Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now Lord Tensai, Ryback, Brodus Clay, and soon Damien and Antonio are all going to be squashing their opponents for the foreseeable future. Isn't this too many squash matches per show? Especially Smackdown where Brodus Clay now appears. Smackdown is almost unwatchable because its where all the new guys come to get their monster push. There's very few actual feuds, just Kane vs Orton(meh), Cody vs Big Show, and Sheamus vs Del Rio.

·
You are being watched
5,683 Posts
Yes - squash matches are ridiculous after so long. Saying that Brodus is still having squash matches even after debuting in January surely says that creative has nothing for him and he's just a filler act which could easily just go to someone who remotely deserves it. Tensai is ridiculous, as is Ryback. I like Sandow and Cesaro though, simply because they have characters and they have personality.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not that they are good or bad. I'm sure Antonio is pretty good. But having this many squash matches per show is not good for anyone. Its like half the matches on Smackdown need to be a squash match now because of all these new dominant guys they are trying to push. Smackdown just has way too few credible wrestlers right now to even feed to those guys. Its time for a draft or a merger seriously.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
They are building Sandow and Cesaro as backstage/promo characters first, so I don't think they'll get into frequent squash matches as that isn't their purpose. Ryback is doing loads of squash matches but that's in his character. Same with Lord Tensai to make him look dominant.

I don't mind the new guys looking strong and dominating. Smackdown's roster is so thin that they should have even more new guys come in and try to make a mark. Last night's Asheville Smackdown house show had a recorded attendance of around 1,000. That's TNA territory in attendance. People aren't caring about the show or their current roster so something has to shake up this show.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its ok to have one of these guys per show at max. But to have a Brodus Clay squash match, a Ryback squash match, a Cesaro Squash match, and a Damien squash match potentially will really suck to watch. Half the show is squash matches. We want to see real matches and feuds. I don't care how much Smackdown sucks, at least TRY to make it good. Its insulting to the fans the way it is now.

·
Banned
787 Posts
its a matter of time when Cesaro,Sandow and Clay will be squashed by another young stars about 6 months from now :D

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
There's nothing interesting about SD except the new faces.

We can complain about the number of squash matches...and there are too many, but the fact is that most of the feuds look like squashes.

Jesus Big Show has mopped the floor with Cody. Cody won 1 match, by a fluke, since this whole feud started. Sheamus destroyed D-Bryan since Feb. Kicking him in the face pretty much at will and beat him like 5 times straight without ever losing a match in the feud.

I was always told its not a fight until the other guy lands a significant punch and I don't consider one sided feuds much of a feud at all.

The fact is the people SD considers "top guys" even get treated like the Heath Slaters & JTGs they are supposed to be better than. This didn't start until Christian won the strap last year and then he became the personal jobber for Randy Orton, fast forward a few weeks then Mark Henry couldn't buy a win against Big Show (strangely enough DB & Henry have been the most dominant and best champions in the company).

Now Sheamus easily beats DB & Henry weekly completely crippling the threat of heels on SD. Its ridiculous that a whole show passes and no heels win at all...not even by DQ or count out. As long as this is happening SD will continue to sink to new lows.

So the answer to the question of "is there too many dominant characters?" Is HELL FUCKING YES!!!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Squash matches annoy me. They don't make the character look too impressive. They make the other guy look incompetent. If they actually gave them proper matches to show off all there skill and endurance it'd be much more effective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts