Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wondering for a long time if the role of General Manager is unnecessary, considering how little they are involved in storylines? For many years we have had General Managers who have only announced upcoming matches or had 1-2 minute backstage segments and interviews per episode. That "guest general manager" phase was interesting, but only because people wanted to see celebrities in WWE ring.

All the way from the late 90s to late 00s we had GMs like Eric Bischoff, Stone Cold, Theodore Long, John Laurinaitis, Stephanie McMahon, Shawn Michaels and Mick Foley (Commissioner) who were involved in major and minor feuds. The current GMs do nothing interesting.

E: Pro wrestling is a soap opera. These guys are telling a story. What's the point of having a General Manager who does not abuse his power or do what's right?

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
It's unnecessary in that you can easily do without one and put on a great show. However, if it's done well it can be one of the better gimmicks in wrestling in my opinion. Mr McMahon, Dario Cueto, that's what it looks like when the GM/owner role is done right. If it just becomes a situation where it's there simply to keep a person on TV like it appears to be at the moment then there's no real need for the position. However, Angle's got a decent storyline so it works with him at the moment. So yes, it's unnecessary if you're not going to use the role in a decent way, if you are it can be a great strength to the show/product.

Reactions: Superkick

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
I have been wondering for a long time if the role of General Manager is unnecessary, considering how little they are involved in storylines? For many years we have had General Managers who have only announced upcoming matches or had 1-2 minute backstage segments and interviews per episode. That "guest general manager" phase was interesting, but only because people wanted to see celebrities in WWE ring.

All the way from the late 90s to late 00s we had GMs like Eric Bischoff, Stone Cold, Theodore Long, John Laurinaitis, Stephanie McMahon, Shawn Michaels and Mick Foley (Commissioner) who were involved in major and minor feuds. The current GMs do nothing interesting.
Speak for yourself. I wanted to see wrestling. Not Nancy O'Dell feign having so much power to do a superstar shake-up.

I'm glad the GM role has diminished. The evil authority figure is played out.
I would get rid of the GMs and just have a commisioner like Foley in 2000.
Eric and Vickie were the best GMs though. Possibly the only goods ones that helped stars get over.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
It's shit cause either the heel GM is overbearing or the face GM gets emasculated or turns heel & becomes overbearing

The guest GMs were shit, the anonymous GM thing was the death though..

·
Hardcore Casual
2,284 Posts
They are completely unnecessary. In general, these pseudo-authoritarian figures--from Gorilla Monsoon and Jack Tunny, Shawn Michaels and Mick Foley, all the way through to today's General Manager's--are just used as a lazy prop to drive the plot. The only legitimate authority/anti-hero storyline was MacMahon and Steve Austin, which came about as an organic heel turn for Vince post-screwjob and Austin's massive popularity. Simply inserting these faux authority figures into storylines is boring, rehashed and lazy writing.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Speak for yourself. I wanted to see wrestling. Not Nancy O'Dell feign having so much power to do a superstar shake-up.

I'm glad the GM role has diminished. The evil authority figure is played out.
I would get rid of the GMs and just have a commisioner like Foley in 2000.
Eric and Vickie were the best GMs though. Possibly the only goods ones that helped stars get over.
Personally I didn't really care about the guest General Managers, but I guess WWE tried to make them themselves more relevant by bring in celeb GMs. Sure It was interesting to see Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne as GM, but they were not "real" general managers.

I don't care if the GM is heel or face, but I don't understand why do they have a role for General Manager if the GM does absolutely nothing?

Eric, Vickie, Ace and Steve Austin did amazing job as General Managers because they were involved in storylines.

E: Stephanie McMahon and Triple H were not General Managers.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Always hated GM's. The whole show seems to be focused on them not the wrestlers which gets nobody over. Makes everything worse because everyone knows Vince is really in charge not the fake tv gm.

I think the lack of focus on Kurt angle as gm up to this point has helped raw massively but now with the big storyline coming up I expect half the show to be about Kurt angle from here to Summerslam.

If it was me I would never have another gm, HHH/Stephanie/Vince holding down talent or faction war-fare storyline in wwe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
General Managers give structure to the show, they are necessary. But it's only entertaining when the GM is a heel, babyface authority figures are boring and should only be short-term (like Stephanie in 02-03)

Bischoff's heel run as GM was great.

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Its a necessary part of the universe. I mean its a sports league and SOMEBODY has to be in charge of the banana boat.

But as I have said before, I miss the Jack Tunney days when we would only see him when a big announcement was made or if a key decision had to be made to settle a controversy. Having them on TV every week just to make matches is overkill.

·
Molly Mayhem on your doorstep at 3am
845 Posts
Nothing is REALLY necessary in wrestling, especially today. I mean, If you removed the wrestlers themselves from the shows these days; nobody would even notice.

·
Banned
15,464 Posts
It's a complete myth the WWE have written themselves into that you need a General Manager or any sort of authority figure. Wrestling can run smoothly without one, and when you do have a Vince McMahon or Triple H show up, you can make it feel special and heavyweight, instead of it being a routine part of every show. Plus, right now, you have a Commission and a General Manager on each show. That's completely redundant.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I would like to see Raw and SD not have aby form of Authority for a couple of months and see how it does. There would be more carnage which is great for TV. Plus when GM's come out of nowhere to stop a conflict, and then just book a match really quickly its real annoying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The whole General Manager concept just needs to go, it takes away attention from the actual wrestlers and make the whole show so formulaic. Everything has to go through and revolve around the gm and then they feud with someone and get tossed out. It's been the exact same thing for basically two decades and the only people who have ever made it work are Vince, Vickie, and Dario Cueto. Just give kayfabe booking power to some offscreen board or commission that makes announcements through the commentators or the company's social media. If anything really controversial happens, just have Triple H or one of the McMahons show up like Jack Tunny and sort it out like an actual executive would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
The whole General Manager concept just needs to go, it takes away attention from the actual wrestlers and make the whole show so formulaic. Everything has to go through and revolve around the gm and then they feud with someone and get tossed out. It's been the exact same thing for basically two decades and the only people who have ever made it work are Vince, Vickie, and Dario Cueto. Just give kayfabe booking power to some offscreen board or commission that makes announcements through the commentators or the company's social media. If anything really controversial happens, just have Triple H or one of the McMahons show up like Jack Tunny and sort it out like an actual executive would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them go to the format WCW was using for a while in the 90s. Announce the matches (or at least participants) at the top of the show, then have someone occasionally to set matches, but not in long drawn-out segments, just as a confirmation that the match is on. You can still have all the segments in-between, but no more power struggle bullshit. We've seen that far too many times at this point.

I know it's kind of trite to say this, but SmackDown's actually done this pretty decently. DB and Shane usually just show up to announce matches, then get the fuck out of the way. The less emphasis on them, the better.

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
From a kayfabe perspective it's nice to know who's making the matches :draper2

I think the main problem with the General Manager character is they've become so cut and paste, and... sorry Bryan I love ya... but there hasn't been a really REALLY good general manager in a LONG time in part because of that.

No one's brought anything new or interesting to the role in well over a decade... that's not good in ANY character, nevermind a wrestling character.

·
Banned
25,988 Posts
The main problem is the fact that they've run the concept INTO THE GROUND. At this point, they'd be better off just having the "board of directors" make matches behind the scenes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd rather they have one so the roster has someone to get mad at when they are booked badly. Like Miz berating Shane and Bryan. If that promo was directed at Vince it would just be another pipebomb. Other than that it's not really needed, when there has been no GM the show has functioned just as well, so they clearly aren't necessary.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts
In a different environment they could be better, we all know Steph and Hunter are just waiting in the wings to swoop in at their heart's desire so it really does diminish the position on Raw. Dbry does a fair job on Smackdown because him and Shane don't trip over each other, but they are also shown to have differing opinions. It's in the balance of screentime versus the talent and what decisions they're actually being shown making.

It does also need to be noted the whole "wrestlers even as low as jobbers can just seem to book their own matches at will" routine that keeps being played does also diminish the GM role a bit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts