Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sadly didn't see the Invincible Campaign as I was really quite young but I've heard around that The Invincibles really weren't all that. I fail to believe so So I decided to ask you guys. My mate kept telling me How Eric Cantona was better then Thierry Henry and how Roy Keane was better then Patrick Viera, which I'm not going to believe. He also thinks Scholes is better the Zizou Which baffles me whilst Scholes is class but Zizou is in another League. Yeah so were the Invincibles really overated?

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
sounds like your mate is a overrating Manchester United fan. Invincibles were class, of course you can pick out better teams over the years and better players but they still put together a great season.

·
14,528 Posts
Not really. They weren't overrated. They were one of the best sides in the Premiership history without a doubt. They did draw quite a lot of games though, which probably stops them from being the best side in Premiership history.

Cantona better than Henry? :pique2

Hard to seperate Keane and Vieira. I'd say it's an even battle.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
everyone knows the best team in premier league history was the 2011-2012 chelsea team

they had legends like kalou, bosingwa and MRLSH

and i say that without any bias at all. just like your friend. who probably thinks carrick is world class

:kobe

·
......................... .
7,776 Posts
They were overrated, as they only won the league in that season, knocked out of everything else, and they only got 90 points in that season, chelsea the following season got 95 and lost 1 game, so won 3 more games than arsenal did, and had a better goal difference.

What would arsenal fans take, having a season like united did in 99 or the unbeaten in the league arsenal team?

·
hello
19,594 Posts
Carrick's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than MRLSH tho :jordan2

Keane and Vieira is about even. But as much as I love Scholes and Cantona was a quality player, your mate is a total bellend thinking they're better than Zidane and Henry.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Underachieved, definitely. Basically choked in the Champions League against Chelsea after scoring an away goal and drawing in the first leg without any real problems. Then Wayne Bridge happened in the return leg. Played well against United in the FA Cup, but lost 1-0 and got dumped out of that. Don't even recall the Carling Cup run.

As an Arsenal fan, being a part of that whole run in the league was great...but the home leg of the Champions League quarter-finals still haunts my fucking DREAMS.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
They were overrated, as they only won the league in that season, knocked out of everything else, and they only got 90 points in that season, chelsea the following season got 95 and lost 1 game, so won 3 more games than arsenal did, and had a better goal difference.

What would arsenal fans take, having a season like united did in 99 or the unbeaten in the league arsenal team?
a totally different team performing in a totally different season doesnt make them overrated.

·
14,528 Posts
As an Arsenal fan, being a part of that whole run in the league was great...but the home leg of the Champions League quarter-finals still haunts my fucking DREAMS.
That was so awesome. My friend came over at half time, when I opened the door he pointed at me and shouted Reyes. 45mins later... :jordan

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
They played some of the best football ever seen in the Premiership, and Henry is the GOAT Premiership player in my eyes.

Deserve all the credit they get.

:wenger

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Wouldn't say the Invincibles are overrated at all, only really a couple of occasions they rode their luck over 38 games (Pires penalty v Portsmouth, Van Nistelrooy missed pen, though it'd have been an injustice to lose that game). Recently watched some old DVD's of Arsenal during the 2003/04 and 04/05 season and whilst I can remember some of the moments during that era like it was yesterday, I'd almost forgot the incredible quality of football they played. Watching some of the team goals with quick, one touch passing throughout the team and individual efforts by Pires, Bergkamp and Henry was a sad reminder of just how far we've fallen since then in terms of quality of football as well as success :(

You'd want the trophies, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the better team for achieving more in a different season. Arsenal in 2003/04 were better than Arsenal's Double Winning Teams in 1997/98 and 2001/02, despite winning 1 less trophy.

I never hear Arsenal fans saying the Invincibles Season was the greatest achievement anyway, but it was special, especially with the style in which it was achieved.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I want Gunner to come into the thread and argue that the invincibles were shit because Wenger managed them.

Also Cantona better than Henry :terry

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
lolmao Scholes better than Zidane, he wasn't good enough to lace Zidane's boots. your friend is either a blind utd fan or knows nothing about football whatsoever.
I'd say Vieira was better than Keane and Henry was far better than Cantona too.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I am not a big fan of the "oh if you compare it with "x" season they wouldn't have won" argument.

It's a bollocks argument. Because they did win the title and they did remain undefeated in the league. Saying they would not have won in the same manner the next season is purely hypothetical arguing. By the same token I could day the invincibles would have won every game 10-0 next season and it is no less a hypothetical, apart from being more stupid an example.

I am personally not sure whether the invincibles were the best prem team ever (as they were voted in the 20 year awards) Personally I probably would have gone with the United team with Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez. But I have absolutely no qualms with anyone saying that the Arsenal team of that year was the best. Despite not having the highest points total ever they remained unbeaten, which considering how tough the Prem can be is a really astounding achievement.

O.P Have to say your mate has got the blinkers on. Scholes and Cantona are/were pheneomenal players. I truly believe Zidane/Henry are on a different level.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
To the comment saying Zidane >(>>>>>>>>>>) Scholes, bit odd for such comment especially considering what Zidane himself has said about Scholes. Its easy to not view Scholes in a good light. Manchester United are not the team to control the game, to play an amazing, unique style, especially during his prime year., Therefore, Scholes won't always stick out. But the way he dictates the game, combined with his passes, his timing runs forward and intelligence, hes up there as one of the best playmakers ever.

Thierry Henry is better than Cantona though, and Roy Keane & Patrick Viera are probably equals. No man got the better of the other.

As for Invincibles overrated/underrated, it all depends on the person you ask. Each will have a different reaction. When you consider the amount of draws, it detriments it. Add in their failure in the Champions League. There are better modern sides. Barcelona currently is better, Ajax 95 was just as good. If Manchester United in 1999 had some better central defensive options, their team would of been of a very high quality. A modern Treble in the current Premier League is probably the finest feat in football.

And to praise them, going unbeaten in a Premier League season is unprecedented. Their team was covered in very good players for each role, each position. They benefited from Manchester United once again rebuilding for future success, Chelsea not yet a force, Liverpool still sinking to the bottom of the ocean, like Atlantis.

Great feat, but questions can be asked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts