Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel it's appropriate to take a moment and appreciate just how good of a commentator Michael Cole has been over the last 13 or so years. All I ever see on here is criticism and frankly he doesn't deserve it. He's not J.R and no one will ever be as good as he was, but Cole is a very deserving second best of all-time and needs to be recognized for his work I feel.

It doesn't help that he's been paired with the past-it Jerry Lawler, boring Josh Matthews and the worthless Booker T in recent times, but he himself does an excellent job.

Not that this is relevant to his commentating skills but the fact that he got himself ridiculously over as a heel character and became the shows biggest draw for 2 months last year says it all about the depth of his talent.

It seems that a lot of the IWC 'smart'-marks still won't forgive him for saying in character that their hero and idol Daniel Bryan wasn't the GOAT.

·
Banned
741 Posts
i agree with you, besides him being the shows biggest draw, that's the most untrue thing ive heard since daniel bryan being the GOAT

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
No... That's all.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Michael Cole is and always has been a terrible commentator.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't think that Michael Cole is really all that bad.
He isn't great,but I think he is a decent commentator.
I actually like the guy and I find him entertaining on commentary;his stuff with Josh Matthews on NXT was hilarious.

IMO he is a better commentator than Booker T,Josh Matthews,and even Jerry Lawler.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Cole's quality of commentating seems to depend entirely on who the colour commentator with him is. I'll run it down:

With heel King/Heyman (1999-2002) - Pretty good
With Tazz - Awesome
With JBL - Awesome
With heelish Coach - Terrible
With Foley - Mediocre
With face King - Horrible
With Matthews on NXT - Hilarious
With Booker/Matthews - Varies between passable and horrible depending on who or what he's talking about.

Cole works best as a face getting pissed off at an obnoxious heel colour commentator. That's the formula they should be going for. If I was WWE I'd turn Cole face and replace Lawler on Raw with a heel Matt Striker or throw money at JBL to return.

·
Registered
21,660 Posts
...wait Michael Cole is a good commentator? Wow, I never realised I don't like good.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Cole is one of the main reasons I like watching wrestling again.

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts
I feel it's appropriate to take a moment and appreciate just how good of a commentator Michael Cole has been over the last 13 or so years. All I ever see on here is criticism and frankly he doesn't deserve it. He's not J.R and no one will ever be as good as he was, but Cole is a very deserving second best of all-time and needs to be recognized for his work I feel.

It doesn't help that he's been paired with the past-it Jerry Lawler, boring Josh Matthews and the worthless Booker T in recent times, but he himself does an excellent job.

Not that this is relevant to his commentating skills but the fact that he got himself ridiculously over as a heel character and became the shows biggest draw for 2 months last year says it all about the depth of his talent.

It seems that a lot of the IWC 'smart'-marks still won't forgive him for saying in character that their hero and idol Daniel Bryan wasn't the GOAT.

Seriously, I love Booker T on commentary. Cole is good at his job but Booker is way more entertaining and so was Striker.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its funny, I was totally on the fuck-Cole bandwagon. Then there was that week that Lawler wasn't there and I flipped instantly. I'm down for Cole, but he needs someone entertaining to play off of.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I like him, but he can't sell anything for shit. Jesus would rise and karate chop batman's dick off and all he would say is "Oh my!"

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Cole is one of the main reasons I like watching wrestling again.
I would make some comment about how you must be crazy or just let somebody else do it, but, i can believe you mean this, you do don't you? There is another forum i read with discussion on wrestling and they have a MC fanclub or something, weird.

I want to like Cole but he has so many bad points, i see why they have him and he serves some purposes i suppose, but i would love him to improve. He does make me laugh sometimes, his attitude suits certain situations when he pitches it right. Would a face turn help? I think he just needs the right team, and to tone some things down, anything to make him more bearable, he is marginally recently. I know he's only doing his job, i think this makes him more unlikable, as we know he is just a lackey. Alot of people genuinely hate him so he's doing something right, too often though they have legitimate reasons.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts