Wrestling Forum banner

Are "finishing moves" actually becoming more detracting from matches?

• Yes, they are putting too much emphasis on finishers and not enough on the matches finish.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, the WWE is doing just fine, I want most matches to end with a finishing move!

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching "The True Story of Wrestlemania" and a few things caught my attention, but one thing in particular was some of the earlier matches like Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat where someone wasn't actually pinned straight off of a finisher. So, I began to think about some of the other matches I had seen that ended similarly. A few came to mind. Bret Hart pinning The British Bulldog off of a Superplex. Bret Hart again pinning Steve Austin when Austin had him in The Million Dollar Dream. Not surprising, I can't remember very many in the last 4-5 years. It seems as if The WWE is presenting these finishing moves almost like they are the pyro and the entrance music. Just look at all the windups being added to finishers like Edge's spear. Even Shawn Michaels towards the end was putting a whole lot of emphasis on the Superkick. You look at the match with Ric Flair at Wrestlemania. It seems as if now the majority of the matches are built around these finishing moves.

However, in my opinion, this detracts from the matches more than it enhances them. And this is not to say that these moves should be used much less. Not saying that at all. But more like throw in some variety to the finishes to make the matches more difficult to guess. Particularly when you have so many guys with weak finishers.

For example, If I watch a match and I see someone do a Superplex, I know that there won't be a pinfall after this. Yet, more often than not, there is a baiting pin after big moves like this. 10-15 years ago, you might have been on the edge of your seat if you saw someone get pinned off of a Superplex, but now you don't even think about it. And that Superplex more often than not looks more brutal than most finishers. Same thing with the roll up and small packages, you just don't expect to see someone lose to that move, even the mid-carders.

I think it has also played a large part in why they have had to hype the shit out of the big matches over the years like Undertaker/Shawn Michaels and now Undertaker/Triple H. Because the mid card which is where they could have really been working this type of match, much like Savage/Steamboat, have basically just become clones of what we have seen thousands of times before. Nobody is expecting anything different. I mean if Undertaker/Shawn Michaels isn't on the last 2 Wrestlemania cards, how many people really order Wrestlemania? I mean, was anybody expecting Rey Mysterio and CM Punk to throw out a classic? Shaemus and Triple H?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.