Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to contribute with another of my smarky, irrelevant, written-in-half-bad-english inputs in a forum-post by the user Biast. The post was (and still is, probably :p) about how people would rate the current storylines in WWE. Even though this sound like a great start for a sober debate concerning the value of storylines in wrestling, it ended as it always did: With people complaining about how the storylines suck, how the overall product value is not-so-great, and probably something bad about Del Rio, Big Show, Sheamus, Cena - take your pick.

But are the current storylines really that bad?

While i do agree the storylines (or the lack thereof) within WWE can be wretched at times, i believe they are getting better (still not great, but maybe we're getting there?). Atleast the main storyline, i.e. The Corporation Storyline is now something worth watching. The quality, depth and complexity of a real tv-series level storyline is something the WWE has missed for years. Many storylines has seemed like made up 5 min before airtime. For example the Hornswoggle anonymous GM storyline (obviously the mac-laptop GM was only there because they got money from Apple by doing so), the Cena/Kane/Ambulance/filler/wtf storyline or every storyline Del Rio has ever been involved in.

But this time it feels like they actually created a thorough storyline-idea, maybe even with a written script - which maybe even was created before the storyline itself began! The storyline basically is the Old vs New / The Oldschool steriotype-view of something (in this case the looks and means of a real Wrestler) vs. a new way of perceiving the world (or the look of a modern day wrestler).

What differs in this feud versa many old WWE feuds is how the people involved are actually playing the characters within the storyline, instead of just being themselves:
Triple H is playing the role of the oldschool authority, who believes his long-lost son Randy Orton is the only rightful Champion; Daniel is the up-and-coming guy who is willing to fight his way up - no matter the cost; Stephanie McMahon has become more and more drunken with power;

The storyline even created sub-plots, like:
The Rhodes/McMahon feud: The Common-family fighting against the rich and powerful family
The Hired Goons: will the shield of justice continue doing all the dirty work?
The Rebellious Roster: how much beating will Dolph, Miz, Kofi take before they step up?
The Rebellious Roster: Big Show Edition: The Big Show versus the authority of Stephanie McMahon
Brad Maddox vs. Vicki the power of the GM position (side-note: is Vicki now a face on Raw, while still heel on Smackdown?? :D)

Isn't storylines like this what makes Wrestling great? Isn't this the kind of "good" storylines that we all have been crying out for? Or am i just the wrong, irrelevant assface who writes in half-bad-english as always? :D

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I don't know who is straight up racist, Vince, the creative team, management, shareholders, or the fans. The fans in the decade know that bald white guys are the saviors. They can relate to them!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You're right, this is the golden era of the WWE. Orton being HHH's long lost son is totally plausible. That means Orton kissed his own mom.

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
you think the main angle is worth watching? there's a fat guy walking around crying, and hogging all the tv time, when the people the crowd likes are reduced to secondary characters. Yeah, totally awesome. *rolls eyes*

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
I think the main storyline is pretty good now. Top notch work from Steph, Show, and Trips ATM. I'm excited for the direction of the Rhodes Bros and whether the Shield will turn face or not. That KO to Trips was epic and built up to masterfully, Daniel Bryaan's little celebration after that was appropriate and he's doing well enough in his role.

Honestly, Im getting really sick of this fickle, impatient and generally shitty "community" we have here. For every five really good posters worth talking to and sticking around for (because no one will talk to me about wrestling irl) there's at least 50 bandwagon, doomsayers who are upset that the show wasn't what they wanted for two weeks out of the month. Fuck them. Fuck our Internet community for totally exaggerating how bad they think everything is right now. I say watch with your browser closed.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
I haven't been entertained by the mainevent angle like this in a really long time.The Corporation Angle has given way to numerous wrestlers getting involved.HHH as usual is doing a fantastic job as a heel.Daniel Bryan is more popular than ever before.Cody Rhodes has become the second most popular wrestler in the company after spending years in oblivion.We have veterans like Big Show and Goldust in the mix as well.Randy Orton has been relevant for the first time in years.The Shield were getting boring and repetitive but now they have a purpose again.Who could have imagined all this just one year ago?Give the angle some time.I remember people criticised HHH's involvement as guest referee at Summerslam.Look what happened.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
They're not as bad as people say they are. The top 2 stories are especially good and Punk-Heyman is watchable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm particularly tired of people pretending like Big Show isn't over because it doesn't fit their view of him as washed-up and boring. The crowd's into his storyline with Steph/HHH more than any other right now.

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
I'm particularly tired of people pretending like Big Show isn't over because it doesn't fit their view of him as washed-up and boring. The crowd's into his storyline with Steph/HHH more than any other right now.
Anybody can get good heat off of Trips and Steph, they're fucking good at what they do. You can put the most unover face on the roster in that position and he would get popped for. Period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody can get good heat off of Trips and Steph, they're fucking good at what they do. You can put the most unover face on the roster in that position and he would get popped for. Period.
Show's carried his weight in this thing too -- after all, he has to sell being anguished over having to do HHH's bidding. Is he overacting? Like a mofo, but the crowd's eating it up. But your argument is not what most people on here are saying. They're saying he's not over, no one cares for him, and no one wants to see him involved in this storyline, which is totally untrue. Your statement more or less admits this.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Main angle is all right. I still feel like they aren't spreading the wealth enough though when it comes to pushing faces. It's all going one direction with a little bit of runoff going a couple others.

Punk/Ryback WAS interesting to me. . .until this week tipped it off that it wasn't actually going to be a fued, and just filler of Punk getting mandatory segment, promo, match, and fueds wins. Ryback and Heyman clearly have no chance of winning the fued. The sooner it's over and the sooner they can move on to someone WWE will book them to at least seem to have a decent chance against, the better. It's way too one-sided to be very interesting.

Rhodes angle would've been better if they didn't keep him off tv this whole time then not involve him in the win on Raw once he got reinstated. Kind of a disappointment now, though that is exactly what I expected to be honest.

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
Show's carried his weight in this thing too -- after all, he has to sell being anguished over having to do HHH's bidding. Is he overacting? Like a mofo, but the crowd's eating it up. But your argument is not what most people on here are saying. They're saying he's not over, no one cares for him, and no one wants to see him involved in this storyline, which is totally untrue. Your statement more or less admits this.
People always put their opinion out there like it's everyone's on this forum all the same.:lol

I don't do that. I don't like Punk, but I'm not gonna say, " Nobody cares for Punk", LOL. How dumb would that make me look?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nothing really grabbing my attention. Bryan/Orton is growing stale as is Punk/Heyman and I didn't mind the Rhodes/Helmsleys one; the match between at BattleGrounds was awesome! Nothing really special though at the moment.

·
From parts unknown
23,262 Posts
There are so many moments this year that will remain etched in memory for a long time that I think WWE has already done a great job of keeping me hooked. I've enjoyed everything they've done thoroughly even though there were times when I too have thought it could've been better. But then, when you think about it, you realize that you feel the same way about *everything you ever watch from hollywood to professional sports to sports entertainment.

At the moment, the storylines are sufficiently entertaining and engaging. I'm still enjoying Bryan's path towards the championship. I don't want to see a repeat of Austin/McMohan part II and they've done enough to ensure that that doesn't happen. Despite my initial reaction, I'm beginning to realize that The Show's involvement in the storyline is beginning to shape up as a big send off to the guy.

Cena's involvement with the WHC immediately elevated it and it's absolutely fantastic to see him coming back and challenging for a belt that many would've considered him never challenging for. It also lets him work with a guy who recently made Ryder look fantastic in the ring. Cena working with a pure wrestler is always entertaining. ADR has been fantastic as a heel recently - especially his exchanges with Vickie and Ricardo.

The Rhodes moment at Battleground was fantastically done despite the fact that everyone knew they weren't going to lose.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much hooked now. Enjoying pretty much all of it.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I think they are great. Of course there's room for improvement but this has been the best year since i don't know when imo

1 - 20 of 33 Posts