking about it. Anecdotal situation i know but it holds true for a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
No. The only way WWE can be saved at this point is when Vince dies, there is simply no way around it. He refuses to step aside from being in control of show writing and booking, and has admitted he doesn't ever plan on retiring.
He is too set in his own traditional ways and won't change with the times. The man is too old to be doing this shit but refuses to accept it.

Many hope that when XFL launches that Vince will actually go focus on that instead, but I think he is foolish enough to try and do both.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Unless the next Steve Austin or Rock or even Cena for that matter comes along, WWE will continue to be this way... WWE has a bunch of generic wrestlers right now whose main skill is to wrestle the same match 20 minutes a week but cant sell themselves for shit on the mic and hence have to have these meaningless matches every week....I mean think about it, if you can promote yourself, how many different matches can you possibly have.. there are only a finite number of opponents..... So unless the base problem doesn't go away, nothing is going to change... We can think Vince is gone and the product magically becomes better.. But its still the same bunch of wrestlers...

People thinking wwe is going to go bankrupt..I highly doubt that.. They still generate lots of revenue, have a decent turnover.. It may take a decade maybe for them to go out as long as their core base continues to tune in despite the load of crap served every week.. Maybe their stock prices crash and revenues fall but doesnt mean they go bankrupt...

·
Registered
155 Posts
There needs to be a drastic re-think of how the WWE operates. There's so much content to put out that creative suffers so much. Not only that, You have Vince having the final say and if he changes his mind? your plans are screwed.

If they want to improve the product. They have to sacrifice some of the content. Which in return, sacrifices money. Imagine its just Raw/Smackdown to think off. The roster would be stacked. They have enough wrestlers to never have the same feud twice. Or even the same match. They could put on classic matches while creative focuses on the entertainment aspect.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Dead crowds everywhere, ratings in the toilet, fans talking about cancellation, attendance declining, merch sales dropping significantly each quarter and network subs falling an alarming 10% this year. Network subs have never declined year on year.

With everything so lifeless, creative seemingly getting worse and fans losing patience with the product, the company is staring down the barrel of falling into complete irrelevance. Only hope they seem to have is a new era clicking in bringing back fans (3rd in 4 years? :lol) or the next guy on the level of a Hogan, Rock, Austin or Cena appearing to turn things around.
ugh what is with the revisionist history already for Cena? I feel I'm jumping on this shit in every thread today but PLEASE do not put Cena in the same tier as Hogan, Austin and Rock!

The last fucking thing we need is another Cena. Dude was hot garbage during his superman run.

But yes I agree with you that I don't think anybody on the current roster has the ability to "change the business". Time is ticking for the WWE for sure.

I was watching a random thing on the WWE network about the year 1997, it was a sit down discussing the year with HBK, Foley, Simmons, Godfather and Kane. The one thing they stressed about 1997 was that the characters came first before the wrestling. Wrestling was just a back drop for the storylines and characters.

WWE needs to return to this or they will probably go the way of the dodo in the next decade after their TV deals run out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think WWE is dead. The product quality may be low but the overall income of the company is good and better than it was during periods where the product quality was actually way higher. Still, I think WWE should tackle the following steps in order to raise product quality :

1) Get rid of Vince. Not gonna happen until he dies, sadly.
2) Clean up the roster. The roster is way to big right now. There is too much dead weight.
3) Build up some big stables. They're a great way to build up characters and it's intriguing to develop storylines around them.
4) Give up on the face-heel mechanic. This mechanic was alright when the internet wasn't a thing and people's opinions were easy to manipulate. Now it just feels forced and obsolete. They should build storylines around the character's personality and gimmick not just because one is a "bad guy" and the other one is a "good guy".
5) Cut down Raw's lenght to 2 hours.
6) Let perfomers have more freedom during promos and character development and give them their time. It's alright if a couple guys miss an episode.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
They are worth more money now than they ever have been.

This fantasy that they are about to die is simply that, a fantasy. They are in no danger of dying right now, no danger whatsoever. This is a pipe dream for WWE haters & AEW fanboys.

WRESTLING is unpopular, not just WWE but professional wrestling as a whole. If you think AEW is going to spark up a boom period you're dead wrong. They are even worse for casual fans than WWE, way too much pointless wrestling, nowhere near enough characters & story telling.

Could it get better? Sure. I don't think one guy is the answer though. Creative & engaging stories are what is needed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The writing is shit and WWE dug themselves this hole years ago when they traded creative freedom for money.

Having friends in high places like USA, FOX and all the charities they partner with was the direction WWE chose to go in. While they made more money for a while, their writing quality suffered horribly. Pair that with the fact that Vince has been selling his own stock in the company to fund "other ventures" like the XFL 2020 reboot, you're left with a pseudo-wrestling/entertainment TV show whose actors and actresses take themselves a little too seriously on social media with nobody at the helm of it all.

I just don't think wrestling is as popular as it used to be in the eighties and nineties. It had a cult following then. Now it's just like a roaming carnival that do some shows here and there if you're interested in paying Vince McMahon money for the live experience.

The die-hard fans of 15-20+ years are ironically dying out. You have to factor in the sad truth that there have already been so many, many deaths in the wrestling business already. The people the majority of us probably grew up watching are either all retired or are the next best thing. What happens when WWE have no more legends to rely on? When it isn't McMahon run anymore if the many McMahon children decide they don't want anything to do with wrestling?

Not putting all of your eggs into one basket springs to mind, WWE..

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The irony is, that even with all of these things being true, WWE right now is making more money than ever.

You think Vince gives 2 shits about fan opinion and ratings right now, while he bathes in the several billion dollars in deals that have been inked with Saudi, Fox and USA? They're basically on dream street for at least 3 years.

"If ticket sales to house shows drop, then pull some house shows. If attendance to TV isn't great, reposition the cameras. Who gives a fuck? Pass another vat of caviar, will ya?"

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
The WWE needs to just take a break for a year and then start again from scratch without that old psychopath in charge. It's so fucking TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cancel house shows

4 pay per views a year Rumble’ Mania, Survivor Series (but done as All wrestlers of the opposing team need to be pinned submitted.). And Hell in a cell gimmick matches
More promos and backstage segments.
Stop having heel champions wrestling every week. And when they do fight beat people like Jose. Cena intercontinental championship booking to face champions.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,075 Posts
As much as there are people on the current roster that I'd love to see get pushed instead of just the McMahons pets being forced down our throats, nothing will change business/ratings wise until this entire roster is a thing of the past. Everyone on the roster is ruined and/or sucks. You've got those few McMahon pets who get endlessly pushed and kill the ratings, then you've got an ocean of jobbers.

Everyone has a stink about them, either from being forced down our throats or from being jobbed into oblivion.

·
Registered
16,224 Posts
As long as its about the "brand" > talent you won't have characters to care about anymore.VINCE IS TO BLAME

·
The Babyface of WF
10,959 Posts
The next Top guy needs that certain authenticity to stand out in order to be a successful candidate to carry the company on his back with a competent creative team working with the rest of the locker room so everybody has a role to play on TV, The next FOTC could be worse for all we know than what we already have.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts