Wrestling Forum banner

Are current wrestlers too muscular ?

6689 Views 46 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Ovidswaggle
I just saw a old match of Rey Mysterio and he seems nowadays far beefier and bulky.

His debut :

Do you have the impression that most wrestlers became too muscular and do too much bodybuilding ?

I believe we lack quick and agile looking wrestlers or simply diverse body types, too many muscle and weight can be bad for agility and make WWE look like "muscle mary bathouses". I won't speak steroids, the growing lack of quick matches with technics and impressive moves or about the departure of Rey Mysterio and the jobbing of Evan Bourne.

They are muscular, but no more athletic and able to be agile or quick. During 80's and 90's, muscular wrestlers were both muscular and real athletes.
Reactions: SPCDRI
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Banned
266 Posts
LoL,they never looked smaller.Since when do you watch wrestling?Rey is not bulky,he is simply fat and plump.

· Registered
384 Posts
Yeah I know what you are saying and this will probably go back to the whole Cruiserweight division. But I agree, I like fast paced matches and constent counters and counter-counters! But I don't think the company as whole is too muscular, that's just the way the business has gone! Mean Gene was right about Rey though, we did hear a lot more about him!

· Registered
134 Posts
It's well know Vince likes big guys. Yeh I'd like to see a return of a lightheavyweight divison of some sort, but it's never going to happen. IMO wrestlers should like athletes, I'm not saying they have to be huge roided bodybuilders but they should look like they at least train. Take William Regal for example, I know great a technician/worker he is but he looks like if sprinted over 40 yards he'd have a heart attack. I know not everyone one will agree, and yes i'll admit that there lots of great workers out there that look out of shape and are fine, I think if wrestling wants to hang on to "sport side" of the industry (lol like that'll happen) wrestlers should look like athletes.

Just my 2p.

· Banned
266 Posts
One of the first matches I watched on TV was Pat Patterson fighting in an alley versus Sgt. Slaughter. :rolleyes:
If you did,then you would know how wrestlers in the 80s and 90s looked.

Oh,and i watched wrestling since Inoki was fighting Muhammad Ali fpalm

9,981 Posts
You think they're muscular NOW?

It's 2011, much less people are on steroids, and you've got plenty of smaller guys around (punk, danielson, even miz)

Now go watch some wrestling from the 80's. Pretty much each wrestler had to be at least 250 lbs back then.

You could tell nutrition was complete shit back then though, because even if you look at guys like Hulk Hogan and Don Muracco, they were fucking JACKED but still had a lot of loose skin and body fat. Look at how powerhouses looked back in the 80's compared to today. Lots of advancement in exercise and nutrition.

· Banned
266 Posts
They were much more muscular in the 80's and early 90's than now.

Hell, look at Orton who is the #2 "star" in the company. Dude is a twig.

I think he's pushing the viper gimmick to far with anorexic physique,shaven head and fuckloads of baby oil,he's starting to look like a well lubed dildo.Back in the day when he won WHC guy was freakin jacked.I don't know did he lose muscle on purpose or he's just too lazy for workout but its starting to look ridicilous

Reactions: SPCDRI

· Banned
266 Posts
I know how they looked, but they were true athletes, quick and agile, unlike the current bodybuilders. By the way I saw Inoki-Ali too ;)
LoL,what,you're trippin man,they were ALL 260 pound meatheads who moved stiffer then my morning glory.

· Banned
10,885 Posts
They're getting SMALLER, not bigger. 10 years ago the likes of Punk, Bryan, Kofi and Rhodes wouldn't be fit for jobber status in the WWE. Ever since the Benoit tragedy WWE's been hiring small guys like crazy in an attempt to appease those that criticised them for steroids and drug use etc.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LoL,what,you're trippin man,they were ALL 260 pound meatheads who moved stiffer then my morning glory.
They're getting SMALLER, not bigger. 10 years ago the likes of Punk, Bryan, Kofi and Rhodes wouldn't be fit for jobber status in the WWE. Ever since the Benoit tragedy WWE's been hiring small guys like crazy in an attempt to appease those that criticised them for steroids and drug use etc.
So why do they seem more robotic, slower or clumsier nowadays :confused: ?

· Banned
266 Posts
So why do they seem more robotic, slower or clumsier nowadays :confused: ?
Because they are mostly FCW frat boy clones who learned only dropkick's,leapfrogs and armdrags.There is by far fewer experienced world wrestlers in WWE today.Before you had guys who wrestled years and years all over the world in a far more demanding style then WWE's,you dont have that today,bar few exceptions like Danielson,Punk,etc.

· Banned
906 Posts
I think he's pushing the viper gimmick to far with anorexic physique,shaven head and fuckloads of baby oil,he's starting to look like a well lubed dildo.Back in the day when he won WHC guy was freakin jacked.I don't know did he lose muscle on purpose or he's just too lazy for workout but its starting to look ridicilous
Not taking steroids all year round will do that to you.

· Banned
266 Posts
Not taking steroids all year round will do that to you.
I never took roids and i look by far better then him,just whey,creatin and daily gym/amateur wrestling.Ziggle ris not on roids and look how great he looks,its all about nutrition and workout.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
You are mental, just mental. A lot of the stars look smaller now than they did back in the day. Ever since Benoit and some other stings involving performance enhancing drugs the wrestlers are looking more and more like natural people.

Built athletes who train and eat right, but not musclebound chemical freaks. Look at the people who were used the last year or so: People like Morrison, Mysterio, Daniel Bryan, the Miz, Orton now, Edge, Christian, Jericho, Punk, Barrett, McIntyre and so on. They are 6 foot tall muscular athletes but I don't think they are roid users or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.