Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never seen styles before the wwe. When he came he was cool in the rumble but then his thing with Y2J honestly bored me to tears. Constant terrible matches. No energy in either of them or in the crowd.

So I thought he was just another indy darling who smarks said was amazing just to seem clever about wrestling. However, I was wrong. Styles is world class. He has an energy in the ring which is actually capable of mainstream appeal and honestly he isn't that bad on the mic or anything.

So I am a fan of his.

However there is more to wrestling than in ring work. Both reigns and styles compliment each other in the ring. And whether people want to admit it or not reigns can hang with him in the ring and they are both athletic dudes who have great timing.

But we have to accept that without reigns styles wwe run would be a joke so far. He would already be irrelevent due to the shittiness of wwe if it wasnt for reigns. Reigns is like cena. Anyone who fights him will be involved in a "big match" atmosphere. The crowd will be loud and everyone will debate and care about the results whoever wins. Styles couldnt get that (currently) with anyone else in the wwe. So styles needs reigns to be elevated to someone that wwe casual fans care about. Then even if he does normal (non-title) feuds after that people will care about him. If casuals care about him so will the wwe. They will make sure all his feuds are given some build and so he will stay relevent.

I see alot of people saying styles carries reigns. But, imo, styles needs reigns more than the other way round.

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
Re: Anyone want to admit styles needs reigns?

Or Reigns needs Styles. Or they both need each other. It seems no one cares about Reigns abywau. Just placeholder for when Rollins returns. Your a Mark. So. This thread well prob go 120 replies.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts

Well Styles is the top face right now, and Reigns is the biggest heel (intended or not).

Matches always mean so much more when the audience has a clear favourite who they want to win.

So in that sense I guess they do need each other right now. I don't think any other two guys on the roster could do what these two are doing any better. They have the perfect ying and yang.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well Styles is the top face right now, and Reigns is the biggest heel (intended or not).

Matches always mean so much more when the audience has a clear favourite who they want to win.

So in that sense I guess they do need each other right now. I don't think any other two guys on the roster could do what these two are doing any better. They have the perfect ying and yang.
Yup. I agree.

·
Baby Yoda
29,303 Posts

I somewhat agree with the OP.

AJ elevated himself in the eyes of Vince and the other WWE higher ups after making Roman look a million bucks at Payback.

Being able to make their guy look great is something they'd really value.

They understand they need to keep AJ strong if they are to keep them fighting one another and earning more respect for Roman from the fans.

If AJ didn't have great chemistry with Roman, he'd likely fall back into the midcard and probably be lost in the shuffle.

Then again, it could just be AJ being phenomenal, like we all know he has been for more than a decade.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

I call bullsh*t.

AJ has helped Reigns to one of only a handful of good genuine one on one matches he has had.

Reigns has to be put in the ring with solid workers to make him look decent.

You can't have a good match with someone completely carrying it but you can if someone takes the brunt of the work and co-ordinates the match the way it should be done.

If anything it's the other way about imo. Reigns needs workers to perform.

AJ doesn't need anybody. He could play a game of thumb war with himself and I'd be hooked, that's THE difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts

The Reign/Styles formula is something we've never seen. The match at Payback was outstanding.

I never felt the same about Styles' previous matches in WWE.

His stuff with Okada, Nakamura and Tanahashi were excellent also. But they were all different to what we saw at Payback.

The haters will lay it all on Styles, but not acknowledge that Styles hasn't had a match of that caliber with Jericho or Zayn in recent months.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

HAHA Fuck no. Everyone already loved Styles before facing Roman. Stop trying to get people to except Roman as the current package. Just like all my friends on facebook trying to get my to vote for their candidate. Want to punch them in the face!

:flip
Nah they tried to do AJ Styles chants in the y2j feud and even being led by the crowd nobody chanted it lol. So Y2J had to make up he heard AJ Styles chants (when he didnt) as the reason for them fighting lol. So no, nobody cared about him. Now they do. That is thanks to roman reigns being the draw who can draw attention to lesser stars.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

I call bullsh*t.

AJ has helped Reigns to one of only a handful of good genuine one on one matches he has had.

Reigns has to be put in the ring with solid workers to make him look decent.

You can't have a good match with someone completely carrying it but you can if someone takes the brunt of the work and co-ordinates the match the way it should be done.

If anything it's the other way about imo. Reigns needs workers to perform.

AJ doesn't need anybody. He could play a game of thumb war with himself and I'd be hooked, that's THE difference.
Been telling anyone I've spoken to about this all week the exact same thing.

It's the same thing as Reigns/Lesnar. The opponent made the match, yet people are saying Reigns did his part.

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY on the roster could have done what Reigns did. Few, if any, could have done what Styles did.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts

Nah they tried to do AJ Styles chants in the y2j feud and even being led by the crowd nobody chanted it lol. So Y2J had to make up he heard AJ Styles chants (when he didnt) as the reason for them fighting lol. So no, nobody cared about him. Now they do. That is thanks to roman reigns being the draw who can draw attention to lesser stars.
LOL. Yea that is why AJ Styles sells more merch than Mr. Reigns! GTFOH.

·
Banned
10,724 Posts

I.think its 90% reigns needs great workers to get a good match. And aj needs a top dog like Reigns to produce that chemistry. But op to compare Reigns to Cena is absurd. Hes no where near that lvl yet, or ever.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

I admit that I could have not seen the 2016 Payback main event w/o both of them.
you would have to admit that Reigns pacing of the match was excellent. i heard some comments regarding him being gassed which is total shit.

Reigns set the tone and Styles took that and sent the match to great heights.

both men played their parts, only haters fail to see that, it was a great match.

i wonder how meltzer rated it?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

LOL. Yea that is why AJ Styles sells more merch than Mr. Reigns! GTFOH.
Source?

And he has only just arrived. Even if true this means little. Because people already have all the reigns merch. He has been on sale for ages. A new release comes in (AJ Styles merch) and of course it is likely to sell very well in the first few weeks as all the people who want it buy it.

You clearly have no idea about business lol :grin2:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I.think its 90% reigns needs great workers to get a good match. And aj needs a top dog like Reigns to produce that chemistry. But op to compare Reigns to Cena is absurd. Hes no where near that lvl yet, or ever.
Why was Y2J vs Styles a 2 star match then if they are both so great? And yet he has a 5 star match with roman?? Something doesn't add up. Reigns is a fantastic in ring worker. FACT

1 - 20 of 196 Posts