Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college student, just completed my first year, and so far I've been surprised with how much work students apply into the classes they pay for.

In my Astronomy class, my teacher posts tests, homework, quiz results, etc online. You can look at your own score and next to that is the class average.

Here are the first four tests and the class average of those:

Test #1 54%
Test #2 70%
Test #3 71%
Test #4 67%
I'll also throw in the final exam class average: 62%

In high school, I thought if one or two students did bad, it is not on the teacher. If the entire class struggled, I'd imagine the teacher has to be blamed. My math teacher always tells our class before a test, "do well because your grade is my grade."

Anyway, do average results from the class make the teacher look bad, or the students?

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,686 Posts
The students are most likely lazy and didn't study/prepare well for the test or just didn't care enough to listen in class and learn anything. I blame it mostly on the students because usually they are the ones that don't care enough about school to pay attention and do well.

·
Banned
3,978 Posts
I'll be honest and say the students, I've grown absolutely lazy lol, I used to get A's and B's straight.. then again, it might be because the teachers were really soft in Middle School, but I'm not proud of my grades in my first year of High school.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Depends. If those professors teach in other classes and gets favorable averages then it might just be your class that sucks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The students are most likely lazy and didn't study/prepare well for the test or just didn't care enough to listen in class and learn anything. I blame it mostly on the students because usually they are the ones that don't care enough about school to pay attention and do well.
Depends. If those professors teach in other classes and gets favorable averages then it might just be your class that sucks.
I was thinking this. Maybe most of the students in that class were not good, coincidentally. But I wasn't expecting a group of students in one college classroom, so that caught me by surprise.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I've been lucky to have had awesome teachers in high school and currently in college. Every once and awhile I get a shit teacher who doesn't care, but for the most part all of my teachers have made being in class an honor, honestly.

For the most part, the students suck. I'll admit, even I suck here in there in school.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's going to depend on the class, the teacher, ect. BUT. I have noticed (at my college, anyway), that it more times than not is the student, not the teacher. I just do not get why someone would go to college, and not bother to try. You have to pass your classes in order to graduate! Even if you have a free ride, and don't have to worry about tuition, if you want to get out of there you best put in at least some form of effort.

I guess I will just never understand people...

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
Both. Blaming one completely excludes fault from the other party. A class is like a machine. It won't work if one part is missing.

·
Winner.
6,631 Posts
Case by case basis. By and large students are just lazy, and as someone who has two assignments that aren't even close to completed due in the next 48 hours, I can attest to this. On the same note, a better teacher can make a world of difference. Many lecturers just recite the lecture notes in an uninspired manner or present their subject material in such a way that it is impossible to follow or be excited by. Other lecturers present things in a logical, thought-provoking way that will keep you interested and encouraged to learn.

Also those test scores aren't bad. Some of my first year engineering subjects had over a 50% fail rate and an average score of <50. One was particularly notorious, I never read the textbook and never paid attention in lectures. I spent two hours a week doing the tut sheet though and got 95%+ on every exam and found the subject a breeze. Can't blame the lecturers for that. Generally people are just lazy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
In college, for the most part, would be students. However my probability teacher blew balls.

I took a glass for example. World Lit, the professor was cool and knew this was just one of the basics we needed for out credits and made the class easy as hell. He said that if 70% of the class showed up 70% of the time any grade 70% or higher was an A, while 50-60% was a B, etc. If not then it would be on a regular grade scale. Funny thing is if you showed up he handed you the note and you didn't even have to read the book, he also let you use the note on the test and you would make an A anyway. Thank god 70% of the class showed up 70% of the time. Needless to say I got an A.

On the other hand my roommate took the class with the same professor, and he didn't get an A, because he skipped the class.

Also at my university, astronomy was the woosy majors physics class, I had to take mechanical and electrical physics as my classes with my math major. My other roommate screwed the pooch on that astronomy class too.

Now grade school education, since I use to teach it, is all the parent's fault.

·
Premium Member
16,728 Posts
Studying is not always easy. The quality of knowledge often depends on who is studying and how much effort he is doing for this. But it is also important that the appropriate, non-proactive attitude of knowledge-assessing teachers is adequate. Adequate assessment is the best motivator for further efforts in learning achievement. But it sometimes happens that there is simply not enough time to get the job done in a quality and structured way. If you have such difficulties, this service Essay Writing Service From Vetted Writers - GradeMiners can help you.
I don't get most bots and rejoiners.

Why would you rejoin just to bring up year old threads (3 of them across this board)?

Not only that, you got me excited because I saw Rush and thought he was back. You're a double bastard!

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's a big difference between a teacher & a professor. Teachers actually teach you the material. Professors are there to introduce the material and answer questions but its really on YOU to learn it. Lets be honest though, Professors are researchers that are forced to run courses on the side (if they dont have Grad students/T.A.s).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It varies because it can be both.
Some teachers are straight awful at their jobs and care nothing more than about the paycheck, or expect WAY too much out of students. Some students also don't care, don't apply themselves, or distract themselves too much with partying and getting laid and make poor studying decisions.

With the teacher for example, I had one in my college for my speech class where no matter how much effort or studying you did, he would NEVER give you an A for your speeches. And his tests were bullshit because alot of questions were things not even in the chapter that you're currently going over. I straight up cheated on one of my tests and still got a low tier B lol.

A girl I know was a single mom, worked 30 hours a week, and went to school full time and she still managed to get straight As. If she can do it, I feel like anyone can as long as they don't have awful teachers.

EDIT: lol I just looked at the date this was posted, wtf.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts