Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the zoo last Saturday. It was my first time in about 5 years. At first I thought that it was going to be awesome to see some animals again but then as soon as I got there I started hating it. It seemed really cruel to the animals in my opinion. I know some people might like going to the zoo to see animals which they usually never would see because they are so far away but this was just wrong.

One little cat was standing in a cage that looked no more than 5 feet wide. It just turned away from the people and just staring at the outside on the other side. Other cats seemed really bored as well. The snakes, alligators, and turtles barely had any room to move in their's. The place seemed really small. There was a baby elephant and it looked bored out of its mind just standing there in the sun. One leopard we came to see looked super angry. There were a ton of kids screaming at him and people taking pictures. He really looked like he did not want to be there and would kill anyone to get out of there if he could. He really did not have any privacy at all.

We came to these monkeys and the two of them that were in their small cage were just lying on their backs on the ground. They seemed bored out of their minds. People were taking a ton of pictures and yelling but the only thing that the little monkey could do was close its eyes and turn away. It was really sad.

Here is a picture that my friend took of it.

These animals are captured and treated as prisoners at these zoos. They use them just for our amusement. It’s a wild animal and they all want to have their freedom and roam around the jungle and forests.

So does anyone else feel the same way when it comes to this? What do you guys think, should we keep them or get rid of them and leave the animals alone?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do like zoos but some of the ones I've been to look awful for the animals.

I also went to a safari park called Long Leat... You drive through a long stretch of fields etc... and see amazing animals.. Giraffes, lions, tigers, rhinos, deers, zebras, monkeys, elephants, etc... Also they had a little boat trip where you go around the island. There I saw a silver back gorilla, hippos and crocodiles. Awesome experience, they come right up to you.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I havent been to the zoo since i can remember, and thats by choice. I dont despise the zoo like i do the circus though, now thats something i never have and never will attend for the rest of my life. I dont care if i had kids and they cried their eyes out to go...it aint happening. So many people in this world are so naive that they think they actually train these animals with peanuts and shit. Death to the circus.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
Depends, some zoos/wildlife reserves are involved in conservation efforts in regards to endangered animals.

I was actually in Dublin Zoo Sunday. I can't say I particularly like zoo's, but it's not really right to say the animals want their freedom. Most of them would have been raised in captivity and be unable to survive in the wild.

Still can't say I enjoy seeing animals confined like that.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Even as a kid I never really liked zoos, I much prefer safari parks which give the animals a much better approximation of their lives in the wild. It's not perfect, afterall, many of these parks are in places with totally different climates but it's better than keeping them in cages, no matter how large.

·
40,592 Posts
The only animals I ever felt sorry for were the large primates like the chimps and gorillas. They're the only ones that might, just might be aware of where they are seeing as they quite intelligent by non human standards. I realized this even as a kid and if I ever go back to the zoo, I won't be visiting the large primates.

Now the other animals, fuck yes, I'm all about them. Especially the snakes and big cats.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
The only animals I ever felt sorry for were the large primates like the chimps and gorillas. They're the only ones that might, just might be aware of where they are seeing as they quite intelligent by non human standards. I realized this even as a kid and if I ever go back to the zoo, I won't be visiting the large primates.

Now the other animals, fuck yes, I'm all about them. Especially the snakes and big cats.
this.. the rest of the animals would only care if they got hurt.. which they arent.. but the primates must be so pissed

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
I was actually at a zoo last week and I think the primates knew they were in captivity and hated it (Gorillas are bad ass motherfuckers by the way), but the other thing is its probably good for some of those animals the ones close to extinction like say Snow Leopards because they are in a protected enviroment. And also if an animal spends its whole life in captivity it is adjusted to living at the zoo and is safer there than if it gets released into the wild.

It is an interesting moral question though.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I was at the Indianapolis Zoo about a month and half to two months ago. There are some animals that I really felt bad for. A polar bar was a prime example of this. When we went to it's area and it saw all the people. It gave everybody the dirtest look, drank some water and laid down in it's cave turning it's back. There was some cheetahs that had were asleep under a bridge too. Don't blame them it was hot as hell that day. Some animals like that I feel bad for because they look really annoyed or just don't want to be there. The desert plains/reptile house is my all-time favorite though.

Never been in one of the safari tour things yet.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I don't think the animals are aware enough to know they are bored. It's not like they are laying there going "fuck I wish I had a tv or xbox right now."
Their brains probably think like "food, food, food, food."

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
Just because animals are lying around doing nothing dosent mean they are unhappy.
Take lions, they only run to hunt, they are being feed by trainers so they have no need to hunt and run around.

Its like people on well fair, they are getting money so they do nothing all day like the animals :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Depends on the zoo really. Some are like prisons, some are more like natural habitats.
This really. I can't condemn all zoos because I know some try their best to recreate their natural habitat and give animals a good place to live that would otherwise struggle in the wild.

But some zoos make me feel really sad. The type that see the animals as assets instead of living creatures - stuck in primitive living space for our entertainment.

When it comes to animals, I always try and imagine how I would feel in the same situation. Like I hate killing spiders or insects because I'd hate it if something 500x my size came along, took a natural disliking towards my form and just squashed me there and then.

Same applies here - if I was an under priveliged kid, I'd happily go to a place where they do all they can to help me, and put me in a nice safe habitat etc etc - but I'd hate the idea of being taken from my house as a kid, flung in a cage and kept there for the amusement of others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts