Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19,965 Posts
It will be a bit of everything. Tony Khan is the captain of the ship and has final say on everything. Another reason why the "power struggle" conspiracy is absurd.
Vince has final say in WWE. Hasn't stopped the opinion that HHH and Dunn don't like each other and that Dunn is gone whenever Trips and Stephanie take over

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of rumors being reported as fact in any scenario. I haven't really been following the WWE or WWE news for a while but if I were, I'm sure I'd hate this Brock Leanar/Matt Riddle thing too.

One thing to note is that Meltzer has a relationship with The Young Bucks, so he might actually have inside information on AEW, instead of having to make shit up or make intelligent guesses, like he occasionally likes to do.
While Meltzer has an inside track with The Elite, he is also misled by them a lot. He's printed some ridiculous things that has come from their camp, and he gives them the benefit of the doubt in situations where that doesn't really make sense.

Big ones are how he slants AEW as being run by geniuses with genius plans for months and months. You don't have to be down on the promotion to see how things have been chopped, changed, pulled and pushed in different directions. Joey Janela vs. Shawn Spears? Shawn Spears and "his" Inner Circle? Pac vs. Hangman. Pac vs. Omega. Omega is the ace, now he's in a slump, now he's winning again, now he's in another slump, now he's a Tag Team Champion. Britt Baker random heel turn. Hangman Page random heel turn -- oh no, wait on that one. The Dark Order. The Nightmare Collective. This isn't me being an asshole about them -- those are inconsistencies on their television.

Another is them not really trying to get Randy Orton because they are sensible with money. This is after Tony Khan made a post blasting Orton for using AEW to get leverage for a WWE deal. But if they weren't trying to get Orton that hard, how could Orton go to Vince with anything that is going to be considered leverage, considering he was already on, what? $2.5 million? This was clear bullshit and either Meltzer has no problem just coming out and slandering a guy for being a money-hungry grub that overrates himself, or (and I think this is more likely), he was fed a load of crock by a couple of immature Executive Vice Presidents talking about how the grapes are sour.

He's also taken their side in the New Japan story, not giving any focus or credence to the New Japan perspective. Four of your contracted wrestlers use your resources to run what they turned into an unofficial pilot to lure a billionaire in, and then used their platform in New Japan to promote it. Given the statements from Omega and The Bucks, we also know that they were negotiating with New Japan and WWE right up until the very end, whereas Meltzer reports that they gave notice to New Japan and let them know they were leaving months ago. Yet New Japan still had the IWGP Heavyweight Title on Omega, Japanese insiders thought he was staying (Fumi Saito) and the original plan, as per Meltzer, was for Omega to retain the belt. Uh, what? Now New Japan are unhappy with Omega because...why? According to Meltzer it is because they are stubborn assholes. That makes total sense, right?

Sorry to get so long there, but I just want to demonstrate how Meltzer's bias and inside track with The Elite can poison the well of information. The Elite basically get to have whatever story they want to tell published.

We are all the same guy and you've worked out the mystery. No way could 5-6 people in a country of over 20 million people ALL dislike AEW. It MUST be The Wood making multiple fake accounts [/sarcasm]
Brother Chip just dropped the leg, brother, brother!

Disliking it is one thing. Disliking it for exactly the same reasons and using exactly the same phrasing is another.

As for that other stuff, those are your words, not mine.
It's almost like there are valid and logical reasons for not being completely enamoured with the product AEW are putting out. Hmm.

It will be a bit of everything. Tony Khan is the captain of the ship and has final say on everything. Another reason why the "power struggle" conspiracy is absurd.
I don't get how this is supposed to resolve issues. Parents picking favorite kids never leads to drama, right? You are still dealing with the competition of ideas, clashing metrics, jealousy, etc. Tony Khan is also kind of a deer in the headlights with this thing too. A lot of wishy-washy "we shouldn't have been so silly for the first six months" kind of stuff from him. No shit, Tony. Did you maybe want to get onto that six months ago? It seems that he just lets them do whatever they want. Dynamite is like three different shows in one. He's not doing a great job giving it one unified vision so far.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have you noticed that almost every Australian user on this forum has the exact same arguments, writing style, and opinion? I don’t even agree with my family so much.
I guess Aussie fans are passionate like the UK fans are.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I don't wanna copy that long ass post but Dave Meltzer is definitely a much bigger shill for NJPW than he is for AEW.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I don't wanna copy that long ass post but Dave Meltzer is definitely a much bigger shill for NJPW than he is for AEW.
He's a shill for the Elite because they're the only people who are still friendly with him in the business

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Maybe in terms of match quality, but he is politically 100% behind AEW even over New Japan. His dream is for New Japan to work with them so he can put all his eggs in that one basket.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,318 Posts
Actually, that would be 100% why the power struggle makes sense.

How many times have we heard the stories of Dixie Carter getting worked by the boys to get creative to go their way.

Wrestlers work people, I don't think that makes them bad, but politics is a big part of wrestling, and when you look at dynamite, you can see not everyone is on the same page.

Omega is influenced by DDT, the Bucks are influenced by PWG, Cissy is influenced by NWA, and Khan is an admitted ECW mark.

There is no wonder how different ideas might make a small rift amongst them

It doesn't prove there is a huge rift, but it does prove there isnt no rift

·
Registered
12,446 Posts
Seems like Whatculture is being really clickbait-y here.

If there really are sides being drawn here, then I side with whoever canned the nightmare collective.

That being said, I think it is irresponsible for a "journalist" to treat rumours as if they were fact. TBH I think Dave Meltzer already does too much of that as it is.
The issue would be that he would do this if it was the WWE rumors, but not AEW though. And we all know why he wouldn't want to do this with AEW

·
Registered
444 Posts
wait did they really just cancel nightmare collective out of the blue with no fuckin explanation,NOTHING?! that's beyond pathetic if tru lol. and people hate on vince when he does exact same thing,treatin his audience like imbeciles (which they are mostly tbh) and insultin erryon'es intelligence

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,318 Posts
And out of those different philosophies which ones are they? You’ve got to choose one.
I think that Omega's philosophy is the one that wins out the most.

He is their most marketable star in their eyes, and the fan's. You had Bryan Alvarez basically saying here could become a Hulk Hogan/Steve Austin level star before this started.

Keep in mind, Cody IMO doesn't have the same pull with Khan Omega does, because outside of here, he has never been THE top guy. Omega has. That makes a significant difference in the eyes of a guy who admits Dave Meltzer helps him form a lot of his opinions

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians, eh? Khan should just bench these 'EVPs'. Keep Omega and Rhodes as talent and fire those awful looking flip floppers back to the indies with their pubic facial hair.

Although Rhodes seems to enjoy the 'power' a tad too much.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think that Omega's philosophy is the one that wins out the most.

He is their most marketable star in their eyes, and the fan's. You had Bryan Alvarez basically saying here could become a Hulk Hogan/Steve Austin level star before this started.

Keep in mind, Cody IMO doesn't have the same pull with Khan Omega does, because outside of here, he has never been THE top guy. Omega has. That makes a significant difference in the eyes of a guy who admits Dave Meltzer helps him form a lot of his opinions
Alvarez is an idiot..

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Alvarez is someone that grates me when he is so sure about something he is so clearly wrong about. He'll get on a high horse and call people idiots and geeks, even blocking people on Twitter for having negative AEW opinions (not just talking about Haphazard, or whatever that user's name is -- he's bragged about on his radio show). But when it comes to reporting some things, he's so clearly out of the loop on things.

It was obvious what NXT was doing at the start and he didn't click on and kept asking "Why aren't they promoting NXT on Raw? Idiots!" It was because you don't get too many shots at that, and they were waiting for AEW to cool. I saw it playing in real time and called it. You don't need to be a fucking genius.

This is the guy who helped author The Death of WCW, and he is basically doing very similar things to what those who kept saying "WCW is fine" did in the 90s.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If everyone in charge agreed with each other than nothing would get better.

However they shouldn’t be so quick to pull the plug on ideas, they need to give their performers some rope.

Nightmare Collective for example had potential.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
If everyone in charge agreed with each other than nothing would get better.

However they shouldn’t be so quick to pull the plug on ideas, they need to give their performers some rope.

Nightmare Collective for example had potential.
You don't need to start off shit to get good. And no, the Nightmare Collective did not have potential.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts