Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know why I got to thinking about this one but any old school fans like myself who remember during the 80's and very early 90's when they would have like five-minute intermissions during the middle of the show? It often made the shows feel pretty large and would end on a specific important match. For instance, Mania VII, had the Macho-Liz reunion be the closer for the first half.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Don't know why I got to thinking about this one but any old school fans like myself who remember during the 80's and very early 90's when they would have like five-minute intermissions during the middle of the show? It often made the shows feel pretty large and would end on a specific important match. For instance, Mania VII, had the Macho-Liz reunion be the closer for the first half.
Interesting because Bruce Prichard's podcast 2 weeks ago talked about these. I remember them. You would get a countdown on the screen (15 minutes I believe) then you would get a series of interviews from wrestlers from the matches that already took place and/or the upcoming ones. I haven't been to a House Show in a looooong time, but they used to have Intermissions too which encouraged visiting the concession stand and using the bathrooms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many PPVs in the 80s and 90s had these. SummerSlam '92's video release had a long break between Crush vs Repo Man and the title match between Warrior and Savage, as evidenced by the outdoor setting of Wembley Stadium. It was only slightly dusk when Crush locked Repo Man in the head vice to conclude their match but 75-80% dark except for the western sky when Warrior sprinted down the aisle to begin the championship match. The interim featured interviews with participants who'd already been in matches along with a lengthily archive footage reel showing the evolution of the Warrior/Savage feud that had carried through the entire summer including the negotiations between the participants and Mr. Perfect/Ric Flair. Then, they showed at least 7 minutes of the tag match where Warrior and Savage were paired up against the Nasty Boys from Saturday Night's Main Event the previous week. The WrestleMania VIII VHS also had a long intermission after the Flair vs Savage match where they showed highlights of the Fan Festival from the day before including a look alike contest, video game tournament, and banquet with a Q&A session where fans could ask questions to a panel of wrestlers including Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Jake the Snake Roberts, and Sgt. Slaughter. Then, they cut to exclusive footage in one of the backstage hallways at the Hoosier Dome of a hobbled Savage being helped by Miss. Elizabeth excitedly talking about his recent recapturing of the WWF Title from Ric Flair before the camera cut back out to the ring and Rick Martel was introduced for his match against Tatanka.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,248 Posts
I do. We are all officially old now guys. Sorry to break it to you.

·
Premium Member
43,945 Posts
Yes, and Good God do I miss them. Its nice to have a break, especially for something like Wrestlemania that is 12 hours long, lol.

Though I guess you could say the musical acts now fill that role.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts