Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I love Austin, but the his turn at WM 17 started the downswing in wresting. It was all down hill from there.
This is slightly OT but can't help. I've asked this before and none of the Austin fans have given any satisfactory answer to my question that if Austin missing WWF for straight 11 months gave WWF it's peak PPV buys, ratings and overall business then how come his heel turn cool off the business(since he was pretty much present)?

The truth is Two Man Power Trip sucked, Austin's heel turn sucked, WWF's business sucked because they lost the biggest drawing card of all time to Hollywood. Rock came back but everyone knew it's only a matter of time. He also bumped the business but couldn't sustain because the fad was over and WWF didn't give fans what they wanted(face Rocky taking revenge against Austin).

That's all.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is slightly OT but can't help. I've asked this before and none of the Austin fans have given any satisfactory answer to my question that if Austin missing WWF for straight 11 months gave WWF it's peak PPV buys, ratings and overall business then how come his heel turn cool off the business(since he was pretty much present)?

The truth is Two Man Power Trip sucked, Austin's heel turn sucked, WWF's business sucked because they lost the biggest drawing card of all time to Hollywood. Rock came back but everyone knew it's only a matter of time. He also bumped the business but couldn't sustain because the fad was over and WWF didn't give fans what they wanted(face Rocky taking revenge against Austin).

That's all.
Also, the absence of WCW took the energy out of the industry. Being a wrestling fan was less fun.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It sucked because

1) There were no guys on their level to compete with. Sorry, but at that time Undertaker was not on that top tier level.

2) It made absolutely no sense for Austin to align with the guy who arranged for him to be hit by a car....and for HHH to align with Austin who dumped him inside a car from a forklift. When HHH showed up on the RAW after WM 17, he should have challenged Austin citing he beat him at No Way Out and not joined forces with him.

3) HHH was an alpha male after splitting from Shawn Michaels. It was out of character seeing him be side by side and playing second fiddle tk Austin, the WWF Champion....ESPECIALLY since HHH was obsessed with being WWF Champion.
Agree with everything except #1

Taker has always been a top guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
HHH was suppsoed to be a face and lose to Austin at Backlash 2001 per Bruce Pritchard but he refused which hurt the company with Rock leaving, that left no faces. What should have happened was Austin beats Rock clean at WM 17 and then feuds with HHH until Judgement Day 2001 where Austin would beat HHH inside Hell in A Cell.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It seemed so off lol Triple H walking around with the IC title and taking orders from Austin, Austin acting like a wuss and acting all chummy. How did anyone take this ish seriously LOL ?

Made no sense at all from a creative stand point.
They were building towards a Triple H face turn but the injury he sustained and plans for The Invasion halted it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts