Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If it’s true it is fair game to comment on.
It's to be expected, that's why they said don't go into business with friends, just growing pains, if it's true hopefully they can get on equal footing on whatever issues the EVP has.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,246 Posts
Seems like Whatculture is being really clickbait-y here.

If there really are sides being drawn here, then I side with whoever canned the nightmare collective.

That being said, I think it is irresponsible for a "journalist" to treat rumours as if they were fact. TBH I think Dave Meltzer already does too much of that as it is.
90% of the shit WON reports on is rumors, why would Dave draw a line in the sand here? We can talk about what Brock was rumored to have said to Matt Riddle but talking about a possible conflict amongst AEW's booking team is beneath us?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
It's to be expected, that's why they said don't go into business with friends, just growing pains, if it's true hopefully they can get on equal footing on whatever issues the EVP has.
There was always going to be a high risk of something going wrong. You've got too many people with too many different philosophies and fundamental differences at individuals in positions of power. Groups of people like that never agree 100%. Friends end up fighting. It would be naive to expect clear seas 100% of the time.

90% of the shit WON reports on is rumors, why would Dave draw a line in the sand here? We can talk about what Brock was rumored to have said to Matt Riddle but talking about a possible conflict amongst AEW's booking team is beneath us?
If it's anything that can be perceived as negative about AEW, there are certain camps that are going to want it ignored or swept under the rug.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,089 Posts
If Omega actually cancelled the Nightmare Collective, he just became the biggest babyface in my eyes.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
You guys do know that all the vps are clearly building a on screen storyline of a dismantle of them creating a split of face and heels between them all

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Also, they don't work people like that. If Omega and The Bucks were doing a storyline where they were developing personal issues, they would go on BTE and make fun of the storyline of them developing personal issues and let everyone know that the chair was gimmicked. People must surely know that about these guys by now. They think it's "carny" to not remind people it's fake every 15 seconds.

And what is the benefit to working people in that sense? WCW used to try and "work the boys." What's the point of that? Leaking fake tension stories is just going to risk people becoming disillusioned with the promotion itself. And it's not like this backstage tension is even being presented on-air. If anyone believes it, it's because they're smart, in which case why would they fucking believe it?

This is like when people thought Dean Ambrose leaving was a "work." Why? What does WWE get out of promoting another company only to have a guy stick around and end up in exactly the same place as he was? It was lunacy. Just like when people thought Omega was "working" when he was taking shots at NXT and Dominic Dijakovic. Oh yeah, just when is that Kenny Omega vs. Dominic Dijakovic match taking place? And how did that Kenny Omega heel run go? Oh wait...

People just know that wrestling is fake so they call everything a work even when it doesn't make sense for it to be. They don't want to be seen as letting their guard down for just one second and being caught by something. They also use it to excuse childish behavior or backstage issues with these Elite guys. It can't just be that Kenny Omega has a case of arrested development after living in an otaku fantasy for most of his adult life, could it? No, he's got to be a dickhead on purpose, because the guy who has got no problem throwing pulled kicks at little girls can't genuinely be an asshole. The Young Bucks can't be pretentious little gits who can dish it out but can't take it, they've got to be working people into thinking they are cracking under pressure.

If there was any money to be made out of a company falling apart at its seams, I might buy into stories about these guys clashing being a work. Since there is none, I don't. That being said, I don't necessarily buy the story. I think everyone in AEW is so fucking in love with themselves and have such low vision that I think they think everything anyone does in that promotion is awesome. I see it as a giant lovefest and esteem building exercise. Things will only start to fall apart when the wheels come off. When they start losing viewers, start losing to NXT in a way that no one can spin, their PPV business goes to shit, they can't hide the size of their crowds from the cameras and fingers need to start being pointed. Because that is when a diagnostic will be performed, and there will be guys who will allocate blame and others that will wear it either with pride or a lack of responsibility that cracks friendships.

Right now, if anyone is upset, I actually imagine it being Cody, because I think he is smart enough to see the money left on the table with their TV deal. I think he also would like to have surrounded himself with more stars that he could work a serious style with. He's running out. I also think he is the most "all in." I don't think he ever wants to swallow his pride and go back to the WWE. Personally, and this is just mere speculation, I think Omega and The Bucks have inked deals that have made them rich, provided them with executive benefits, and they're taking this thing for a ride and don't care where it goes. I honestly believe that. Omega is 36 and The Bucks are a bit younger, but they cannot keep doing their style forever -- and none of them learnt how to properly work. And don't deny that the pace and spectacle to their work isn't what draws people to them. If anyone is jealous, it will be the exposed bookers whose creative shit has kind of been universally panned. That could crack some fissures.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Suppose its true. Kenny Omega, who is in charge of womens division, pulled the plug on yet another dark cult group that just wasn't working... how is that even power struggle? He did everyone a favor and put his foot down on it. I'm sure no one was against it, except maybe Brandi because she started it.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Suppose its true. Kenny Omega, who is in charge of womens division, pulled the plug on yet another dark cult group that just wasn't working... how is that even power struggle? He did everyone a favor and put his foot down on it. I'm sure no one was against it, except maybe Brandi because she started it.
I guess it depends what the issue is, Cody's segments are more serious, does he want that tone across the whole show? Do the Bucks want it more funny and cartoony across the board? depends who has an issue with what.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of rumors being reported as fact in any scenario. I haven't really been following the WWE or WWE news for a while but if I were, I'm sure I'd hate this Brock Leanar/Matt Riddle thing too.

One thing to note is that Meltzer has a relationship with The Young Bucks, so he might actually have inside information on AEW, instead of having to make shit up or make intelligent guesses, like he occasionally likes to do.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This isn't new information though. Jericho has held backstage meetings due to wrestlers being so amateur on screen such as the tag teams not actually tagging and too much emphasis on the free bird role.

JR buried a lot of talent in the beginning and called them out on their Indie style, saying they need to tone it down.

Their dark Order storyline has been mismanaged from the start to the point where they don't actually have a leader of the group signed up.

Kenny has buried their Nightmare collective storyline which has pissed off Brandi and Codi.

Now Tony Kahn is stepping up more in the booking and writing.

Bischoff and Russo have offered their services.

.... and to think they're apparently writing 6 months of storyline a in advance.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you noticed that almost every Australian user on this forum has the exact same arguments, writing style, and opinion? I don’t even agree with my family so much.
We are all the same guy and you've worked out the mystery. No way could 5-6 people in a country of over 20 million people ALL dislike AEW. It MUST be The Wood making multiple fake accounts [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We are all the same guy and you've worked out the mystery. No way could 5-6 people in a country of over 20 million people ALL dislike AEW. It MUST be The Wood making multiple fake accounts [/sarcasm]
Disliking it is one thing. Disliking it for exactly the same reasons and using exactly the same phrasing is another.

As for that other stuff, those are your words, not mine.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
My sources say Tony Khan is looking to purchase 44.33% of Disney and his dad called him a money mark

or is that Mickey mark? My sources weren’t clear

edit> Marky mark?

John Cena confirmed!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I guess it depends what the issue is, Cody's segments are more serious, does he want that tone across the whole show? Do the Bucks want it more funny and cartoony across the board? depends who has an issue with what.
It will be a bit of everything. Tony Khan is the captain of the ship and has final say on everything. Another reason why the "power struggle" conspiracy is absurd.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts