Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the WWE just not care about PPV buys anymore? PPV buy rates have gone down in the last few years. They have dropped significantly since the attitude era (check WWE PPV buy rate archives)

I don't find myself and I read a lot of other people feel that we are not as excited for PPV's as we used to be. I remember back in the day always being excited for nearly every match on a ppv and it's not like that anymore. For me there are lately only 1 or 2 matches I want to see.
The mid-card isn't getting as much emphasis anymore.

Do you think that the mid-card isn't getting much attention because the WWE cares more about selling t-shirts and other merchandise? Is it possible that the WWE just does not care about PPV buys anymore?

If a PPV rolls into town, the tickets go on sale long before we know what the matches will be, so you are going to buy a ticket regardless. So they don't have to worry about not filling seats. As long as the buy the t-shirts they don't care if PPV buy rates have dropped.

I wonder if WWE feels they will get make more money selling tshirts than PPV buys.

If you look at their financial statements for 2nd quarter this year they make twice as much revenue from live events/merchandise as they do buys.
live events/merchandise account for 10 percent of their revenue
PPV accounts for 5 percent of their revenue

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
look at their financial statements on their corporate website, PPV buys don't bring in as much income as does merchandise

WWE is a corporate entity, their job is to make the money for the shareholders and stockholders.

EDIT:
http://ir.corporate.wwe.com/Cache/10871117.PDF?D=&o=PDF&iid=4121687&osid=9&Y=&T=&fid=10871117

go through this and see for yourself

I think this is why people are not excited for PPV's as they used to be. In the old days pre 1999 we were so excited to watch a ppv, it had full card.
on October 19th 1999 the WWE entered the stock market.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No. Because WWE makes so much money in other areas to make up for it.

Does it matter? Yes. Does it matter as much as it may have once mattered? No.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WWE just does not invest in PPV buyrates as much as they used to and I think that's part of why the WWE isn't' as enjoyable anymore.

they know the seats will fill regardless because they go on sale before the buyers know who is on the card (only the wwe does)

·
Registered
621 Posts
But look at how much ppv cost at 50a household every month that's good if they get it. I thinkshould lower the price to 20 every month or every other and c the difference in numbers I bet it's huge.! I love ppv just can't justify 50 a month for something that might waste my time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
WWE just does not invest in PPV buyrates as much as they used to and I think that's part of why the WWE isn't' as enjoyable anymore.

they know the seats will fill regardless because they go on sale before the buyers know who is on the card (only the wwe does)
You're right. It still turns a profit. Why put more money into it when you aren't sure what the result will be? That doesn't sound like a very good risk/reward scenario.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
But look at how much ppv cost at 50a household every month that's good if they get it. I thinkshould lower the price to 20 every month or every other and c the difference in numbers I bet it's huge.! I love ppv just can't justify 50 a month for something that might waste my time.

The price has not changed that much for the last 15 years though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fine shit on me, all i am saying, if you go through their financial statements you can see why most regular pay per views are not that exciting

They do not generate enough revenue for the WWE so the WWE puts their focus on other areas - they don't need to sell ppv's to make money anymore

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
depends what u mean.. "in the past"
previous years.

mostly before 1999 when WWE decided to be a public corporation.

i am an accounting and business student going for my MBA so we study this kind of stuff. I can export the data from their financial statements into Excel and see what co-relates to what.

Am I the only one that isn't as excited for PPVs as they were in the past? getting less excited every year after 1999?

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
People aren't going to pay for something if they can get it for free.

That's why you shouldn't expect an end to the PG era anytime soon. Guys who hang out here just are more likely to stream it then purchase it compared to the Little Jimmies of this world.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
People aren't going to pay for something if they can get it for free.

That's why you shouldn't expect an end to the PG era anytime soon. Guys who hang out here just are more likely to stream it then purchase it compared to the Little Jimmies of this world.
yeah that too.

pre-1999 there was way more build up to the ppv's. and that's what made WWE exciting.

When WWE (WWF) was an indpendant company they could do whatever they wanted, if they wanted to spend more investment on selling ppv buys they could even if it meant investing less in another area that could make them more money. They don't have that choice anymore.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
All WWE cares about is the total profit they end up with. 2011 was one of their most profitable years in quite some time so they really don't care if people buy ppvs or anything like that,as long as WWE makes money then they'll be happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts