Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SImilar to the way they did with Desmond Wolfe, only launch him straight to the World Title shot based off the fact that their new guy is "Currently the greatest wrestler in the world" or omething similar to that? I know people don't like mixing MMA and wrestling, but you know how you get people saying "What if [enter name..normally Fedor] jumped to the UFC?". Well what if TNA kinda ran with this idea and kinda created their own deal in the same way WWE done with the MVP signing way back. We all know wrestling is fake. We accept that, but bringing in everyone as a guy that's gonna be built up through the ranks will never works for this company.

Get a guy that is known to have a good wrestling track record and is at least decent on the mic and just let him do what he does. Bring him in as a heel (well once this Immortal crap is done) and have him be unstoppable for a while. Build a strong face up and then you have a chance of building 2 stars, one major face and one major heel. Build the character from there.

Just something I thought up today. Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bad idea, IMO. I think it's been done before and even with mid card belts it's unbelievable and is just away to shove new talent down the throat of the audience. Maybe if it was someone like Bryan Danielson that had credibility on the indy circuit, but it's still going to alienate the people who have no idea who he is. Take for example Robby E,., the kid doesn't have enough experience or in-ring/on-mic talent to run in and grab a belt and only make a guy like Jay Lethal look like a weak champion. When you have a world championship match, you want it to be built up and look like the reigning champion is going to have a big challenge on his hands. You can't just say to the fans "He's the best ever" because it's meaningless and everyone says that. You have to prove it to the audience that he is powerful. It's not the same to have a little squirt (like, say, Shaemus) run in a grab a belt of someone important.

As for bringing a guy in and having him beat a ton of faces with a cocky attitude or self-righteousness, that's heel gold. I literally hated Del Rio because of this angle. Awesome. I didn't realize it right away, but they guy got heat from me. I appreciate that. Not to mention his awesome wrestling style. So maybe it could work, but I'd much rather see young unknown talent be built up. It's makes a championship mean more that way and there are few belts that mean much anymore.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
No, this is why:
wat r tna doing they so retrded lol idc dixie is retard suck hogan dick why is angle not champ
and the fact the rest of the IWC think the main event is too crowded, already.

Ignoring the stupidity, however, I'd agree with AmateurPunkStuff. And we'll probably see a fast rising heel with TNA's latest addition from AIW, anyway.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't agree with the alienating thing simply because this is a TV show and as writers, you're supposed to be bringing in new faces and characters. This also comes into a sports thing. Let's say there was a sports star (Let's use Football as an example) and this person is a rookie but turns out to be REALLY good. Are you as a manager of a team not gonna want to buy this player or not gonna wanna play this guy because he's too good and you don't want to alienate people?

It's how you build stars. Give them character and I'm sure people will care. TV shows do it all the time. I'm sure we're all fed up of seeing the same old faces. My idea may be bad, but I don't agree with the alienating argument.

AIW? That new promotion everyone was talking about?

Although I agree with you for those reasons, Punk, I do understand what you mean about the building thing and wouldn't be opposed to that either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm mean under certain circumstances, it could go awful. If it was built up into a clever debut, sure it could go well. I'm not an authority in the wrestling world...

but if I were to book a match like that, I would have a manager come in blathering on about how he has the all time greatest wrestler for weeks and brag to the champion about how his client could kick his ass. Then they'd do something really cheap to win. That way the reigning champion wouldn't look weak. Or something.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that does make more sense. Especially with the manager thing. That being said do managers exist these days? I don't remember one since James Mitchell. Kinda miss them as most guys have valets (and I don't follow WWE, so I could be missing something)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
It may work for someone like, say, Chris Hero. But that may be bias because I'd be terrified of how they'd use him if he didn't debut in the title scene.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Managers are sort of a lost art, along with commentary, which I suppose doesn't need to be discussed in this thread, but they have a few in ROH. Prince Nana, Brutal Bob, Shane Haggadorn, and Truth Martini.

Ric Flair is playing a manager role to Fortune, I figure.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd call Flair more of a "mentor". Kinda like HHH in Evolution to Randy and Batista. Doesn't really count. I know of Prina Nana from the few times I have watched ROH though.

Defo make a thread on the commentary thing though. Should be an interested read.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
No, the instant push stinks. It has fucking ruined WWE. Unless the guy is something completely ridiculous like when rey misterio first came over and was doing all kinds of shit people hadn't seen, or if it is some mosnter like the big show where you just cant ignore his size.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Basically hot-shot a new, young talent to the top of the card? It could work with the right person (2002 Brock Lesnar), but I'm not sure there's anyone out there good enough for the role right now. The last thing we need is TNA's very own Sheamus; a mediocre new talent stinking up the top of the card. :no:

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
SImilar to the way they did with Desmond Wolfe, only launch him straight to the World Title shot based off the fact that their new guy is "Currently the greatest wrestler in the world" or omething similar to that? I know people don't like mixing MMA and wrestling, but you know how you get people saying "What if [enter name..normally Fedor] jumped to the UFC?". Well what if TNA kinda ran with this idea and kinda created their own deal in the same way WWE done with the MVP signing way back. We all know wrestling is fake. We accept that, but bringing in everyone as a guy that's gonna be built up through the ranks will never works for this company.

Get a guy that is known to have a good wrestling track record and is at least decent on the mic and just let him do what he does. Bring him in as a heel (well once this Immortal crap is done) and have him be unstoppable for a while. Build a strong face up and then you have a chance of building 2 stars, one major face and one major heel. Build the character from there.

Just something I thought up today. Thoughts?
Not really, this is something that would only work if the wrestling scene was as strong as it was 20 or 30 years ago. Back then, promoters like Vince, Crockett, Watts, etc could bring someone n from another territory who a decent percentage of their fans would be aware of, even if they hadn't seen much of their work live or on tv.

These days, anyone who comes into one of the big two (more so WWE than TNA but it's true for both) is going to be a relative unknown as far as the mainstream audience is concerned and needs to be built virtually from scratch. TNA, Wolfe apart, have consistently demonstrated that they aren't capable of this.

·
Banned
295 Posts
The last thing that TNA needs to do is bring in more people when they already do not use the ones that they have. They should get rid of some and repackage a lot of the rest, instead of just spending more money on more people that will never do anything.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
They should have done this with Roode, long before Wolfe. See if Angle would give him a ‘rub’, and go for it. He had to be booked as the most cunning heel in the business. This would have been particularly successful when Angle was the top heel as the leader of MEM.

I can’t believe they didn’t consolidate on all that ‘hottest free agent in the business’ thing. It should have been the natural progression for his character. I mock booked it a while back and everyone jumped on me about it. But, the fact of the matter is, TNA could have swiftly worked their next top heel up the card, and maintained his position, if they did it right.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really would like to see Roode in the position as a top heel right now. That'd be something new and interesting.

I guess my idea wasn't that great though lol. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I could see it working if you a had a good in-ring worker with the right monster look. Just have to give him a backstory of a legit wrestler. Just wouldn't work in TNA. They would build him up for 2 or 3 months and then have him job to Jarrett cause JJ needs to look strong for some other feud he has going on. Difficult to trust to Russo with even simple, straight forward booking of this sort.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
This type of push CAN work and anybody who says it can't doesn't know their TNA history. Like the OP said they already did this with Desmond Wolfe and if anyone remembers, after his feud with Angle he looked like a million bux and was probably the most over heel in the company. He could have easily feuded with AJ for the belt after that and could've won it and made it believable, but for whatever reason, we didn't get to see that and we saw him job out instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts