Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
They could, but Vince will probably start having nightmares of when the product was good, & it was them who had a say & not just Vinny Mac with his 100% lockdown on his CAW.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,401 Posts
"Larger than life" has just become a dumb excuse to shit on smaller guys and champion 6'3+ jacked charisma vacuums.

To give you a short list, Bryan, Wyatt, Nakamura, Owens (wait until he gets the anti-authority tweaner run), Enzo Amore, Aries, Zayn (his charisma will work like Bryan's did), Ambrose, Rollins, Lesnar, Cena etc. are all larger than life in some way.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,323 Posts
Nobody really does, not even Reigns who the WWE machine is behind. Taker and Jericho don't feel like big deals either, neither does sting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can think of 2, one left for UFC and the other isn't being cleared to compete...

From the available guys, John Cena is most definitely "larger than life" and probably has the most star power in WWE history (after The Rock).

There are those who have potential, mainly 3, Rollins (was on his way until injury happened, can easily pick up where he left off), Roman Reigns (they are forcing it, but he will get there), and Ambrose (who is no where near pushed enough, he is not even in the main event, but once they realize what he's got and how big he can get and finally give him the push he deserves, I'm sure he will be up there)

So yes, the 3 members of The Shield can be this generation's Austin (Ambrose)/Rock(Reigns)/HHH(Rollins) (of course I'm not making a direct comparison, different days, different era)

·
The Last Dragon
14,488 Posts
No. But you know what the interesting thing is? Even the part timers have lost a good bit of their luster as well in the past few years, sadly.
Great point here. No one is immune to awful booking and presention these days (look at last year Taker's run).

·
Registered
16,455 Posts
Titus O'Neil is a great big guy, great on the mic and very likable, just a shame he sucks in the ring, if he could improve on that I would so want him to be given a push.

As far as larger than life guys go Titus is the only one I like right now. Man is coming up to 40, I am expecting a charity title run coming soon :p

It comes to me that larger guys are harder to find now days. Especially likable ones. We are getting less big guys like Rock and more big guys like Test now days. Good to look at but thats all :p

Great point here. No one is immune to awful booking and presention these days (look at last year Taker's run).
Yup, my favorite of all time was literally turned into my worst wrestler of the year last year.

Which in the end really puts it all down to booking.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Cena became lager than life because there were no boundaries. With boundaries, becoming larger than life is practically impossible.

Cena was getting popular with nice mic skills saying and doing edgy shit. Having amazing matches that involved blood to increase the realism. Actually allowed to FU Lita, and saving Maria from being truly done in by Umaga. The product (the content on live TV) is being held back.

WWE has truly drilled it into people's heads that this roster sucks, and it's a damn shame tbh.

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
You can't really have larger than life characters when the loudest most hardcore fans are demanding repeatability from everyone young except Bray.

I mean all of Bryan and Punk's appeal character wise (in ring they are gold) was that they were relatable. I mean when the most over guy in a decade was over because hardcore fans are convinced Vince hates him it tells you all you need to know about larger than life characters. What you do on the show is less important than what Vince thinks of you backstage.

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
"Larger than life" has just become a dumb excuse to shit on smaller guys and champion 6'3+ jacked charisma vacuums.

To give you a short list, Bryan, Wyatt, Nakamura, Owens (wait until he gets the anti-authority tweaner run), Enzo Amore, Aries, Zayn (his charisma will work like Bryan's did), Ambrose, Rollins, Lesnar, Cena etc. are all larger than life in some way.
If you read the bold in my OP, you'd see that I said that being larger than life has less to do with being a bodybuilder and more to do with how you carry yourself. Bryan kinda feels larger than life due to his huge following. As I said before, Bray Wyatt has potential, but isn't even close to being larger than life due to his booking. Nakamura hasn't even debuted yet and how many casuals actually know who that is? Once again, the way Owens carries himself doesn't make him larger than life. He's getting there though, but like Wyatt, he's not there yet. I fail to see how Enzo Amore is larger than life. He has charisma and, if he's booked right and able to say more things other than SAWFT, then I could see him being a contender in that category. Austin Aries hasn't debuted yet and casuals probably don't know who he is. Zayn is nowhere near larger than life. The guy is a great wrestler and he has the underdog thing working for him, but that's it. For Ambrose, see my OP. For Rollins, he's almost there, but his constant no selling of moves and his booking makes him not larger than life. I actually agree on Lesnar and Cena, but Lesnar is a part-timer and Cena's getting there.

Reactions: THANOS

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Vince has put all his eggs in one basket lately pushing the talented Stable SHIELD at the expense of keeping equally skilled wrestlers on low profile during the buildup, admittedly there are alot of injuries which make the present roster thinned down but for a long term vision there definitely aren't enough talent involved in the ME scene.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Only guys on the main roster who could be with the right booking are Bray, Ryback, and Rollins. Only guy in NXT who could be is Apollo Crews. Reigns as a heel MAYBE has a chance, but as a face he's too much of a cornball. And as much as I like Ambrose, I don't see him being able to go as dark or crazy as he would need to be to seem larger than life.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
Crossfit Jesus

Reactions: spikingspud
21 - 40 of 41 Posts