Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably me just looking into it too much, but last night's Raw was the second week in a row where there has been commentary on CM Punk's WWE Championship reign.

Last week, there was the backstage segment with CM Punk and John Cena where Punk said he feels he's grown since he's become WWE Champion (I completely disagree, but I digress) and that Cena should follow his lead. Cena smirked, but went along with it.

Then, this week, Eve tells Punk that his championship reign has been overshadowed by The Rock, John Cena, Triple H, Brock Lesnar and even Big Show, which is pretty much true.

Do you think these are just comments to make it seem that Punk is 'wound up' heading into Money in the Bank, or do you think it's something else? To me it seems like they're already building Punk vs. Cena for SummerSlam, with the storyline of 'who is the real face of the WWE?'

Discuss.

· Banned
3,362 Posts
This feels like the status quo that is back where Punk was talking about last year. We can all hope that Punk turns heel again and defeats MITB winner Cena in such a vicious way, he will leave for months to come.

This will not happen though because WWE is a show directed for 9 year olds

· a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
32,397 Posts
I want to say that the Eve/Punk backstage thing is leading somewhere, like Punk going back to "rebelling".

But part of me beleives it was just Vince :trolling "IWC" fans

· Butter My Arse
16,432 Posts
I just hope down the line Punk is going to snap. Not Ken Shamrock style, but Joey Styles...er, style. Deliver another diatribe about how he's sick and tired of being told that he's being overshadowed, and then starts acting cocky again.

· Registered
8,476 Posts
yes .. backwards

look at CM Punk back in July 2011 , then look at him now in July 2012 , that's a huge drastic change folks

he went from the guy who is "reviving" edgy wrestling and reality based feuds , to a guy who is now involved in the corniest , super cheesy feud of the last 3 years

see he should've been the alternative of John Cena , now he's basically being put in storylines that turn him into Cena V.2

CM Punk became , and i quote: "what he hates" , he is no longer the underdog , he is no longer the rebel .. he is the New York Yankees

· Registered
166 Posts
This is probably me just looking into it too much, but last night's Raw was the second week in a row where there has been commentary on CM Punk's WWE Championship reign.

Last week, there was the backstage segment with CM Punk and John Cena where Punk said he feels he's grown since he's become WWE Champion (I completely disagree, but I digress) and that Cena should follow his lead. Cena smirked, but went along with it.

Then, this week, Eve tells Punk that his championship reign has been overshadowed by The Rock, John Cena, Triple H, Brock Lesnar and even Big Show, which is pretty much true.

Do you think these are just comments to make it seem that Punk is 'wound up' heading into Money in the Bank, or do you think it's something else? To me it seems like they're already building Punk vs. Cena for SummerSlam, with the storyline of 'who is the real face of the WWE?'

Discuss.

OMG THAT IS THE GREATEST SIG PIC EVER!!!!!!

· Premium Member
3,033 Posts
I think in the next coming weeks Punk starts to see that the wool has been pulled over his eyes, that even though he is champion, he is in the same position as he was a year ago before the shoot, in that he is constantly overshadowed by someone else which leeds him to snap in his upcoming fued with Cena and starts to behave like the Punk we know and love from last summer.

WWE wouldnt bluntly bury Punk like that on TV for no reason, they are setting something up.

· Ted the Moth
13,451 Posts
I am pretty sure they're just taking the piss out of him. And he lets them, the whore.
The "Even" wasn't for Big Show. The "Even" was for the former 3 time WWE Champion, former UFC world champion (UFC biggest draw ever) Yes, "Even Brock Lesnar"
lol yeah that one was kind of funny. I suppose since Brock is only here for like 30 days a year or whatever he signed for, it's harder to get overshadowed by someone who is barely there.

· Registered
3,804 Posts
This entire episode felt like the writers had glanced at the IWC. Cole said how he shouldn't be wrestling as it distracts from actual wrestling and specifically young talent. The Eve thing. The fact they bothered to address the anonymous manager (O.K, they addressed it in the most 'Fuck you we don't care' manner possible, but they addressed it).

I don't think it will go anywhere, even if it did produce an interesting Cena/ Punk angle.

· Registered
301 Posts
I think in the next coming weeks Punk starts to see that the wool has been pulled over his eyes, that even though he is champion, he is in the same position as he was a year ago before the shoot, in that he is constantly overshadowed by someone else which leeds him to snap in his upcoming fued with Cena and starts to behave like the Punk we know and love from last summer.

WWE wouldnt bluntly bury Punk like that on TV for no reason, they are setting something up.
I agree. The frustration of Cena always getting the spotlight and always being overshadowed by other competitors will probably drive Punk to turn heel. Whatever they are setting up, I hope it's good and I hope we see the fire Punk displayed at this time last year.

I like Punk, but it's sad to see that he's nowhere near as hot as he was at MITB 2011.

· Banned
3,362 Posts
I much rather see Punk unemployed and working for promotions like ROH or TNA than the fucking corny stuff he is doing now. He must be making lots of money..

OR ARE THEY TRYING TO FUCK UP HIS REIGN TO FUEL JUST ANOTHER PIPEBOMB????!!! OMG!!!

· Registered
57 Posts

Do you know what burying means? Drew Mcintyre is being buried. i.e taken from a promising spot and moved down the card to a jobber, never winning or doing anything meaningful. Punk is the WWE champion, and has been for 10 of the last 12 months. He hasn't lost a one on one match cleanly on TV for over a year (If i'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me, but I'm struggling to think of one). While he hasn't been in the "main event" this year, in 3 of the 6 PPV's (Royal Rumble, WM, Extreme Rules) he had no right in main eventing anyway. While I am sad to see Punk slowly carved into John Cena Mk.II, he's not being buried at all. Fuck, he's getting the Cena treatment, that's the opposite of being buried. So please, can we stop with the burying shit?

P.S: I love Punk, and it annoys me that Cena is featured above the WWE title so blatantly, but some of you guys really need to put things into perspective.

· Registered
23 Posts
Cm punk said that he will retire soon. Though, publicly he didnt went into details, but obviously there is no point of making punk cena v.2. Besides, I would not mind if Punk would go to the darckside.Actually, he even could be one of those few heels you can be cheared.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.