Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was so fucking awseome back then, I was ten then, he was the reason I got hooked on wrestling. His fued with Cena was IMO the best of the decade, it finishes perfectly in that amazing TLC match at Unforgiven. Everything from his promo's, his entrance, his who mentality in-ring, his attire and let's not forget his amazing, but short lived, Rated R Spinner Title, how bad ass was that?

He is a former shell of him self right now, he's not as bad in-ring as people are saying he is, but his tank is half empty definitely. I could go on all day about how amazing he was back then, since then he has been my favourite wrestler, and I could sit back all day watching promo's and matches of him, but he's just not EDGE anymore, saddens me to say it, but next year I think he should hang up his boots before he gets a real bad injury that will really horribly affect him for the rest of his life. He is one tough SOB though, broken neck, torn tendon and god knows what else and he is still going.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I do but you know, four years and a multitude of injuries is going to take it's toll on anyone so it's not really his fault. He's not awful in the ring, he can still have good matches for sure but his in-ring work is nowhere near what it used to be, probably due to a combination of age and not wanting to get injured again. Still think he's as good as ever on the mic though.

·
Ho!
17,508 Posts
2006 was when he was at his best, though the period from 2005-2008 (up until he left for Summerslam) is the reason I am such a mark for the guy and he's my favorite superstar in WWE of all time (tied with Undertaker). He wasn't as good in ring as he was in 02, but he could still put on a good match usually. He was awesome on he mic, one of the best of the decade (and still is imo), his character was really interesting, had good-great feuds with Matt Hardy, Cena, Batista, and Taker. He also had some mini feuds with RVD, Rey Mysterio, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels (who really helped him start to shine in 2005). Though when he went all psycho for his Summerslam 2008 build up, I was enjoying his character equally as much as I did the Rated R Superstar in 2006. He was on fire, but now...

...now, and since he returned at Survivor Series 2008, he just hasn't been as entertaining. Granted I am one of the few that found the Edge/Bearer stuff recently moderately entertaining, but it's not even close to what he used to be. The writing team just started taking the Ultimate Opportunist stuff to the next level, which wasn't good for Edge who was looking like a pussy champion, or the championship belt, which was being tossed around like crazy. Did you know that 4 out of Edge's 9 world title reigns came during the 5 month period between when he returned, and Backlash 2009. It was like Triple H in 2003-2005 all over again, Edge was always with a title (granted he didn't hold it as long as Triple H did with that 9 month reign, which honestly I don't prefer to hot potatoing the title around, but neither is good). Hell, at EC 2009, he held both the WWE and World Titles during the night (separately), losing one and then gaining the other. It just got ridiculous, and honestly he didn't deliver his promos with the same passion he once did, and he was involved in that crappy World title build up storyline with himself, Show, and Vickie with Cena getting involved, it just wasn't good.

They seemed to be starting to do the right thing with Edge though after he lost the World Title to Jeff Hardy at Extreme Rules. They put him in a tag team with Jericho, became tag team champions, and it was looking like they were going to slowly but surely turn Edge face, building it up like a face turn should and then eventually pulling the trigger. However Edge was injured, and with that injury also went the chance to do a perfect, proper face turn with Edge. So instead they rushed him back for the Rumble, he won it, and honestly for a few weeks after he returned, he was pretty entertaining. His character was tweenerish, remember he also cost Taker a match against Jericho just cause Taker hit him, so Edge was playing an interesting character, on the edge character. But then they started the "spear sear spear" stuff after Jericho won the title, and while it did seem to get some crowd reaction, it just wasn't interesting and got annoying after a while. To top it all off? Jericho beat Edge at Mania for the World Title, and I think that was a mistake. At the tipe, half of me was pulling for Jericho because he would make the more interesting World Champion, and the other part, the Edge mark in me, was pulling for Edge and hopefully he brings something to the table. But at the end of the week, Jack Swagger was world champion, so fuck you WWE!

Anyway, Edge finished his feud with Jericho, turned heel against Orton, and the build up was great. The feud was looking great. All up until Over the Limit... after that Edge became more and more irrelevant, uninteresting, and simply put, boring. He just didn't have any spark, they didn't continue the Edge/Orton feud, and instead threw Edge into the Nexus matchup and build at Summerslam. Then after that, he and Jericho all of a sudden formed an alliance of sorts to find out who the GM was? I'm sorry, but what kind of shit is that? Granted it could have been interesting, but these are two guys who wanted to kill each other earlier in the year, and now they were friends again? WWE logic for you. Anyway, Edge then started his crusade against stupidity which was entertaining, and damn it he somehow made a feud against a computer, even beating down the computer in hilarious fashion. He moved to Smackdown, had some good matches, started the feud up with Kane, as somewhat entertaining with the Paul Bearer stuff, but the Survivor Series match wasn't so hot, and their TLC match probably won't be either.

So yeah, Edge has fallen a long way down from his peak in 2006, but right now at this current point in time, I think he's doing better than where he was in 2009 and before he turned face (again) this year. So let's wait to see what happens. His in ring skills have fallen big time as well, but he can still go on the mic. But the main thing is there is just something missing from Edge he had at that time. I think his passion has gone way down as well with the injuries building up, and I think he doesn't want to go for longer than a couple of more years. I think he's just coasting through these last few years he has, because he doesn't want to risk any potential permanent injury.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i miss 2001-2004 Edge

you all do realise that he wouldn't have gotten that 2005 onwards push if it weren't for him helping Lita cheat on Matt

its because of the talk show drama not because they "finally realised" his talent because if they did he would have been champ in late 2004, no question about it

·
Asuka
96,473 Posts
I definately miss Edge from years past. He's a shell of his former self and should retire, he can't do this well anymore.

I'm still rooting for him to win the world title on Sunday though because his opponent is 5000 times worse.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
During 2006, Edge became my second favorite current wrestler in the WWE second to The Undertaker. I was sick of Cena overcomming the odds and having a title reign as long as JBL's so I instantly became an Edge fan since he was the biggest threat to Cena and was something fresh in the main event scene. Can't forget about the Mick FOely feud and later alliance either, it just made him even better. Unfortunately after he lost the title back to Cena at Survivor Series he got stuck with Randy Orton as the Rated RKO and they began jobbing to DX all the time like everybody on Raw's roster in the past year had been.

I liked Edge winning the title in 2007. Can't comment on his 2008 and 2009 runs since I took a break from the WWE during those years. Nowadays I still enjoy Edge and I'm liking him torturing Kane and Bearer but he's clearly getting older and I don't think his Rated R persona makes much sense anymore due to obvious reasons.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I wonder what would have been of Edge's career if he didn't get injured from 2003 to mid-late 2004, was he going to become a face instead?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
He's four years of bumps older on top of injuries. You can't expect the guy to be the same. But yes, I do miss him. Having anybody at that level of performance is a plus.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
He's fine now, I just liked his appearance better back then. Punk rock asshole with the slutty(gimmick) girlfriend who won championships and acted like one cocky little beast. I want to see that Edge...His beard needs to go too.

·
30,980 Posts
I miss his ruthless pursuit of the WWE championship before he won it for the first time. Shocking to think that he's a 9 time world champion now :/.

That's when he was at his best. It was his first major push with the company so he was making the most of it. He should have had a LONG title reign after he won it the first time...at least as long as JBL's reign. Instead we've got a bunch of short, can't even remember one from the other title reigns. That really can be said about a whole bunch of the recent champions, can't remember one of their reigns from the others.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts