Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I think wrestling is broken. Why should fans care?

In the current WWE climate, you've got various superstars who, through twitter, social media and general media, break their character and discuss subjects such as "how they've been booked this year" or "so and so needs a push", yet, the expectation from the company is that you, the fans, should tune in Monday night and suspend disbelief in light of the above and buy into those same individuals as characters at will.

Wrestling was at its best when at least the talent tried to maintain the illusion. Even if you knew it was that.
Kayfabe is long dead though.

Vince's welcome to attitude era spiel shit on kayfabe completely

Also didn't we have the four mainevent guys at Wrestlemania 16 being all buddy buddy on SNL in front of millions of national TV viewers aweek or so before the show.
With the Network reducing the value of each I individual PPV, this would probably be a good thing.
Has it

I mean Wrestlemania has had 4 advance stadium sellouts last four years..first time in history

Rumble has moved to stadiums, survivor series has sold out last couple of years after not coming close in 2010/12 pre network

In 2012 we got Cena vs John Laurinaitis as a ppv mainevent, we also got Cena vs big show and Cena vs Kane as ppv mainevents in 2012. It's not like WWE were going out of their way to present must see b level ppvs in 2010-12 pre network. In 2013 we got same mainevent (Orton vs Bryan) on ppv three times in 5 weeks.

Network hit 2.2 million subs for Wrestlemania 34 and Rouseys debut match, far exceeding number of homes watching most watched Wrestlemania on ppv despite viewership on TV down.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think wrestling is broken. Why should fans care?

In the current WWE climate, you've got various superstars who, through twitter, social media and general media, break their character and discuss subjects such as "how they've been booked this year" or "so and so needs a push", yet, the expectation from the company is that you, the fans, should tune in Monday night and suspend disbelief in light of the above and buy into those same individuals as characters at will.

Wrestling was at its best when at least the talent tried to maintain the illusion. Even if you knew it was that.
you got some who voice displeasure on social media, but in that same breathe you have others who are committed to their storylines and push those storylines through their social media. I understand you want to maintain the illusion the story your trying to tell, but through social media it's not going to work cause the fans are going to harass and treat these wrestler like crap.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Kayfabe is long dead though.

Vince's welcome to attitude era spiel shit on kayfabe completely

Also didn't we have the four mainevent guys at Wrestlemania 16 being all buddy buddy on SNL in front of millions of national TV viewers aweek or so before the show.

Has it

I mean Wrestlemania has had 4 advance stadium sellouts last four years..first time in history

Rumble has moved to stadiums, survivor series has sold out last couple of years after not coming close in 2010/12 pre network

In 2012 we got Cena vs John Laurinaitis as a ppv mainevent, we also got Cena vs big show and Cena vs Kane as ppv mainevents in 2012. It's not like WWE were going out of their way to present must see b level ppvs in 2010-12 pre network. In 2013 we got same mainevent (Orton vs Bryan) on ppv three times in 5 weeks.

Network hit 2.2 million subs for Wrestlemania 34 and Rouseys debut match, far exceeding number of homes watching most watched Wrestlemania on ppv despite viewership on TV down.
I mean, they don't need to convince us to pay $30-50 a month for a PPV now, so if Russo-style weekly TV writing benefit the TV show with higher weekly ratings at the expense of prioritising selling us on a monthly $30-50 PPV, it wouldn't matter as much as it might've in the past.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
-Lack of stories
-Lack of direction
-Lack of ambition from wrestlers, they've just accepted they will never be used correctly
-Lack of explanation for anything ex. Random face/heel turns for no reason

The company will fall flat so long as Vince is calling the shots.

·
Angry at refs
3,131 Posts
Jericho also said that Fandango was going to be a big star because he fought him at wrestlemania... lol
To be fair, Jericho said that as a heel (basically saying he's THAT important that even Fandango will be a star). The failure of Fandango is also on Vince. The dude was over and was booked atrociously. He may not have been main event calibre, but he would've made a good mid-carder.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It feels like it could be a lot of different reasons, but I think one of the biggest is that they killed kayfabe. Too many wrestlers are wrapped up in shit that shows you the real them, so when they are in a segment talking about how they are gonna beat up x person, you're thinking to yourself 'I've seen these two on ride along, and they're best friends'. That just kills every ounce of the authenticity. This is also why we have so many gymnasts, because it's hard to be a character in today's wrestling world. I don't think I knew a single thing about wrestlers real lives throughout my entire time watching it, until the 2010's. This is exactly why CM Punk blew up with his pipebomb, because everyone believed that every, single, word, came directly from his heart. Even after that, his feud and promos vs Cena and HHH, everyone knew there was a lot of truth in those rivalries, so they loved Punk even more. I think it's fine that they all have twitters and such, they're meant to be real people, after all, but they have got to stay in character somewhat, or at least not do totally dumb shit like taking pics with people they're currently in a story with. So, in a way, yeah the stories are a part of why it's not as good as it used to be, but it's because it's hard to have a story when we all know the truth these days. Ah, this person's starting a feud with this guy? Well I've seen them on xaviers youtube channel, so I know they're best friends, and this feud has no realness to it at all. I always knew wrestling was fake during the ruthless aggression era, but at least back then there was some ambiguity when wrestlers faced off with me thinking, "I know it's fake, but he could actually really dislike this dude, and his promos might be actually true".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
There are multiple other problems but yes, this is 100% the main problem.

Look at Bray Wyatt, an actual gimmick and involved in real storylines with continuity. He's the man right now and that's no coincidence, he's incredibly talented and he has an actual character. There is a severe lack of gimmicks right now and only the people who have interesting characters are over. Even Corbin, this guy is going to be the biggest heel in the company within a year, he's taking the lame King gimmick and making it work very well.

Even guys like Aleister and Elias can be megastars if given the chance because they have real gimmicks and characters to build on. Very few wrestlers in WWE have them.

Storylines and characters are what wrestling is about, not just good wrestling.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Storylines and characters are what wrestling is about, not just good wrestling.
Yet, we still don't know why Lana cheated on Rusev. (Oh you cheated on me cause Lashley told me, but wait a second Rusev is a sex addict while I talk about how I'm having hot sex with my new boyfriend.)

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Another underrated aspect is the lack of good commentators. Jim Ross sold the shit out of wrestling back in the day, he'd react to everything in kayfabe and would put over how heinous a heel was or how heroic a babyface was with absolutely no irony or shame. Audience cares more if the commentators care more. That kind of thing sells the stuff. I think Mauro is probably the only guy in the company who comes close to being that kind of hype man, but as we know he has his own issues which probably prevent him from advancing to that status of lead commentator in the company.

Nowadays you have guys like Michael Cole calling matches as if it were PGA events, how is the audience supposed to get excited about that? Lawler can barely get up anymore, and his jokes are seriously dated in 2019.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Another thing.

Why do they insist on making all their wrestler's wear their full ring gear from the moment the show starts? It's just odd knowing Randy Orton is in the main event, however, he's walking around in his trunks and boots at the beginning of the show. Week in, week out, everyone is in ring gear. The exception to the rule is Rollins; he's allowed to wear whatever, but even then his wardrobe choices are monochromatic and frankly quite dull.

Look, there's not a lot you can do when X amount of the talent aren't particularly charismatic, however, something minor like personal clothing choices would significantly help the perception of them as unique. Imagine if Bret Hart just wore his wrestling gear all the show. You'd never see him in those long cut off jeans, hockey shirts and leather jacket.

Let the talent express themselves a little.

Reactions: stylesclash360

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
You mean the guy that nobody liked that hang around the real stars? That´s not something to strive for.
Nah, Syxx was pretty legitimate when he was with the nWo.

It's true at times ole X-Pac was just a +1, but to be fair there was times he well earned it. If anything his being said +1 was probably his own fault. He probably could have did more on his own but he, from appearances, decided to stay in the safe zone with the bigger names.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I wish Lucha Underground hadn't fallen apart. That was what modern day wrestling should be. We all know its fake. So make it into an entertaining show. Go over the top with interesting characters and included cinematic scenes.Two random guys hugging each other while pretending to hurt each other just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
WWE can claim that television viewing is down all across the board, yet we sit here and are suppose to ignore low attendance and low ratings?. From the late 70's, up until the early 2000's WWF/WWE cared about Creative, it was it's most important department. The hardcore fans nor even the casual fans are no longer WWE's main target audience. WWE's main target audience is the stock market, sponsors, merchandise agreements. If SmackDown ratings continue to fall or fail to rise then that record deal for WWE will cause them to hit the panic button if that deal is cancelled or even if SmackDown moves to a different night.

Someone mentioned AEW as being competition, and it is to a certain extent. However, WWE and AEW must realize that new fans no longer give a flying turd about tag-team championships, it's the equivalent to Doubles Tennis, it is meant to mask a weakness.

WWE needs to get rid of the tag-titles on the main rosters. No one is buying that NXT is a third brand when we all know it's the development brand....if you can't develop in the performance center or NXT then gtfo out stop wasting a roster spot by hoping tag-team on the main roster is a saving grace. Just look at AOP, The Revival, they have become jokes.

WWE also has a major problem to the outside world as several titles are no longer appealing in addition to tag-team championships. You can't possibly have synonymous titles....Intercontinental, WWE (World), and Universal....they all mean the same thing, and all three are Heavyweight titles. You had 205 live as its own show trying to claim it was a division of Raw, when in reality those wrestlers were being paid development money, and then we see the Cruiserweight title suddenly become part of NXT?

WWE is trying to attract new fans while trying to claim it has weightclasses on the main rosters and now in development (niche brand)? How do you explain to a new fan that three major titles are the same weight class? It's the fan's job to explain it? terrible marketing. You have Intercontinental on the main roster, but a Continental (North America Champion) in the development brand?

There's no way in the world you can properly market SmackDown and Raw as their own Brands, they are not brands, they are shows. A brand is it's own company, or subsidiary with its own executive management, design, etc.

Sorry, but UFC, Boxing have always had weightclasses, proper weightclasses. You want better marketing, better storylines, better booking? WWE needs to properly define their own damn titles, create better storylines, organized storylines for each weight class, get rid of some titles such as the tag-teams and the comedy title.

WWE needs to hit the reset button on some execs and create a new position called the CCO (Chief Creative Officer) as this branding (CBO) crap and marketing director positions have been a total failure with the EVP of Creative and Live Events.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes, obviously.

Most of the IWC praise NXT. There were many that were on the AEW bandwagon. Neither show can break 1 million viewers.

As bad as WWE is - although I think Raw has been much better if late - it still shows that people want to watch stories and bigger than life characters.

People aren’t drawn to two high school looking dudes chain wrestling, flipping around, and kicking out of high spot after high spot. Every company can offer that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
AEW is good but can't compete with WWE. If AEW did not sign Moxley, Jericho, Omega, the company would be filing a Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I think it's more the old south park line "simpsons did it!" WWE has been around they've done every storyline you can think of, so anything is just a rehash, and like an show when you see old stories rehashed it's less interesting the 2nd of 3rd time around.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts