Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard plenty of arguments against these two guys that they'll "never make it" for various reasons of their own. And obviously, there's of course what's probably a good number of people who DO believe that they'll make it, but this thread isn't addressing them.

Would anyone who believes this please tell me why they were given a good amount of time on RAW, and furthermore, explain why JR called the match?

Surely it can't be because WWE believes in these guys.

Now, I'm well-aware that if JR got to pick a match to call on Monday night, it would've been Jack Swagger vs. Daniel Bryan. It's well-documented how high he is on both men, and with good cause, because these are two hugely talented guys. But if WWE didn't agree, the match wouldn't have happened. It's not like WWE would just listen to JR's demands. If they did, he'd probably be back on TV regularly (or at least calling PPV's).

Putting Jack Swagger vs. Daniel Bryan on their special "old school" show, and having JR call the match, was very much a statement of faith in both men. WWE knows what they have in both guys. These are two guys that are in the top echelon of wrestling ability, have proven themselves capable of performing well on the mic (despite people saying they'd never be able to), and have both gotten great reactions from the crowd on their respective sides of the spectrum. All-around, quite obviously, they're reliable.

Swagger has already been World Champion, and did well despite WWE's poor booking. And uhh, I'm sorry guys, but if they didn't have faith in Bryan, he wouldn't have beaten a former World Champion.

This might as well have been a World Title match preview.

And that's just what it was: A preview, because knowing what both of these men are capable of in the ring, there's no way they're going to give the full thing away on free TV.

A lot of meaning should be seen in what WWE accomplished Monday night, because I think it's undoubtable that they sent a message to fans about both men: They're here to stay.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Re: Anyone Who Believes WWE Isn't High on Jack Swagger and Daniel Bryan Wasn't Watchi

I suppose it depends what you interpret WWE being "high" on them to mean. They're high on them as upper midcarders but they'll never be a top, consistent main event guy like Wade Barrett or Sheamus or Alberto Del Rio will be. Bryan doesn't have the look or size and Swagger doesn't have the, well...the majority of things you need.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Re: Anyone Who Believes WWE Isn't High on Jack Swagger and Daniel Bryan Wasn't Watchi

Swagger haters will never get why he will be back in the main event someday but seriously I am yet to hear this Bryan hate people are talking about.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

WWE are obviously high on Bryan since the beginning, not sure about Swagger though, they had a chance to cement him as a legitimate player during his WHC reign but they totally blew that opportunity, i mean, if they wanted him to fail from the start, why did they give him the MITB briefcase in the first place then? Such a waste of use of MITB briefcase in my opinion.

By the way, for those who doubt WWE are high on Alex Riley, i might add that on that same night, Alex Riley had a match with John freaking Cena, if that's not a sign that WWE are high on Riley then i don't know what is.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

By the way, i might add that on that same night, Alex Riley had a match with John freaking Cena, if that's not a sign that WWE are high on Riley then i don't know what is.
LOL, it's not. They had Cena squash Riley so that Miz could be involved in the main event storyline while being protected because he's cashing in tomorrow after Barrett wins the title.

And even if they were high on him, that's gone now. He'll never, ever, ever, EVER get a world title push with a DUI on the company's watch. Not if he's around for 15 years. Don't even consider it. He has less chance now of winning the world title than Christian.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

I suppose it depends what you interpret WWE being "high" on them to mean. They're high on them as upper midcarders but they'll never be a top, consistent main event guy like Wade Barrett or Sheamus or Alberto Del Rio will be.
Honestly I am still not convinced Alberto has what it takes to be main event yet
his promos still don't impress me. The only good reaction I hear him get is only in the ring when he wrestles. I know Sheamus and Wade will do just fine, and swagger may be mid card but when the time comes and the booking seems appropriate swagger will be back in the main event. Maybe not holding the title but defiantly in the main event.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts

Good post, understandable but I believe Jack Swagger will be the one who will get the upper hand in tasting the main event/World Heavyweight Championship title. Swagger is all around great, his mic work is passable and will be back on top again in the near future, I’m very positive on that.

Daniel Bryan on the other hand I see him at most getting the Jeff Hardy treatment of always being so close to reach the brass ring but end up failing multiple times. As good as Bryan is, I seriously don’t see anything that is championship material as far as for the WWE/World title concern.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Jack Swagger has already made it. Former World Champ. They can't take that away from him.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

not so sure about the swagster, but he has yet to really prove himself. losing the kurt angle rip off moves would be a start.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

Honestly I am still not convinced Alberto has what it takes to be main event yet
his promos still don't impress me. The only good reaction I hear him get is only in the ring when he wrestles. I know Sheamus and Wade will do just fine, and swagger may be mid card but when the time comes and the booking seems appropriate swagger will be back in the main event. Maybe not holding the title but defiantly in the main event.
If you're impressed by Swagger's promos and not Del Rio's you should probably take a gun and fire off a shot near your ear. Either you'll lose your hearing, or you'll become more alert, and either way you'll need it.

What you think of him is irrelevant. WWE has made it abundantly clear that he's the future of the company. Hell, Cole just blatantly said that he'd be a world champion, and Cole gets his cues directly from Vince McMahon. Not everybody gets to fued with Rey Mysterio as soon as they come into the company. Not everybody also gets a huge, over the top entrance with his own ring announcer, collectible cars and fireworks that rain down from the titantron. They've clearly spared no expense at making him look like a huge star.

And yeah, Swagger will eventually get back into the main event but he's just not going to be one of those guys that dominate. He's gonna drift in and out like CM Punk.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

not so sure about the swagster, but he has yet to really prove himself. losing the kurt angle rip off moves would be a start.
I don't buy this Kurt Angle rip off stuff until I see him start using the Olympic slam.

When he does then he is officially a Kurt Angle rip off.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

LOL, it's not. They had Cena squash Riley so that Miz could be involved in the main event storyline while being protected because he's cashing in tomorrow after Barrett wins the title.

And even if they were high on him, that's gone now. He'll never, ever, ever, EVER get a world title push with a DUI on the company's watch. Not if he's around for 15 years. Don't even consider it. He has less chance now of winning the world title than Christian.
Never say never you know, and i don't think DUI will affect his status much, i mean, everyone does mistakes in their life, as long as he doesn't violate Wellness policy i'm sure he'll still have a chance to do great things in the future. And yes i realize he's fed to Cena to protect The Miz, but i view it more as testing the waters, i think they wanted to see whether Riley could fit in with the top dogs or not, it's similar to how The Miz called Cena out couple of times last year.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

Other than that troll Klebold, who else said Daniel Bryan wouldn't make it? If you came back before the 90 days on your contract is finished, got in the main event of Summerslam, that's right, Summerslam and became US champion a month later and having great matches with everyone, why wouldn't WWE be high on you?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Never say never you know, and i don't think DUI will affect his status much, i mean, everyone does mistakes in their life, as long as he doesn't violate Wellness policy i'm sure he'll still have a chance to do great things in the future. And yes i realize he's fed to Cena to protect The Miz, but i view it more as testing the waters, i think they wanted to see whether Riley could fit in with the top dogs or not, it's similar to how The Miz called Cena out couple of times last year.
A few months ago, Jericho used Barrett as a substitute and I think Cena beat him in under 2 minutes in a Beat the Clock match. It was on the Raw where Bryan wrestled Batista.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

If you're impressed by Swagger's promos and not Del Rio's you should probably take a gun and fire off a shot near your ear. Either you'll lose your hearing, or you'll become more alert, and either way you'll need it.

What you think of him is irrelevant. WWE has made it abundantly clear that he's the future of the company. Hell, Cole just blatantly said that he'd be a world champion, and Cole gets his cues directly from Vince McMahon. Not everybody gets to fued with Rey Mysterio as soon as they come into the company. Not everybody also gets a huge, over the top entrance with his own ring announcer, collectible cars and fireworks that rain down from the titantron. They've clearly spared no expense at making him look like a huge star.

And yeah, Swagger will eventually get back into the main event but he's just not going to be one of those guys that dominate. He's gonna drift in and out like CM Punk.
Yep I see that WWE is desperately trying to shove him down our throats by giving him the spotlight every Friday but buddy don't lie to yourself his promos don't get to much originality. And we already know why he was in a feud right off his debut with Rey he is trying to be the better luchador. I am not saying alberto is crap but the way his promos sit like nothing comes natural to him.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

A few months ago, Jericho used Barrett as a substitute and I think Cena beat him in under 2 minutes in a Beat the Clock match. It was on the Raw where Bryan wrestled Batista.
Funny how drastic things have changed for Barrett now huh, a guy who beat him in 2 minutes is now his servant, lol.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

Yep I see that WWE is desperately trying to shove him down our throats by giving him the spotlight every Friday but buddy don't lie to yourself his promos don't get to much originality.
Yeah, and Angle Jr.'s promos are so original. :rolleyes:

And we already know why he was in a feud right off his debut with Rey he is trying to be the better luchador.
Oh, for fucks sake. I know WHY he's fueding with Rey, in storyline terms, I'm talking about why they PUT him in a fued with Rey. You're crazy if you honestly think that WWE isn't committed to him as a future top player.

I am not saying alberto is crap but the way his promos sit like nothing comes natural to him.
What?

Never say never you know, and i don't think DUI will affect his status much, i mean, everyone does mistakes in their life, as long as he doesn't violate Wellness policy i'm sure he'll still have a chance to do great things in the future.
The DUI crushed his status for life, he's DONE. Why do you think they don't push Ted Dibiase? It's certainly not because he's a boring drone with no charisma, no mic skills and no presence, WWE LOVES those guys.

Not to mention, the whole NXT debacle. 2 mistakes in a matter of weeks is career suicide, let alone a mistake that could've had fatal consequences. Forget it, no chance. Not now, not in a year, not ever. WWE is going to remember this.

What a shame too. He had all the tools to be a huge star, just thrown down the drain so early in his career. :no:

And yes i realize he's fed to Cena to protect The Miz, but i view it more as testing the waters, i think they wanted to see whether Riley could fit in with the top dogs or not, it's similar to how The Miz called Cena out couple of times last year.
You might have a point if that's actually what they did, but it's not. In a competitive match like Cena had like Swagger, I MIGHT buy this excuse, but no. This was a pure squash match. How is he supposed to prove anything when he's being a tackling dummy? It's a moot point.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Jason93 said:
^ Very good point. And on that same point, if Riley is never going to get a World Title push because of his DUI, then will somebody please explain Wade Barrett?

Theoretically, he should have the same problem, if not worse for punching out a police officer.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts

Cena beat Barrett in about 4 and a half minutes. In the same episode, it took Batista five to put away Danielson.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

EvoLution™;9060993 said:
^ Very good point. And on that same point, if Riley is never going to get a World Title push because of his DUI, then will somebody please explain Wade Barrett?

Theoretically, he should have the same problem, if not worse for punching out a police officer.
Punching a cop isn't endangering people's lives.

I can't believe anybody still expects a push for him. It doesn't matter what kind of talent he has, he made the biggest on screen, and the biggest off screen mistake of the year. No way. At this point, he'll be in TNA by next year competing with Kennedy for the title of "biggest potential career thrown down the shitter"

1 - 20 of 64 Posts